Need some Bullet Advice for Elk

[quoteIn a perfect circumstance, yes. But that statement alone is like a foundation built on sand. Here's a similar argument: Are we to believe that a 1 ounce shotgun slug will not put any deer down if shot within, say 125 yards? You'd think with that much lead, a big IOWA buck would go down 100% of the time. I lived and hunted there for 5 seasons. 4/5 years I killed a buck (wih my bow) that had a shotgun slug embedded in the shoulder, neck, rump. A friend of mine shot a nice buck with his 44 Rem mag pistol at 11 steps. He found 2 shotgun lead slugs in it. It had 2 abcessess from old infections.

In one sense, I am comparing shotgun slugs to MK bullets, short range to long range, but the concept is the same. Do they kill based on weight? ( which you brought up).

MK for long range, yes. However, there are always the closer shots than expected. I still live in the midwest and only a shotgun is permitted for deer unless you use a ML. I wouldn't dream of hunting a deer with a shotgun.

I have personally had 100% success with Mk on deer, even as close as 35 yards. But the argument that I read isn't really whether or not the MK will kill, but instead, how fast will it anchor the animal and what is the track record for any given distance.

Starting to sound like AR? Why? Advice was requested regarding bullets and elk and members are responding....nothing wrong with posting opinions based on experience. Obviously this holds true for us shooters that do indeed use MK for game.

Of the three bullets, TSX, AB, and MK, which do you believe has the highest probability of "failure" at any given distance? Failure, meaning, not anchoring the game within a few yards from where hit, since we've already established that all 3 will kill.

[/ QUOTE ]
Nothing puts deer down 100% of the time. Are you saying that a 1 ounce slug doesnt kill whitetails? Are you saying that a 440gr lead bullet traveling 1600fps will be stopped by a deer? You are aware that quite a few bear guides use that exact combination for dangerous bears, right? There's not a whole lot of small armes that can match the terminal ballistics of shotgun slugs.

No, I never said bullets kill by weight. They kill by tissue destruction and/or hemoraging. A 220gr matchking impacting at 3,000fps creates quite a bit of tissue damage.

dakor, never asked which will drop an elk faster. But if you want to go that way, not that you can predict what an animal will do when shot, (unless you interupt the CNS), as thats based on alot of varibles, the 220gr MK will probably drop an elk faster then the other two, due to more tissue destruction. Though I wouldnt hold my breath for any of them to. As far as track records go I tried to point it out that your bad expierences with MK's, was limited to two deer, shot at close range, with one caliber and light bullet. Mine is based on multible calibers, multible weights, distances from 3-1400yds, and several, several animals. Not that your expierences are any less valuable then mine, there not, it just seems that you might be lacking enough samples to get an accurate statistical average.

On the AR comment, just noticed quite a few posts lately giving bad info, especially in regards to match bullets, based mostly out of ignorance. It was not directed at you, or anyone in particular.

Of the three bullets, the TSX, AB, or SMK, that we are discussing. The TSX. All of them will preform at closer ranger, well enough, however the farther you go out, the Barnes gets worse and worse. At 700yds I doubt very likely that it will expand much, if at all.

Failure doesnt have anything to do with not anchoring game withen a few feet of where hit. How did you come up with that? If thats the case, I guess that 750gr Amax failed on a 150lb "mammal" cause "it" moved after being hit in the chest. Once again, unless you interupt the neural pathways, or CNS, no bullet ever made, will guarantee a drop.

ric, ...I´m not saying the smk won´t work, just considered the accubond better in this case IMO

I am gonna agree with alg here and again say the AccuBond. Not that I don't think the SMK wouldn't kill anything it hits but the accubond is created to offer controlled expansion at a varity of speeds and distances.

I you had asked me this question 6 months ago I would have said to go for the lightest possible bullet that will blow up on contact beacuse I thought the sheer transfer of energy would kill.

