New 338 win mag project, need ideas

tlittle

Hello all, I just registered after reading threads for days. Lots of good info here, maybe to much for one man to process! I am not new to shooting, I have hunted and shot for years. I am an army vet and competition pistol shooter, most of my rifle experience has been hunting inside of 400yds and recreational target shooting. I am no expert thats why I am here. All my experience is on 308/7mm/243 so this big mag stuff is new to me.

After reading and researching for weeks I made a purchase this morning to start a project. I was looking for a stevens 200 for my build but the only one I could find locally was a 7mm so I ended up buying a Savage 111FC 338WM new. I wanted a 300 but I couldnt find a cheap enough donor rifle, and the ones I could afford new had some upgrades but not enough to justify cost. So for $350 I got a Savage non-accutrigger 111 with 3x9 cheap scope. I plan to ditch the stock, trigger, barrel and scope for sure. This will be used for target mainly to see how far i can go, deer antelope and maybe elk hunting. I know the 300 would have been better for distance but I am working with what I can get right now. I bought one box of shells with it and dont have dies or reloading supplies for it yet so I am not married to the caliber if it can be easily changed to something better?

Questions/reccomendations for budget minded setup.
Stock?
Scope? (Prefer mildot)
Barrel? (Any other possible caliber options for this that would be better)
Trigger?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.