Rcbs neck turning tool

Thescandinavian

rc90291.jpg

Will this fitt a redding case turner?
l_749007299_1_m.jpg

Is it the same treads?
Am I better off buying a hand held one?

I have tried to use the RCBS 3 way cutter to save time with hi volume cartridges.
They never worked to my satisfaction. The neck needs to fit precisely on the pilot for them to work properly.

Me bad :oops:

98861.jpg

But seams it will fit.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?103281-Redding-Trimmer-RCBS-Cutter-Head
Wonder if the redding pilots will fit.
I just bought one from midway to use with my old Redding #14.....it worked but took a little experimentation to make it cut consistently without jamming.
You will need the rcbs pilot-reamer (the longer style). The redding pilots would be too short.
My method ended up letting the the cutter bar/shaft float with the set screw loose and the case collet crank pushed all the way in while turning it (right hand) while I applied pressure on the cutter shaft from the rear with my left hand.
A light pressure allowed the carbide cutter to ease into the brass and make a clean steady cut.
Was awkward to figure it out but went smooth after that. Case wall thickness was very consistent within .0005 when finished.
Definitely not for high volume, I only had 50 and probably took an hour once my system was figured out.
Good luck

Btw; Midway has several of the rcbs pilot reamers but they don't list 7mm...i ended up ordering the pilot from Brownells.

Thanks a lot.
It might not be the perfect tool, but it looks like it works. Would you recommend this setup or are you only using it because you already had the trimmer? (Where I'm at actually)

Thanks a lot.
It might not be the perfect tool, but it looks like it works. Would you recommend this setup or are you only using it because you already had the trimmer? (Where I'm at actually)
Only because I had the trimmer and the rcbs part was only about $35. I believe my old Redding may have been machined with two different setups because it seems like the collet/crank bore is not perfectly concentric to the cutter shaft bore. That's why I had to "float" the cutter shaft to allow it to feed "straight". The pilot reamers fits very snug in my sized cases so misalignment between the two made feeding with the collet side impossible.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.