I know better now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I wouldn't want a bullet to break in half or zip straight through a animal, which is what I saw some SMK bullets do in test material. I want a bullet to expand to nearly twice its original size and penetrate most of the way if not all the way through the animal.

Just my opinion and I ain't saying its worht $H!T. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Take it easy
Steve

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing puts deer down 100% of the time. Are you saying that a 1 ounce slug doesnt kill whitetails? Are you saying that a 440gr lead bullet traveling 1600fps will be stopped by a deer?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. In fact, when I brought it up, I started with "Are we to believe that it wouldn't put a deer down..." But they sure didn't kill the deer that we put down. And that small statistic was too much for me. I wasn't there, I didn't see what happened when the deer were hit with slugs. What I can tell you is that 5 of them survived, until they met us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
You are aware that quite a few bear guides use that exact combination for dangerous bears, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. But I'm sure they're not using that medicine at 125+ yards on them.

[ QUOTE ]
No, I never said bullets kill by weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

But that was the "meat" of your question as when you brought up the MK bullet weight.

[ QUOTE ]
They kill by tissue destruction and/or hemoraging. A 220gr matchking impacting at 3,000fps creates quite a bit of tissue damage.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless the HP closes on impact, then it pencils through exaclty like the Barnes.

[ QUOTE ]
dakor, never asked which will drop an elk faster. But if you want to go that way, not that you can predict what an animal will do when shot, (unless you interupt the CNS), as thats based on alot of varibles, the 220gr MK will probably drop an elk faster then the other two, due to more tissue destruction. Though I wouldnt hold my breath for any of them to.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're a better man than me, I always hold my breath and hope the bullet kills quick. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
As far as track records go I tried to point it out that your bad expierences with MK's, was limited to two deer, shot at close range, with one caliber and light bullet. Mine is based on multible calibers, multible weights, distances from 3-1400yds, and several, several animals. Not that your expierences are any less valuable then mine, there not, it just seems that you might be lacking enough samples to get an accurate statistical average.

[/ QUOTE ]

I did not list any bad experiences with the MK. I've had 100% success with them.

[ QUOTE ]
On the AR comment, just noticed quite a few posts lately giving bad info, especially in regards to match bullets, based mostly out of ignorance. It was not directed at you, or anyone in particular.

Of the three bullets, the TSX, AB, or SMK, that we are discussing. The TSX. All of them will preform at closer ranger, well enough, however the farther you go out, the Barnes gets worse and worse. At 700yds I doubt very likely that it will expand much, if at all.

[ QUOTE ]
Failure doesnt have anything to do with not anchoring game withen a few feet of where hit. How did you come up with that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Initially it wasn't my intent, but on many forums "bullet failure" seems to be a hot topic. Obviously, both of us as well as many others have had success using a MK on game. Therefore, since the killing ability had been established for this bullet, the next step is: if the bullet did indeed kill, then just how far did the animal make it before it finally died? There was a post earlier where someone wrote about a "mortally wounded elk going a half mile." That to me is unacceptable.

[ QUOTE ]
Once again, unless you interupt the neural pathways, or CNS, no bullet ever made, will guarantee a drop.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was MY point. Therefore, it is still my opinion that a MK carries higher risk if the bullet does not indeed have a favorable POI. I would trust an AB or TSX to penetrate to the spine of an elk over the MK at any distance between 50-600 yards. I base this on a hand full of game I've seen shot with MK bullets that I loaded for 2 fellow hunters that requested them. 1 HUGE Missouri deer lost. 4 of us standing there, the bullet hit right behind the shoulder at about 190 yards from an .06. The buck high jumped and took off. We never found him after a very long tracking job. My friend in CO has a brother that loads. He lost a good 6x6 bull elk after the MK hit it at roughly 250 yards. They watched it run into a canyon and up the other side. They found blood and tracked it for a day. 4 days later they found a dead elk, bear eaten, and the head cut off.

I'm not by any means diminishing the MK ability to kill. I know it will, I have a few deer on the wall to prove it. It is just not my first pick, and it will, in my mind, always remain a controversial slug for big game.

