New 6.5 Idea

Bounty hunter, I would love to try some MRP but it's tough to find around here.I have been thinking about trying MRP for a few weeks now. I know it's way more consistent than RL 22. I think Norma cherry picks the good batches and the rest becomes RL 22. If I had a just enough to shoot a few rounds to verify that it was a good candidate for the 6.5 BPX, I would try to find ten pounds.

------ RHB

I have heard exactly that! The RL powders are Normas seconds......Rich

XMAS is coming early in Utah. package will go out tomorrow.:D

Graf and Sons and Black Hills were the only two distributors of MRP and last I knew one shipment a year.

7-8 yrs ago, five of us bought the entire shipment. I had 50 lbs originally. I am down to about 9 lbs left.

Bounty Hunter, Thank you so much for the help. This will certainly speed up the powder testing for me. Good things happen on L.R.H. for sure. Let me know how I can repay you ?? RHB

Bounty Hunter, Thank you so much for the help. This will certainly speed up the powder testing for me. Good things happen on L.R.H. for sure. Let me know how I can repay you ?? RHB

Let me know how this works out. I might want a barrel chambered IF recoil is not an issue. I just had three discs taken out of my neck and all fused togher and my 338 Lapua Ack Imp has to find a new home and maybe my WSMs.

That leaves me with a 25-06 Tikka T3 and a custom 6.5x47 semi tactical steel match rifle.

parachute accidents and old age sucks.

Sorry to hear about your neck fusion. I had my lower back fused back in the 80s,'twas no fun. It all worked out in the long run. Good luck with the healing process!!!
The recoil is not much at all, about like a 223. Of course it has our titanium brake on it! It's not a bad kicker even without the brake. The issue is still the brass. I'm still trying to streamline the process so it's not so expensive!--- Thanks again --- RHB

I have a 6.5 barrel that I haven't decided what to do with..:D was thinking 260 ai bc of short action, but this wildcat seems pretty cool!

Bountyhunter, Thanks for the early Christmas present !! ( Norma MRP ) It showed up ten minutes ago. Now I can get some more testing done, assuming the rain lets up. Thanks again. ---- RHB

Roland,
Just talked with the customer we put 6.5x47 together for with a Proof Research Barrel, A3 stock.
Here's a picture of his target at 100 Yards 5 shot group, he didn't measure it but looks like it could be under .100
This Gun was top of the line components Atlas Action, McMillan Stock, Proof Research Barrel.

123 A-MAX RL15 another success story.

Attachments

• 0404131025.jpg
    0404131025.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 85
I just love innovation. How much powder will it hold? Do you need to compress the loads?
Does it like slow powder like H1000?
Keep up the cause, pushing those high BC bullets has many applications.
Please keep me up on the progress

Looks good Steve, ol' Crazy Peay is loving that!! He is out there right now trying to decrease the wolf population with his newest rifle!!He said if the 6.5 x 47 wasn't strong enough medicine, he was taking along the new 7mm WSM we just did for him just in case. He's been shooting that one out to a mile and says it's super accurate as well!! Hope he succeeds with the wolf hunt!! --- RHB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.