New 300 RUM Remington SPS upgrades needed, Help?

RyanG

I just received a new Remington 300 RUM SPS, this has the 26" sporter barrel. This rifle has only been shot 6 times. My question is, other than a new stock which is on order, what are the first changes that I should make to improve on this rifle and its accuracy?

Thanks

Ryan

If the barrel shows promise then stick the action in an HS stock or something better than a plain synthetic one and do the trigger and you will be good to go!

I just received a new Remington 300 RUM SPS, this has the 26" sporter barrel. This rifle has only been shot 6 times. My question is, other than a new stock which is on order, what are the first changes that I should make to improve on this rifle and its accuracy?

Thanks

Ryan

Throw the stock away, replace the trigger, and lap the $&@ out of the barrel. Check the crown, as Remington has been putting out some stuff recently that the crowns are really screwed up. I am a Remington lover from way back. There QC of recent is a little in the lacking, but after you do a few things to fix there shortcomings , the rifle will shoot. I would recommend 2 shot groups, or multiples of 2 when you start load development. That barrel will heat up REALLY quick. welcome to Recoil Management 101. AIM SMALL, MISS SMALL. 7 STW.

First, forget about seating to the lands. Ain't gonna happen with the factory .400" free bore. Get off load development as soon as possible to save the barrel and start looking for a replacement barrel.

Wanted to thank everyone for the input. I have a Bell and Carlson Medalist on order. I'm not even going to shoot it untilled I have that bedded and installed.

Not sure on what trigger I want to go with. I'm also gonna be with the factory barrel for a while because I'm building a 308 right now.

Again thanks!

Ryan

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.