Derek, its obvious we arent going to agree. But its fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can you explain how a HP closes up on impact? When somebody says a MK's tip closed up, I laugh... Alot. I would love for you to show me a recoverd MK that "closed up" and didnt tumble, from a RECOVERD animal, and the autopsy pitures to prove it. Brotha... It just dont happen. And thats the problem with ancedotal reports. There just that, someones oppinion, and whats funny is they NEVER come with a recovered deer. They always come from people that made a bad shot, and either really thought they made a good shot, or more likly just cant admit they F'd up.

Derek, honestly I'm not trying to be an ***, but all of yor accounts have no basis in proof. Just because someone says something doesnt mean it happened or that there telling the whole story. How do you know that bullet "hit right behind the shoulder". Were any of you on glass? You didnt find that deer so how do you know where it was hit or the terminal damage? The elk doesnt tell us anything either. They shot, aparently a bad one, and found some blood. They found a dead elk 4 days later, eaten and missing a head. And I'm supposed to believe a Barnes would have "dropped that elk like the hammer of Thor" given the same crappy operator performance? Not likly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
As far as the the MK's you have seen or heard about "failing" what caliber, weight, distance, and was the animal recovered or not?

This is what annoys me about this subject, people believe whatever fits there situation best, regardless of reality, stating half truths and conjecture, even in the face of commen sense. For people reading this and are unsure or believe match bullets zip right through, or completly blowup like baby powder, hey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif theres an idea, then we can medicate them after that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gifsilly ol' bullet bounces right off, you can believe people that there only negitive remarks involve subjectation, unrecovered animals, and personal opinion, or the shooters, some of which have shot hundreds of animals, which only care about using the best bullet for the job without bias, that includes accuracy, BC, and terminal performance. If MK's "penciled through" "blew up" or didnt penetrate, I would have stopped using them after the first couple hundred deer.

dakor,
I have also been trying to get ready for my first elk. Last year I hunted them in Idaho but wolves were in the area and this year I'm going to Colorado. No experince yet when it comes to shooting at one!
Here is, nevertherless, my imput:
<font color="blue">Trace 1: Accubond 180
Trace 2: Accubond 200
Trace 3: MatchKing 220 </font>
Based on the given info down below, the 200 Accubond is the one that at 700 yards hits harder, is faster for better expanding, and close to the 180 grains for MOA adjustment.

dxft6b.jpg

Good Luck to you!
Javier O. Moncada.

Charles,
since you stated this is what annoys you about this subject,i'll respond by saying back at cha.just because you've shot a couple hundred deer and haven't had any fail,that means they are the cats meow.every time someone talks about a match bullet failing everyone screams bloody murder like there's no way and make them out to be a liar.if match bullets were the best thing for hunting,why would sierra even make all of those other bullets? match bullets are,generally speaking,more accurate and a higher BC.there simply would be no reason to make anything else.the reason is every once in a while,the bullet will fail miserably.ask the engineers at sierra.they won't reccomend them for hunting.they're tough to beat for long range,but for up close, there are better bullets.my opinion is based on the millions of rounds that sierra has tested and the 2 times i've seen them fail out of about a dozen animals shot with SMK's

Eaglet thank you for the chart. I think I am going to use the 200 AB. I like that it is close to the 180 for drop. Eaglet where did you get that program it looks sweet!!! I am sorry guys that this post turned into the god awful SMK debate. I am still going to try them out on deer in November just to get an idea of what those big 220's will do. Thanks for all the input everyone!!!

[ QUOTE ]
Derek, its obvious we arent going to agree. But its fun. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Can you explain how a HP closes up on impact?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly but it occurs the same way when a Barnes fails. The amount of hydrostatic shock outside the tip is greater than what is inside the hollow point.

[ QUOTE ]

When somebody says a MK's tip closed up, I laugh... Alot. I would love for you to show me a recoverd MK that "closed up" and didnt tumble, from a RECOVERD animal, and the autopsy pitures to prove it. Brotha... It just dont happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Think about what you just asked. That is my point, and thanks for agreeing. You will NOT find the animal when the tip closes up as it pencils through, just like a field point would on an arrow. The animal survives long enough to go very long distances as the lungs are not deflated. Thus you will never find it to take pictures for "proof." You won't recover the game and you certainly won't recover the bullet. Laugh a lot? I guess it's funny. But this is where I will stand the ground and I respectfully say, You're wrong. It happens and it has happened more than once.

The same holds true for ballistic tips. You know as well as I do that their are those that are for them and those that despise them because of "failures", "blow-ups", and on and on. Well, I too laugh at this "blow up" thing. I've used Btips since 1990 and have taken a few hundred deer in the south. Never a failure, no matter the impact. I've taken deer in MO, KS, TN, AZ, CO, and WY with Btips. Never gave it a second thought...why? Because they've worked For ME. Just as the MK has 100% success for you (and me too, don't forget that...I've stated it more than once). And even though I may laugh, I do not discount another's experience that the same bullet may have failed for them.

[ QUOTE ]
And thats the problem with ancedotal reports. There just that, someones oppinion, and whats funny is they NEVER come with a recovered deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, and they probably never will, because it is unrecoverable. Opinion, no, mine is based on first hand experience in the field. Of course this is how we come to conclusions and form our opinions.

[ QUOTE ]
They always come from people that made a bad shot, and either really thought they made a good shot, or more likly just cant admit they F'd up.

[/ QUOTE ]

You keep Agreeing with me and I don't think you realized it. You just backed up my point from the get go. What if they make a bad shot? In terms of those who do not admit to messing up, well, I will and always do. I'm the first to say, I SUCK, if I screwed something up.

[ QUOTE ]
Derek, honestly I'm not trying to be an ***, but all of yor accounts have no basis in proof.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you ARE bold. Let me guess, and all of your accounts do? You haven't proven a thing to me. How do I know you do what you say, kill whay you claim, etc.?? How do I know you don't set up a target at 50 yards and shoot a group and claim it to be 400? Get real sir. I take your posts at honest value and give you the benefit of the doubt, but you seem to have a genuine problem with offering someone else the same courtesy.

I take that comment as accusing me of lying. Not very nice of you. No basis of proof? Let me say this, I've been reading forums about shooting, reloading, hunting, etc. for a few years now. Only in the last couple have I began to join in. This topic of "proof" seems to be set with those that cannot accept someone elses posts when it doesn't agree with Their experience, hence that person must be lying, BSing or similar. Yet, I'm viewing pictures of animals and targets taken with certain broadheads from bows at 122 yards, 1/4" groups at 600-700 yards with 5-6 shots from factory Ruger rifles made in 1988, etc.

To say that my accounts have no BASIS of PROOF is to tell me that I really didn't see what I saw. That is a bit bold don't you think? How do I know you've taken "X" amount of game with a MK bullet and never F'd up? I'm not asking you to believe me, but I think when members share their posts and experiences it is unkind to suggest that those who's experiences fail to echo yours are liars.

[ QUOTE ]
Just because someone says something doesnt mean it happened or that there telling the whole story.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does this apply to you too?

[ QUOTE ]
How do you know that bullet "hit right behind the shoulder". Were any of you on glass? You didnt find that deer so how do you know where it was hit or the terminal damage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny you should ask, in fact we were all glassing. Brian was the shooter (a **** good one at that), and Evan was video taping. A review of the footage assured us all of a good hit, which we already knew. For what it's worth, I was using Leica optics.

[ QUOTE ]
The elk doesnt tell us anything either. They shot, aparently a bad one, and found some blood. They found a dead elk 4 days later, eaten and missing a head. And I'm supposed to believe a Barnes would have "dropped that elk like the hammer of Thor" given the same crappy operator performance? Not likly! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually the elk does tell us something. It tells us that not only will we NEVER know if the shot was "apparently a bad one" as you insist, or whether or not it was absolutely perfect. Since we are into "proof", then there's also equally no proof that the bullet didn't pencil through, or shatter on impact, right? We'll never know. And to answer you question about the Barnes, if the latter is the case with the MK, then yes, absolutely, I have no doubt that it would have been a better choice at that distance range. Drop like Thor's hammer? We'll never know.

Crappy Operator performance? That is extraordinarily suggestive of you. You weren't there. The bullet Might have actually failed but that is unacceptable to you so it is automatically operator error? How about this, perhaps it was Crappy bullet choice for that scenario? Thus CRAPPY OPERATOR DECISION.

[ QUOTE ]
As far as the the MK's you have seen or heard about "failing" what caliber, weight, distance, and was the animal recovered or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I've never reported a hearsay only about a MK that didn't kill. I was either there or reviewed video footage. That said, the .06 loads I did for Brian were 180's and I'd have to ask about the elk but if I recall, it was a 220 in a 300wmag. But, I cannot promise you on the latter. Before Brian bought the .06 from a mutual friend of ours, Keith took several whitetails in Alabama and Tennessee with the same rifle/load. Actually, I was new to reloading back then and told Keith to buy some Sierra Hollow Point boat tail "hunting" bullets. He showed up with Matchkings and I didn't think anything of it. Ultimately, it was my error for not catching it, but I knew nothing of Sierra's line, and to me, a HPBT only needed to say on the box: 180 grains, and .308 caliber. Turned out to be a heck of a load.

[ QUOTE ]
This is what annoys me about this subject, people believe whatever fits there situation best, regardless of reality,

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking.

[ QUOTE ]
stating half truths and conjecture, even in the face of commen sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never stated a "half truth on this thread or any other. That is the second time I take it you are referring to me as a liar. In the face of common sense? Quite frankly, and according to Sierra, then common sense should tell everyone to never use a match grade bullet for hunting. But we do, because some of us have had great success. Your comments mirror my thoughts but yet they do not apply to you somehow. You speak of common sense and are quick to label another as telling lies because you have allegedly dumped a few hundred deer, and guess what, I have no problem believing you, but it seems the moment ONE experience isn't favorable with the MK, your coals get hot.

[ QUOTE ]
If MK's "penciled through" "blew up" or didnt penetrate, I would have stopped using them after the first couple hundred deer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that's what I say about Btips and I've killed more than a couple hundred deer myself, using pistol, rifle, ML, and my favorite, archery. It's a deer a day in Alabama and I grew up there. I've probably killed 40-50 with MK bullets and the destruction was impressive, no matter the distance.

I agree with you certainly that we do NOT agree. I will also include that being called a liar is certainly not "fun." I saw what I saw. I tracked a couple of deer that managed to get 10x further than a liver shot deer with a bow after they were hit QUITE WELL WITH A MK. I do not appreciate your comments as you and I do not know each other. I have absolutely no satisfaction on debate based on lies or half truths. I enjoy good experiences from the forums and read a lot more than I post, but just because someone emphatically denies ever having a MK fail doesn't mean it doesn't happen given the fact that no 2 shots are alike, EVER.

I see patients in my office everyday that deny or are in denial that they'll NEVER get a disease, illness, spine disorder, etc., because "it's never happened before." Or they are immune to injury because the "hundreds" of times they've done a certain task has never caused a herniated disc before...well guess what Brotha, it happens. It may not have happened to you "yet" and it may never will. But it happens. Good day.

I will not be following up with this thread as I leave for Wyoming tomorrow for antelope. I think I've been insulted enough.

dakor,
You're welcome!
The program is Ballistic Explorer, I've played with many and this one I like a bunch. You can get more info. right here.

dxiys5.jpg

dxjk44.jpg

OK boys... I'm gonna ruin your peaches and cream afair of the Accubond...

I will say I like the bullet but it ain't the any better then the SMK....

situation....

