Need long range advice on stock, scope, etc.

I have a good friend who is getting set up for some long range hunting and has started with a fine rifle and is needing some help from others who have gone before so to speak.

The rifle is a Rem 40x in 300 Rem Ultra Mag. He is needing some advice for the best or one of the best scopes, mounts, and stock for precision long ranging.

As the rifle comes from Remington it probably weighs in the neighborhood of 13 lbs so a stock that can be solid poured or have some other means of increaseing the total weight of the rifle would be helpful.

I know some of you have the right answers and will do your best to help. Forgive me for not posting lately, just been busy with other things. Let me know what yall think on the subject and I'll get the word back to him: Thanks in advance: 308

If you are going to laminated stocks, then go to Bruce Baer in PA. He has over 25 different stock patterns and any color combination and can combine parts from each stock for a unique style. Not to mention they are cheaper than Bill Shehanes and no one has ever had to have a Baer stock straightened by the gunsmith. My heavy gun stock was $225 with custom features and just bought a new light gun was $200 inletted from Bruce at the Nationals. Shehanes start at $275.

When you talk "precision" LR, the Tooley MBR style is good they are others. You can go glass or wood in that stock.

As for glass there are several, the Leupolds, the Bausch and Lomb etc. Depends on how much elevation you need and how much money you want to spend. jDefine your parameters. That will tell you what to get in that price range. As for bases and rings, until you know exactly what you want go with the Burris Signature rings with insert kits($50) and give you up to 30MOA built in and you can get set for any style base.

Thanks for your answers they give us a good starting point for some more research.

Most likely bullet will be sierra's 240 MK and looking for perhaps a 1500 yard max no more than a mile tops, this is of course with best case conditions,good spotter, laser ranged, drop chart verified, etc.,etc.
I'm talking about deer, we ain't got no elks or muley's here bout's.

I have 3 rifles equipped with the burris signature rings with the inserts. I have only got around a year of use with the oldest set but I think they are the best way to go for a long range setup. They have a lot going for them for just a regular 300 yard easy toter hunting rifle, IMHO.: 308

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.