New rifle build question

Ohiohunter,

I agree 6.5-284 lapua is fantastic brass. I necked some down to make a 6mm-284 and loaded it near max. Brass still has tight primer pockets after 12 firings.

I actually use neck turned Winchester 284 win brass for my sporter. I bought hundreds back when Win announced they would be a limited run. They shoot just fine in the tighter chambered 284.

If I had to do it again with today's brass I would be trying some Norma 284 win brass.

A friend has a 280 AI made by Kenny Jarrett co and it is a wonderful shooter. Nosler is the brass he uses.

Truk505, you should have a great rifle in a very useful chambering.

Thanks for the replies guys, I'm really looking forward to the new Nula, I'm sure it'll make for a nice hunting rifle.

I'm not worried about the recoil, I've got a Kimber Montana chambered in 280ai and had a Sako Finnlight in 300wsm so it's not something I'm worried about.

I mostly concerned with the preformance of the 284win vs the 280ai.

I have 284 build long action and 280AI build Rem action. My wife hunted with me and she used Model 24 made before Mel sold ULA to Colt.

I understand you just want to buy brass and not worry about neck up etc.

I didn't have Mel do the work but had Kreiger put on to match existing contour chamber for the 280AI. My wife quit hunting with rifle and now is into archery and hunts with a bow.

I have no plans on sell that rifle so don't think I'm trying to sell it.

If it was me I'd get the 284. The model 24 is nothing more than mini model 700 short action convert over to long action. You can't seat bullets out in that action.

If you can seat bullet out on 284 your going to be about same performance as 280AI on model 24 action.

I have 284 build long action and 280AI build Rem action. My wife hunted with me and she used Model 24 made before Mel sold ULA to Colt.

I understand you just want to buy brass and not worry about neck up etc.

I didn't have Mel do the work but had Kreiger put on to match existing contour chamber for the 280AI. My wife quit hunting with rifle and now is into archery and hunts with a bow.

I have no plans on sell that rifle so don't think I'm trying to sell it.

If it was me I'd get the 284. The model 24 is nothing more than mini model 700 short action convert over to long action. You can't seat bullets out in that action.

If you can seat bullet out on 284 your going to be about same performance as 280AI on model 24 action.

Are you comparing your 284 long action build and 280ai built on a rem action to a 280ai ULA?

From what I understood it's the fact Melvin builds his rifles based on what he refers to as the North and the South as his platform, anything done north of the front guard screw is done to the south to keep the rifle perfectly balanced. I know it means nothing on the bench, but as a hunting rifle it makes all the difference in the world. Although I've never actually handled a Nula, I'd hope it's a little bit more than just a short action Remington converted to a long action.

Otherwise I just wasted about $3000.

Are you comparing your 284 long action build and 280ai built on a rem action to a 280ai ULA?

From what I understood it's the fact Melvin builds his rifles based on what he refers to as the North and the South as his platform, anything done north of the front guard screw is done to the south to keep the rifle perfectly balanced. I know it means nothing on the bench, but as a hunting rifle it makes all the difference in the world. Although I've never actually handled a Nula, I'd hope it's a little bit more than just a short action Remington converted to a long action.

Otherwise I just wasted about $3000.

I guess I should of said the model 24 action is a mini copy of the Rem 700 short action but convert magazine over to his long action. Both actions are same length and guard screws same distance.

Since I have 280AI on model 24 and if I was going to compare 284 that Mel made and was able to seat bullet out I would get the 284 assume both have same barrel twist/length.

For what it is worth, my friends 7-08 NULA has a 3.1" mag box. This is the rifle I previously mentioned: he asked to have in 284 win and at the time Melvin said the quality of the Winchester 284 brass was not that good, best he make a 7-08.

Thanks for clearing that up Tom.

I had a 7mm-08, its a nice cartridge but I much prefer the performance of my 280, so I sold it.

I know the 7mm-08 is a capable cartridge, but I'm really looking at a 284 as a minimum performer. I sold a 300wsm to help fund this rifle so I'm looking to to replace it with something that has a bit more pep than a .308 based cartridge. In all honesty though, I never really spent much time developing loads for my 7-08.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts