Need some advice on brakes...

MightyMach

The gunsmith recommended the Shrewd Varmint series over the Holland QD for my 300 RUM. I've never shot a braked rifle before so I was wondering what anyone thought of the two and really wondering what those of you that have used both think is better.

I appreciate any responses. Thanks!!

I'm not too big on brakes. However, I do have a Vais brake on a heavy varmint rig that works well. I found two problems with the Vais:

1. It has holes all the way around the brake and can not be shot from the prone position without kicking up dirt all over the place.

2. The many small holes in the brake are a PITA to clean. I soak the brake in Shooters Choice for awhile and then have to use a Q-tip to clean each hole individually. Not my idea of a good time. :>)

Last edited:
The Shrewd brakes do work well but not as well as the baffel style brakes like the Holland , Defensive edge , Allen and SSG's V-port

excellent, I appreciate the feedback! Where is the cheapest place to order the Holland QD? I was going to have the shop order everything but after seeing their markup on the shrewd and trigger, I have decided to just get the parts myself.

Thanks a lot!!

Definantly go with the Defensive Edge or holland brakes. the partition, baffle style brakes in my experince work much better than any port style brake. I have used a few Holland brakes and was very happy with them but now i have used 2 Defensive Edge brakes and they will be my go to brake from now on. I have seen a decent reduction in recoil from the DE to the Holland and both work well but the DE works a little better. I suspect this is because of he large surface area of the partitions in the brake but you would have to get Shawn Carlock or maybe Kirby Allen to tell you better. Either way you go just make sure you get a brake that IS NOT ported on the bottom of the brake or you will be wearing whatever is underneath you when you pull the trigger.

give the DE brakes a try

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.