Rifle project questions

Thebear_78

I just made a trade for a McMillan a4 stock, a 30" long broughton 5c 1-11 308 barrel blank in rem varmint contour, and a trued Remington 700 magnum action. I had on hand a Nightforce scope base, Nightforce 30mm rings, and a TIMNEY rem 700 trigger. All I would need to finish this up would be some bottom metal that accepts AICS magazines.

I was looking to put together a long range hunting rifle in a 300 mag. I have a 300 RUM in a light weight hunting rifle and the difficulty in finding brass has me looking to one of the other 300s. The tried and true 300 win mag seemed hard to beat. The 30 nosler is intriguing but I wonder if it will feed thru AICS magazines. I also wonder if brass will be available.

My only real reservation is that the barrel is 1-11. It seems most of the good long range bullets require a 1-10. In reality I would probably be shooting 200-210gr bullets. The hunting I would be doing would be caribou and moose, with the occasional bear. I would need a bullet tough enough to deal with those bigger animals so the light jacket target/tactical bullets are out.

Is it worth making a 1-11 300 win mag?

Is the 30 nosler significantly better than a 300 win mag?

Anything else I haven't considered?

The .300 WM is indeed awesome and hard to beat. One of my .300 (SAKO M995) has a 1:11" 24" barrel and has harvested an elk at 931 yards with 190g Berger. While this combination is great, I'd prefer a barrel with a faster twist to take advantage of the heavies with higher BC offerings.

IIWY, I'd sell the 1:11" and get a 1:9" or faster twist barrel, but that's just me. My latest build (.30 Lara) has a 27" SS Lilja 1:9" 3-G Sendero contour and will be lading the 230 Bergers. Again, that's just my personal preference.

Good luck!

Ed

There is nothing "wrong" with an 11twist. You might not be able to use 200+grain bullets, however, that is a "might". You won't know until you try.

IMO 190s vs 200s is not much of a loss but what do I know. LOL.

I looks like a fine build.

On to 300 WM vs 30-Nosler.

I don't shoot a 300 WM in the belted 300 class, I shoot 300 Wby. We all are familiar with the 300 WM so I can only say that it is a fine way to go.

The 30-Nosler is the new boy in town. I built a variant, a 308/26-Nosler before Nosler announced the 30. There is a difference between the two. 308/26-Nosler is a 26 necked up vs. the 30-Nosler which has the shoulder moved back .050 but keeps the same case length for a longer neck. A couple grains of capacity.

vs. the 300WM, they both fit in the same action. One has a belt one doesn't. The 30 or 308/26 will have more powder capacity and that capacity does equate to faster at the same pressures.

The decision comes down to what you want based on your preferences. I prefer to avoid belted designs except for Wby chamberings. I collect Weatherby's for use as builds. What I prefer may not be anything like what you prefer.

Thebear_78,

I think the .300 Win. Mag. is an excellent cartridge when loaded with the proper bullet for the game and fired at the appropriate velocities.

One of the .300 Win.Mags that I have is a 26" barrel with a 1:11" twist because that's what I had on the rack. It's cut rifled not button like your Broughton. You need to check yours a couple of times to be sure that you have an authentic 11 twist.

I can shoot the 200 gr. Partitions, AccuBonds and the 210 gr. Berger VLD Hunter with no trouble whatsoever. This is at the upper end of a higher node, not the slow pitch softball velocities that some favor.

The only time it can get dicey is when I try to switch to the 200 gr. TTSX-BT which is really long at 1.6" and needs all of the 1:11" twist I can get. If it's a little cold, I would guess that there might be the potential for a little instability. But you can drop down to the 180 gr. TTSX and make any shot you want in any temperature range necessary and enjoy harvesting the biggest game. This is also the same combination I use with my .300 H&H which is nearly the same case capacity.

It's still all about shot placement and energy on target. There is plenty of energy, you have to make the best shot.

Regards.

Your hunting elevation will have a lot to do with whether or not an 11 twist is suitable? As has already been mentioned, you may be limited to about 200 grain bullets. I had an 11 twist on an ultra, but I was hunting at 4000' and above. It shot VERY well with 200 grainers. My first choice, if I were you, would be swap barrels, as Feenix suggested. The farther you shoot, the less stable the bullet will become and when you are running on the edge, it could be a problem......rich

I sold the barrel today. Now I'm wondering if I should stick to 30 cal or step down to 7mm. There seem to be some very impressive 7mm cartridges and bullets out right now too

I sold the barrel today. Now I'm wondering if I should stick to 30 cal or step down to 7mm. There seem to be some very impressive 7mm cartridges and bullets out right now too

Get an 8 twist, chamber in 28-Nosler and you will rule the world! Mohhahaha.

I wait, that's me.

No seriously, get an 8twist and go big.

You can't beat .30 cal holes in game !!! Just get yourself a faster twist .30 cal blank to handle those long heavy bullets. Take your pick, .300wm & .30 Nosler, the difference between them will never be noticed by any game animal at any range. Make sure you get a nice neck diameter, a couple of thousandths total will keep your brass lasting a long time and should improve accuracy..all these choice matter before you send your smith work order, take a breath, sit down and weigh everything BEFORE you start anything. Good Luck

The .300 WM is indeed awesome and hard to beat. One of my .300 (SAKO M995) has a 1:11" 24" barrel and has harvested an elk at 931 yards with 190g Berger. While this combination is great, I'd prefer a barrel with a faster twist to take advantage of the heavies with higher BC offering.

When it is due for a re-barrel, it'll be a 1:8" twist and hopefully by then the 245s are out ...

I'm going to talk to Kirby Allen about it but I'm pondering going with a Bartlien gain twist from 1:10 to like 1:9 for the 245gr Berger EOL. In hopes of maybe being able to drive it slightly faster than a full 1:9

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.