new project idea/questions

Kevin

I currently have a remington short action. My goal is a handgun with a 1000 yard kill potential on elk. My thought on cartridge choice for this is 338-284, shooting 300gr smk of course.

First, just in general, what do you think?
Second, any ideas on what max velocity would be out of a 15in barrel?
Third, what twist would be required?

Thanks for any input

Sure got me on that one. I'm suprised sscoyote hasn't chimed in, I believe he's a handcannon guy.

Personally I don't see how sending the 338 300 could be a wrong choice.

a 1000yd pistol that will not only hit an elk but kill one. that will be some kind of weapon!!!!! no offense meant just kind of amazed at the idea

MTBA,

I think that most of us on this site are a little leery of downplaying another's longrange idea because we have received such bad attitudes from so many others that don't believe in long range hunting. So rather than disagreeing with your idea, most are practicing the concept of "if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all." Maybe, maybe not...

Starting velocity = 2020 fps.

15.0" barrel/ 300 gr. SMK/ 3.100" oal.

Here are the statistics at 1000 yards:

1199 fps. remaining
1.95 seconds Time to Target
957 ft/lbs of energy remaing
-528" Drop with a 200 yard zero
82.6" Drift with a 10 mph. wind at 90 degrees

You judge for yourself.

Regards.

[ 07-25-2004: Message edited by: Crispin Goodall ]

I don't know but, there is a guy that only hand gun shots and kills every thing from prarrie dogs to big game in africa. I can get his name for you, maybe he can help. he's a friend of a hunting club buddy.

crispin and mtba i didn't mean to say anything to offend. i just would never have believed a handgun round would be able to retain enough energy to do the job at those ranges. the accuracy would not be a problem i understand that. as you would be shooting from a bench and 1 moa accuracy would do. but from the looks of your data it very well can be done. mtba just kind of blew my mind with the suggest. i wish you both well in your shooting

What is this "handgun"? The name seems sort of familiar.
frown.gif

1 I think it is possible
2 I have no idea what you would get out of a 338/284 in a 15" barrel
3 At least a 10t but you may need a 8t or 9t

I will have a 338 Lapua IMP the first part of SEP in a handgun. MY goal is to shoot paper out to 1 mile and hunt to a range I feel comfortable with. Here is a Pic of the gun with a diffrent barrel.
203674.jpg

Crow Mag

I think a 9t would work and Krieger makes some of the best barrels out there. I am using a lilja 10t and am hoping for 2500+ FPS I know of 1 guy shooting a 338 WSM and some shooting the 338 win mag. I think the WSM would be a good choice.
Crow Mag

Looks good Crow Mag, I was thinking a 9 twist would be best, most companies I talked to don't make a 9 twist but krieger said they would make one for $25 extra so thats not to bad.

What scope are you using?

I havn't had much to do with large caliber handguns, but wouldn't the recoil on a gun like the one you are talking about be astronomical? Also are you going to be shooting from a rest/bench or standing (not at 1000 yards but while hunting)?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.