Oct 2004, Antelope hunt Medicine Bow Wyo.
Rifle Rem 700 Sendero
Caliber 300 RUM
Powder H4831sc
Bullet 200 gr Accubond
vel 2850 fps

ANntelope ranged at 600 and change + or -

Results... shot placed mid chest...
POI mid chest
results: accubond strikes a rib and proceeds to explode and fragment so bad that it literally gutted the antelope with a fragment... 1 more shot needed to dispatch animal

myself and 2 other board member witnessed this...

accubond are made to hold together this one most definitly DID NOT

I still like the bullet though

Thanks Eaglet! I downloaded the trial version I will see if I like it. I emailed one of the bullet Techs at Sierra who I have talked with before. I am not going to give there name but I asked about the 7mm 175 SPBT GameKing and the 175 SMK and the 30cal 220 SMK. I did this because I am also going to have my 7mm STW with and I wanted to see what they would say about the 220 SMK. They told me on close shots I really need to watch where I shoot so I do not hit heavy bone with the 7mm SPBT. They also said that they suggest I stay with a hunting bullet. BUT they said on a personal note, meaning to me that it is off the record /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I would have no trouble with the Matchking. Now lets not get ugly about this but I figured I would post it just so people would know what one of Sierra's bullet Techs said. I am going to probably still use the 200gr Accubond as I like the drop, Velocity, and energy out to 700 yards. If I was going to shoot farther then that I would use the 220 SMK. They pretty much shoot the same at 300 yards so Accuracy wise I do not belive one is any better then the other. Thanks again for the info guys.

Ric Horst,
I agree, that bullet is suppose to be tough!
I do believe you, nevertheless is one isolated separate event against a pile of good reports. Stuff happens, I do believe what happened to you is one of those strange, isolated, one in a hundred occurrences. You shot your 300 RUM rifle at 300 Win. Mag velocities, at 600 yards the bullet speed would be around 2000 f/s; it's just not the way accubond works. It has been at much higher velocities, closer ranges and it has held together. You probably won't see that happen again but if you do, let us know. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good thing you like the bullet, don't just yet give up on it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

First the personal stuff.

Derek, I think your taking what I'm saying the wrong way. I never said <u>YOUR</u> <u>expierences</u> , I said your "accounts". I have no doubt you saw what you saw. I have doubts they saw what they think they saw.
I never called you a liar, I'm very sorry I came off that way. You have no way of knowing I do what I say I do, unless you come and see it, which your welcome too, but if you do a search of my name I think you'll find quite a few instances where I said, I suck, I F-ed up. I sucked here, because you have taken what I said personal, and that was, and is, not my intention. I really hope you dont leave the thread as I am learning from it, and you, and would like to keep discusing it. In any case have on you antelope hunt, I hope you get a big one. With no bullet failures /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Now the debate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

You say you've had good expierences with BTips. You've shot quite a few deer with them, and have a prtty good understanding of what to expect. Now say on some forum someone says(not you, dont take it that way) "I heard from this guy at work theve shot 13 deer right behind the shoulder, absulutly perfect shots, with 180grBT and that bullet penciled right through on every one of them". Would you believe him? Would it be different if he said they blewup on the skin and didnt even make it to the ribs? Bullets fail, all bullets. I never said they never fail, I said they didnt. Theres a difference. It would be the same as if I told you you arent going to win the lottery. Does that mean its impossible? No of course not. It means a billion to one odds, it doesnt happen. That has been my point this whole time. If that deer you were watching through the glass had been shot by a partition, would your first thought have been, bullet failure? Would you then tell people that partitions are prone to fail on deer size game? Or would you say wow thats wierd, million to one. Its the problem I have, the MK is a proven bullet, Sierra may not say it publicly, but you can ask anyone of there techs, especially Rich Macholz, and they'll tell you they are a great deer bullet. Just as dakor has found out.

As far as not being able to recover deer where the bullet did not expand, thats a two part answer.

