Rifle build question.

GetReel

I am ordering a Defiance Classic LA receiver from Pucker Factor for a 7PRC build.
I am trying to put together a rifle to be shot suppressed. Leaning towards a 22" barrel and I would like to have an overall weight in that 6lb-6 1/2lb range (before optic and suppressor).
My question becomes, should I try and balance the barrel weight with the stock weight or lean heavier one way or another?
Gonna do a steel fluted barrel.
Suggestions?

I am ordering a Defiance Classic LA receiver from Pucker Factor for a 7PRC build.
I am trying to put together a rifle to be shot suppressed. Leaning towards a 22" barrel and I would like to have an overall weight in that 6lb-6 1/2lb range (before optic and suppressor).
My question becomes, should I try and balance the barrel weight with the stock weight or lean heavier one way or another?
Suggestions?
I see you said "suppressor". So, the contour consideration should be based around what the suppressor manufacturer recommends. My opinion anyway since I just went through this decision process.

Suggestions?
Run your components' weights (action, stock, trigger, mag/DBM) +base/scope rings/scope, + suppressor + accessories (sling. bipod, etc.) and see if the hunt-ready weight is something you can live with. Good luck!

Barrel heavy tends to be fine, but barrel light sucks. The suppressor will help with that for sure. I've just noticed that a couple rifles I have that are wood stocked with pencil barrels don't "float" as well shooting offhand as a heavier barreled rifle, even if weight is overall the same.

That build wont be hard to do in that weight .. I just weighed a complete rifle with specs as follows at 6.8 pounds

classic long action w/rail
bart #3 22" spiral fluted
Bix tac sport x
hawkins m5 hunter
manners PH stock non chassis
apa micro bastard brake
Have you had luck with a suppressor on a #3 that is spiral fluted? I just bought one and was wondering if I should have bought a heavier barrel.

3b has enough meat on it to give up some decent flutes.
A #4 is a piece of steel! I like and use them but it's going to be close to 5lbs before chamber/flute.
Bartlein, to be clear.

Last edited:
Have you had luck with a suppressor on a #3 that is spiral fluted? I just bought one and was wondering if I should have bought a heavier barrel.
yep lots.

but i also dont use heavy not good quality cans.. a #3 22" is a pretty rigid barrel considering

I wouldn't hesitate on second

That build wont be hard to do in that weight .. I just weighed a complete rifle with specs as follows at 6.8 pounds

classic long action w/rail
bart #3 22" spiral fluted
Bix tac sport x
hawkins m5 hunter
manners PH stock non chassis
apa micro bastard brake
Got a pic of that 22" #3?

If you use that conversion in the last post as a rule of thumb, that will likely cover most manufacturers and get your pretty darn close for steel barreled rifles. You can go to each manufacturer's website to confirm if you are interested in a particular barrel or profile.

I used to be in your shoes but once I pieced it together it became much easier. Adding carbon to the mix ramps up the confusion.

Last edited: