New 6.5 Idea

Reloader 17 was the first powder I tried in the 6.5-284 but it is way too fast for bullets over 100 grs in the WSM. It will not fill to 75% with 130 gr bullets. I consider that dangerous. I would think that Reloader 17 would be outstanding in the Creedmore or 260 Remington with the mid range bullets.

I have tried Superperformance in both the 6.5-284 and 6.5 WSM. I will say I like the powder in the 6mm Remington with 90 gr Accubonds. I have not found another niche for Superperformance where I was rewarded with either velocity or consistency. The local Cabela's salesman at the reloading counter swears he has gotten the amazing velocity listed on the container for Superperfomance in the 300 WSM with 150 gr bullets. I have tried several primers with it. I like 210Ms in the 6mm Rem.

Reloader 17 is a great powder for 100 and 107 gr bullets in the 6.5WSM but it will not fill the case with heavier bullets. If I was interested in shooting the 107 Lapua at 3800 or more fps, R-17 would be great. VV N-550 was just as good but I did not wind out either powder with these bullets.

Well guys I finally found time to do some more velocity testing today. The weather was tolerable for a change so GoodGrouper and I hit the range for another session with the 6.5 BPX.

WE started out with IMR 4831-- Temp in the mid 40's and a right to left breeze @ 2 mph

47.5gr---2954 and 2958 fps --- ( 1 fouler )
48gr-----2994 fps
48.5gr---3028 fps
49gr-----3061 fps

The first two went into .120 then the third, fourth and fifth moved up and right about 1/4" but the next three went into a .101 . The last shot was starting to show a bit of pressure so I didn't shoot the rest of the string. This powder appears to be another good candidate!!

Next up--- H 4831

48.5gr---2895fps
49gr-----2916 fps

49.5gr---2929 fps
50gr-----2949 fps
50.5gr---2985 fps
51gr-----3024 fps

This was a disaster!! I shot the string with a loose Brake !! STUPID !! Old Age, LOL
I don't think this would be the powder anyway, with the way others have shot, but it deserved a better chance than I gave it!!

Next up --- RL19

48gr-----2937 fps
49gr-----2972 fps
49.5gr---3013 fps
50gr-----3037 fps
50.5gr---3070 fps
51gr-----3090 fps

Rl 19 showed some decent shot clusters but not like some of the others accuracy wise but the velocity was amazing!! The last shot was showing a little pressure but not bad. 51gr was 100% filled.

Next up --- RL22

49gr----- 2997 fps
49.5gr---3012 fps
50gr----- 3059 fps
50.5gr---3071 fps
51gr----- 3101 fps

Good old RL22!! First three shots went into .214 !! This load window will be hard to beat. Never found pressure but no matter since I couldn't get another tenth of a grain in there anyway.

We learned today, that this bbl with this cartridge does not want to be shot at velocities exceeding 3060 or so. You can see it in the higher velocity groups.

I thought that a couple of these powders would be too slow for my little case but I found out different today. I think shortened cases with less taper have a tendency to alter burn rates. I believe it's due to less powder kernels in contact with the brass case making a more efficient burn!!

I'll see if I can get Steve to post some pictures of the groups tomorrow. Thanks for taking another look at our Thread. Hope you are enjoying our efforts. ---- RHB

Well guys I finally found time to do some more velocity testing today. The weather was tolerable for a change so GoodGrouper and I hit the range for another session with the 6.5 BPX.

WE started out with IMR 4831-- Temp in the mid 40's and a right to left breeze @ 2 mph

47.5gr---2954 and 2958 fps --- ( 1 fouler )
48gr-----2994 fps
48.5gr---3028 fps
49gr-----3061 fps

The first two went into .120 then the third, fourth and fifth moved up and right about 1/4" but the next three went into a .101 . The last shot was starting to show a bit of pressure so I didn't shoot the rest of the string. This powder appears to be another good candidate!!

Next up--- H 4831

48.5gr---2895fps
49gr-----2916 fps

49.5gr---2929 fps
50gr-----2949 fps
50.5gr---2985 fps
51gr-----3024 fps

This was a disaster!! I shot the string with a loose Brake !! STUPID !! Old Age, LOL
I don't think this would be the powder anyway, with the way others have shot, but it deserved a better chance than I gave it!!

Next up --- RL19

48gr-----2937 fps
49gr-----2972 fps
49.5gr---3013 fps
50gr-----3037 fps
50.5gr---3070 fps
51gr-----3090 fps

Rl 19 showed some decent shot clusters but not like some of the others accuracy wise but the velocity was amazing!! The last shot was showing a little pressure but not bad. 51gr was 100% filled.

Next up --- RL22

49gr----- 2997 fps
49.5gr---3012 fps
50gr----- 3059 fps
50.5gr---3071 fps
51gr----- 3101 fps

Good old RL22!! First three shots went into .214 !! This load window will be hard to beat. Never found pressure but no matter since I couldn't get another tenth of a grain in there anyway.

We learned today, that this bbl with this cartridge does not want to be shot at velocities exceeding 3060 or so. You can see it in the higher velocity groups.

I thought that a couple of these powders would be too slow for my little case but I found out different today. I think shortened cases with less taper have a tendency to alter burn rates. I believe it's due to less powder kernels in contact with the brass case making a more efficient burn!!

I'll see if I can get Steve to post some pictures of the groups tomorrow. Thanks for taking another look at our Thread. Hope you are enjoying our efforts. ---- RHB

Roland....I will admit that I am really surprised at the velocity you are getting! I never thought it would happen even though , as you know, I am doing something similar. This is amazing and very good accuracy potential too. CONGRATULATIONS! I guess this may bode well for my new case:D......Rich

Thanks Rich, I suspect your case is at least 10 grs larger in capacity and proportioned similarly so I'm betting it will be plenty fast!!! RHB

Thanks Rich, I suspect your case is at least 10 grs larger in capacity and proportioned similarly so I'm betting it will be plenty fast!!! RHB

The capacity should be very close to 71 grs. but with the .320" neck, the base of neck capacity is approx. 67.........Rich

Well finally got a minute to post some pictures RHB brought over to me of the 6.5 BPX.
The velocity is where we thought it might be and the case, although it's been shortend can still hold enough of the slower powders to see some pressure signs. RHB stopped going up when he saw any signs of a shinner on the case head so I ran the info he gave me on quickload adjusting the case size and volumne the best I could and I matched up his velocities pretty good.
When he saw the shinner on the back of the case, the info from quickloads showed the loads to be above 66000psi and the next charge down drop the pressure below 64500 and did not show any thing on the case heads.
As you can see from some of the targets the premium velocity is 3050??? and we all new that would be the case.
Now its time for load developement," this little case is going to shoot one hole groups at 3050" and has a large node for accuracy and if the temperature goes up or down this little gun looks like it will just roll with the punches.

Very happy with the outcome, now time to see if we can come up with a little easier way of making the brass, the procedure RHB is using now won't let us share this nice round with very many people.

Thanks for following thread we will keep posting as we move on.

Attachments

• imr4831.jpg
    imr4831.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 82
  • h4831.jpg
    h4831.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 75
  • rl19.jpg
    rl19.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 82
  • rl22.jpg
    rl22.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 79
Thanks for getting the pics up Steve, it shows some great potential !! I'm still bummed about the brain fart with the H4831 test though. If it is going to be a one holer at 3050fps we will probably need Goodgrouper to do the shooting!!! I better take a little time and put the fireform rifle together and get some brass fireformed so it's a little easier to start load development.--- RHB

Montana, even though RL17 and IMR 4831 showed excellent potential, it was obvious that they were too quick burning. The rifle started handling better as we got to the slower powders with much less squirming around during recoil. What little recoil there is!!

I'm thinking we should try RL 22 and 19 when we start shooting groups. They both achieved the great velocity so effortlessly it would be stupid not to give them both a try!!

It's still a mystery to me how the same charges of 22 gave more fps than 19. Seems like a slow lot of RL19 and a fast lot of RL22?? I guess we'll find out as we go along with load development.
---- RHB

If it is going to be a one holer at 3050fps we will probably need Goodgrouper to do the shooting!!!

Naah, you did fine! And so did the rifle/cartridge. Once again, I was very impressed with what I saw this wildcat do. It hasn't disliked a powder yet. The H4831sc target was the only one that showed something wasn't going to be deadly accurate, and in the end, it wasn't the powder at all! No powders shoot well with loose brakes!

We owe that powder another test run. But honestly, I think the forthcoming load development will show that it's going to be a coin toss!!! There's only a handful of cartridges we can say that about.

We probably should run the H4831 test again G.G. and I bet it will be a toss up on powder choice. The biggest problem We have is getting 140gr Berger Hunting VLDs and a supply of the powder we choose after load development is completed. I hope the Hoarders get their fill soon so we can run our business!!! Thanks for all the help!! ---- RHB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.