First, MK's tip closing up, sure its possible. But then when it hits a denser median, ie.- 90% water(flesh), due to the base of the bullet being heavier, and wanting to travel first, it will tumble, and at all but the lowest velocities will fragment creating massive damage, that is when we get baskettball size wounds. That is why I asked if the animal was recovered, it goes into the second part:

Even if the bullet didnt expand, and defied science, and didnt tumble, it still creates hydrostatic shock, tearing tissue(above about 2,000fps), and leaving a hole. In any case it still creates more damage then a broadhead, and not even comparable to a field point. So saying its "unrecoverable" is fooling one's self. It will still leave at least as good a bloodtrail as a broudhead. That animal is not unrecoverable, that animal can be found, and thats the reason I have doubt. But they never do, and so its a coppout tosay the bullet failed. You have no idea if that bullet failed, or if the billion to one odds struck. I have the perfect example. A few years ago I and two others, Amber was spotting, and Chris was videoing, were LR hunting and I shot a small 4 point buck at 525yds with a 300winmag and 190gr SMK's. Point of impact was center up the body and 4in behind the shoulder on left side. Exit was THROUGH the shoulder blade on right side. He dropped right there. Were all congratulating each other, when that buck decided he didnt want to die. He struggled back to his feet, turned around and walked back the way he came. We were dumbfounded, as we could now see where the bullet exited, bigger than a softball. Amber could see the shoulder blade, (plain as day through the spotting scope), through the exit hole, and blood dripping out. On the video you can see it perfectly, and also so hear our not so G-rated responses. I had no idea where to shoot this deer, there wasnt a whole lot left of his chest, and I didnt think it would do any good seeing as the last one didnt, so I took a head shot, he was behind a tree about ten yards from the woodline, when I shot, and hit the only branch between me and him. It was about an inch thick and it deflected the bullet right over his head. Before I could get another shot he was out of sight. We searched hard that night but could not find him, found a piece of scapula but not him. The next mourning we went back out and looked for about three hours, finding very little blood and bone fragments before we findly found that deer about six-houndred yards from where he was shot. If that deer hadnt turned around where we could see the hole, and if we had not found that deer, I would to this day said that bullet failed, probably stopped using MK's, as that was right when I started hunting with them. But that bullet didnt fail, it penetrated the top of the left lung, sevierly damaged the liver, and destroyed the right lung, before going through the right shoulder blade, leaving a five inch exit hole. That deer was one in a million, he refused to die. But I guess I'm a lucky baterd bause its happend twice. The next year at 270yds, with the same gun ammo, I shot a doe, qourtering away, she dropped, but after a few moments she got back up and ran off into the woods. We went to the edge of the woods and could hear her floping around as she ran off, it being nearly dark and cold we decided to come back the next mourning, instead of running her off, since we werent sure where I hit. The next mourning I found the blood trail immeaditly followed it for about 200 yards, where it was becoming very thin, when I jumped up a doe staight in front of me about 80yds, now truthfully I didnt know for sure it she was my deer as she showed no obvious signs of harm, but I had a pretty good idea that she was, as it was directly in line with the trail, and I had plenty of tags anyway. I shot her and she dropped, this is what I found when I got to her,
Scan0009_0009.jpg

The one in her chest is about five to five in a half inches, and is my second shot. The first one went high, because of "crappy operator" performence. <u>I</u> [censored] up. The one in her neck is bigger then a baseball, and clipped her spine and damaged her windpipe. It only travled through about 4 inches of tissue befor exiting. You can see the tissue is dark, and scabbed over. I have no doubt in my mind this deer would have lived. She was not harmed in the least, even though that bullet hit her spine( but it did not cut the spinal cord), damaged her windpipe and left a 3.5 inch exit hole. My point to all this is if that would have been an average hunter, and didnt find those two deer(esp. the first) they would have blamed the bullet, even more so since they read on a forum that Mk's are unreliable, close up, blow up, or just plain have a tendency not to work.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.