Need some Bullet Advice for Elk

[ QUOTE ]
Ric Horst,
I agree, that bullet is suppose to be tough!
I do believe you, nevertheless is one isolated separate event against a pile of good reports. Stuff happens, I do believe what happened to you is one of those strange, isolated, one in a hundred occurrences. You shot your 300 RUM rifle at 300 Win. Mag velocities, at 600 yards the bullet speed would be around 2000 f/s; it's just not the way accubond works. It has been at much higher velocities, closer ranges and it has held together. You probably won't see that happen again but if you do, let us know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good thing you like the bullet, don't just yet give up on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

HOLY SH!T!! That is exactly what I have been trying to get accross the whole thread.

I have a real easy way to settle all of this.

Everyone should just shoot WildCat bullets. They are rebated boatail with a ultra low drag design. They also are designed for the purpose of hunting, not paper punching.

THis is just my opinion so if you don't like it fine,

P.S. I still think that 200gr accubond will work great for ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Take it easy
Steve

Charles now that is a hole in a deer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Lerch believe me when Richard gets his jackets in I will be stocking up on his bullets for sure. I think weird stuff can happen no matter what you are using it sometimes just happens. This is some great info I know that. Charles we must have talked to the same bullet tech. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I think threads like this are good, because of the wide range of experiences that can be seen. It seems to me based on my experiences and most others here, with bullets and living things, weird sh.t happens sometimes.

Some of my experiences:

Ballistic tips.

Seems you either love em or hate em.
Ive used em to kill around 15-20 deer or so in, .277 and 30 cal. They always gave me complete penetration (from 30 yards to 300) and quickly dead deer. Many on the spot. I did however never push them much past 2950fps. in either caliber.

Accubond, 200gr., 30cal, @ 3030fps.

Have only killed 2 deer with them. Georgia buck @ 150 yards quartering away. Entered middle ribs and exited between front legs, maybe 1 1/2 inch exit, good blood trail, deer ran around 60 yards and died. Alabama buck (not shot by me) shot @ 150yards. Bullet entered right of butt hole and traveled around 3 feet or so, came to rest under skin of opposite shoulder, retained 68% of its weight.

I have to say this bullet is impressive for its BC and accuracy. In my 300 WM, at the velocity stated, I need 25min to reach 1000yds, 300ASL. Accuracy is around 6-7 inch 3-shot groups at 1000yds. To the original poster, Id personally use the Accubond and forget about it.

200gr Sierra soft point boat-tail, 30cal, @ 2850.

Shot a deer in the neck at night for crop damage, barely clipped neck, but had a 3-4inch exit hole. Dropped on the spot. Same box of bullets, Georgia 10 pt. 20 yard shot, quartering away, impact middle ribs, exit between front legs. Exit was as small as entrance. Deer ran around 70 yards with no visible blood trail?

175 Match King, 30cal, @ 2650fps.

Alabama buck, 325yards. Bullet entrance and exit hole same size. Deer ran about 75 yards and died.

Does this 1 experience mean anything? Dont know, Id like to try em again, soo many people have had good experiences with them, was probably one of the freak occurences we're talking about? Did it fail? I dont think it did, it killed the deer and it was recovered.

Take it FWIW.

I see that ballistic tips have been brought up in this little discussion.

here's a surprising experince I had.

Before I or BJ knew anything about long range shooting we were both shooting 125gr ballistic tips in our 300 RUM's.

We were amazed to be able to shoot a decent weight bullet at 3950fps and we thought nothing on earth could be better for killing deer.

BJ shot a little buck at 450yds with this load and I just knew the ballistic tip would literally explode on contact.

Instead in blew completely through the deer. Now it did fling a large amount of blood and tissue on the surronding trees and it did a lot of damage to the deer which only ran about 50 yds. But I was amazed that this combo didn't explode and never exit.

About a month later BJ was able to shoot a 18lb bobcat at 30yds with a 55gr ballistic tip going 4100 fps out of a 243 win. Now i just knew this bullet wold blow a hole the size football on the other side of this little sucker.

Instead the bullet stopped on the shoulder blade and dumped the cat right there.

Those ballistic tips are funny bullets but man they still work pretty good.

Take it easy
Steve

[ QUOTE ]
Charles now that is a hole in a deer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No. This is. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Scan0014_00142.jpg

[ QUOTE ]
Of the three bullets, the TSX, AB, or SMK, that we are discussing. The TSX. All of them will preform at closer ranger, well enough, however the farther you go out, the Barnes gets worse and worse. At 700yds I doubt very likely that it will expand much, if at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
That would be my worry as well. Adding to the construction differences, the fact the TSX will be going several hundred fps slower than the others at that range doesn't help it at all.

I can't speak from experience though, and never will--because I'll be using Accubonds (until Richard gets some jackets!)

Of the three bullets mentioned, I'd chose the 200 AB without hesitation. I did, in fact. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif In two weeks I'll be looking for an elk in Wyoming loaded with 200 AB's. RUM (3180 fps) instead of Win, but if I had a Win I'd choose the same thing.

I experienced something similar with a 150 scirocco off a 7rm, I shot a roedeer ( small deer then ) at some 120 yds, recovered only a small fraction of the bullet.

I´l post a pic if I can.

[ QUOTE ]
Charles,
in my parts most does don't like to brag about their large hole, but she could!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have temporarly given up on my big 30 cal, only because my 270 Allen Mag has taken all of my attention.

I have shot some 210gr Wildcats but they were a very thin jacketed bullet so Richard told me not to use them on large game, anything bigger than a whitetail. They are shooting great in BJ's rifle and I can't wait to see them tear up a coyote.

BJ is gonna order a 240gr 30cal from Richard here soon se we will have to see what it will do.

Take it easy
Steve

Charles you are right that is a big hole. I suppose there is not much tracking when you are putting holes like that in deer. What cal and SMK did you use for that and how far was she?

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.