New rifle build questions

codyarnold

Hey guys looking to build a good long range hunting rifle. Was thinking of going with a model 700 sendero. Not sure on a caliber yet. I was looking into the 300 rum? Don't know if you guys like it. Wanting to but a nightforce nxs scope on it. What size scope should I put on this rifle. Any feedback would help guys

What are you planning to shoot with it and at what ranges?

I have two Senderos in 300 Rum and they are both very nice rifles but it's not a caliber for everyone or every application.

The main difference in it and the 300wm is about the same performace +200fps which equates to roughly 200yds difference in bullet drop meaning the same drop at 1000yds with the Rum shooting the same bullet as the 300wm at 800yds.

That extra performance comes with quite a cost though in terms of components, increased recoil and muzzle blast and reduced barrel life.

If you plan on shooting in high volume the 300wm is many times over more economical.

I'm looking to shoot big game like elk moose bears at 1000yards
Either will do then, the RUM just does it with a bigger thump.

The biggest difference is recoil and barrel life between the two.

If you aren't going to shoot a lot then the Rum makes sense. If you do plan to shoot a lot then the wm makes more sense.

I have both caliber mentioned, as I'm sure Wildrose also does. I have both caliber with a muzzle break and without. With a break I find them both plenty tolerable to shot. Without the rum will get my attention. My thought is that in order to be a good enough shot to be shooting at game at 1000 yards a person is going to have to put in a good amount of trigger time. And that equates to a number of rounds down the tube. Both rifles will do the job but the fact still remains that the 300 wm will have a longer barrel life.

I Like the Nightforce nxs 3.5x15x50 or 56. While they are a little heavy, do feel they are durable, dependable and very reliable. Good luck

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.