300 win mag ammo ideas

Highvoltage

Looking for your go to ammo for an elk hunt for a 300 Winchester. I'd like to stay in that 165-180gr range. Has anyone tried the hornady outfitter 180 gmx? I know a lot of guys run the vortex 180 Barnes and I might give that a shot as well. But what's the 1 ammo you grab that has shot well from a variety of 300 win mags in your experience? Is anyone shooting the federal premium stuff? Thanks and best wishes

Many moons ago, Remington 180gr Corelokt were my go to. Always accurate and the deer were DRT. At the time, my rifles (2) had 24" barrels.
These days, all my 300's have 26" barrels and run handloads with 180gr Accubonds, 200gr Accubonds & 210gr ABLR's.
None have had factory ammo through them.

Cheers.

Barnes or Hammer 150 gr size bullet. Will shoot thru two elk side by side. Penetrates thick muscle & dense bone. Almost zero blood shot meat. I use the 120/121 gr version in my 6.5's to take my elk each season.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.