new project idea/questions

Bearing in mind the admonition: If you don't have anything good to say....

But, then he asks:
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>First, just in general, what do you think?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Okay, fair enough.

I think it's a bad idea for 1000 yard elk, and no harm at all, for targets. How far do you suppost an elk can move in 1.95 seconds? You realize that it's a "handgun" in name only, right? I suspect the muzzle blast would be formidable?

Other than those reservations, sounds like fun.
smile.gif

Good hunting. LB

I have not decided on a scope. I have 3 rifles in this cartridge but the hand gun is an experiment I may send a Leupold 36x out to have the eye relief lengthened. I am anticipating some recoil with the 338 lapua as one would with a 45-70 shooting 500g bullets or a 458 Win Mag or the 500 Alaskan all in hand guns . Set up wrong these cannons will kick the snot out of you
grin.gif

Crow Mag

Yes LB, I did ask what think. Thank you for your input.

Immortal Wombat
I am not sure how it is going to be to hold but I would guess that with some practice a standing shot at under 200 yards would be possible. But for anything longer than that or whenever possible I have tripod style rest that may be used while laying sitting or standing, that is very stable.

MTBA,

I have a 338 WSM in a 15" XP-100 that is producing 2900 fps with the 180 gr Ballistic Tip and a solid 2800 fps with the 200 gr pills.

I would imagine that with a throat cut to proper dimensions it would be possible to get moch more velocity then what your goals are for the 284 case.

I would also recommend trying some of the 300 gr ULD bullets from Wildcat Bullets as they offer higher B.C.'s then the sierra which will be all important in your project.

GOod Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.