neck turning tool ?

I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.
I have Sinclair, Hornady and CH. All work well, I find myself using the Hornady set most.

I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.
If you do not mild score marks on your case necks while turning virgin brass you can use either the Sinclair, RCBS, and or other brands that will turn your case necks manually (By Hand)
This can be as slow or as fast as your hands and body will allow, additionally it will also be the most cost effective. However because this neck turning process is only performed generally on new brass and only needs to be done once, if you can live with slight marks on your case necks as stated you are good to go.
Me, I just can't hold my brass shell cases while performing the hand neck turning operation for an extended length of time and the turning marks on the case necks to me are an eyesore, (especially on virgin brass) so I opted to go for a semi- automated neck turning tool.
For my needs I found that the Horandy LNL Neck Turning Tool fit the bill. I have shown my way of neck turning with this setup to others who have chosen to emulate my style. This system will use a cord less drill to perform all the turning of brass case necks.
IMHO it will turn brass necks cleaner and faster with virtually no stress on your hands or fingers. Additionally if performed correctly you will leave virtually none to very very little marks on your case necks from the turning operation.

Just remember to use a lubricant on your case necks as brass itself is very gummy and will gall or bind while turning.
If you opt for the Horandy LNL you must purchase the correct proprietary shell holder. Please note that the LNL is not with out it's shortcomings, but then none of them are really perfect !It will be a learn as you go procedure!!! You must experiment in order to stop your turn length just before your neck's tapered shoulder and not run up on it.

In fairness I have seen certain military branches when preparing rounds for competitions using RCBS hand neck turning tools, and other RCBS brand reloading equipment.
This is where every component that goes into the manufacturing of match grade ammo is weighed, compared, and otherwise scrutinized during said assembly of quality match ammunition!
In the end you must judge for yourself which method will work for you. Hope this helps!!!!

Last edited:
I used to use K&M back when I turned necks. I have brand new K&M in caliber(s) of your choice. Still unpacking boxes from a long time ago, but saw these the other day. It's new/old stock from a long defunct gunshop. Not out to get rich, just passing along a savings. Pricing will be what they cost 25-30 years ago. More details if you're interested. I have to go somewhere now.
I May be interested. What do you have?

I used to use K&M back when I turned necks. I have brand new K&M in caliber(s) of your choice. Still unpacking boxes from a long time ago, but saw these the other day. It's new/old stock from a long defunct gunshop. Not out to get rich, just passing along a savings. Pricing will be what they cost 25-30 years ago. More details if you're interested. I have to go somewhere now.
[/QUOTE
I'm looking for a K&M 223 pilot with the cutter on the end, for removing Donuts. Do you have one???

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.