new to long range shooting and need advice on scope

Im from Tennessee n have never had to shoot over 300 yrds until hunting in Wyoming last year. I loved it out there. So I'm having a 338 lupua built n was wonder what would b a good scope n what reticle would b good. I have been looking at nightforce but confessed by the different reticles and the moa turrets as for as quarter turn one or1 moa turn. Thank for for any advice

Nightforce is an awesome scope. very good and repeatable tracking. Plus they can take a beating.
Generallly I like the NPR-1 reticle. It provides hash marks for hold offs as well as the turrets for dialing. Or any combination you prefer

I am intrigued by the new velocity 1000 reticle. You will have to make small corrections for field conditions but it may be the best of both worlds. Reticle for holdover and wind to 1000yds as well as the ability to dial if you want.
I think it may work . You will just have to dial a small correction for actual conditions and the reticle wll then be right on. It should prove very fast as well.

for instance
Instead of dialing in 20moa for 1000yds you will just have to dial in a correction.
Of course you will still need to carry a ballistics program /chart for the corrections.
Maybe soon there will be some reviews on it to see how well it works in the field.

I have a sightron sIII 8-32 and it is a great scope

I have used it on everything from my 6br to my 338 lapua imp.
Tracks great and very good glass.

Not as durable as a night force but still a very good scope
Especially for the money

I have a Sightron 8x32 on my Fclass rifle.

i have a Nightforce 5.5x22x50 on my heavy barreled 7mag. I would recommend a Nightforce 5.5x22x50 with MLR reticule and .10 Mil-Radian turrets. You can ignore the recital, until you are ready to learn how to range targets. you can still use the hash marks for windage and not dial in switching wind conditions. It is a fantastic scope for the money. While expensive, the price is not insane like the cost of some other brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.