neck turning tool ?

I've reading about turning necks and decided it was not worth the time or the cost of the tool...

BUT you rekindled my thought process with your comment "only turn for tight neck chambered..."

How do you know...what are the indicators...that i need to turn the necks?

After you hear what the rifle details are I'm sure everyone will tell me I need to turn necks...

Savage Axis build that the only Savage parts left are the receiver, firing pin, bolt head and associated little parts. The most important part is the Criterion barrel chambered in 6.5-06 Match...then when you hear I've made brass out of 270 Hornady brass. I also have 50 cases made out of 25-06 Harnady brass...for a total of 100 cases. I keep them separated but really have not seen any real difference between the two...
As others have said in this thread, if your barrel has been chambered with a tight neck. One i have is a 284 win. F-class it has a .317" neck and is stamped on the barrel. Factory brass will not chamber until it has been turned. For standard chambers i don't turn- there are a lot of things that will help before turning necks- like shooting more!:)

I case prep in the lathe and it takes 20 minutes to trim 100 cases with the little crow, chamfer the inside of the neck and neck turn with the km chucked up at 680rpm. It doesn't take long if you use a lathe, mini mill or other motor

I used to use K&M back when I turned necks. I have brand new K&M in caliber(s) of your choice. Still unpacking boxes from a long time ago, but saw these the other day. It's new/old stock from a long defunct gunshop. Not out to get rich, just passing along a savings. Pricing will be what they cost 25-30 years ago. More details if you're interested. I have to go somewhere now.

I used to use K&M back when I turned necks. I have brand new K&M in caliber(s) of your choice. Still unpacking boxes from a long time ago, but saw these the other day. It's new/old stock from a long defunct gunshop. Not out to get rich, just passing along a savings. Pricing will be what they cost 25-30 years ago. More details if you're interested. I have to go somewhere now.
I have a 260 Remington, 22-250, 6.5 rsaum. I am interested. Please call me at 504-577-0953.

I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.
I have had good results with Sinclair.

I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.
I've used a KM for many years. Easy to use and accurat.

I bought used forster trimmer of ebay. $40 more into it and you can turn necks.
I mention this not to steer you from the brands you are interested in but because it's a dual-purpose setup could save you a little money in the long run.

Works great for making my .300blk brass from military brass thats to thick for chambering.

I use the K&M neck turner. I have used the RCBS and Hornady neck turners. In my OCD brain they are junk. The K&M neck turner are precise if you follow the instructions. Be sure you get the expanding mandrel, you will need it to expand the case so you have a prefect fit on the pilot. That way you will not have the slop that comes with the RCBS and Hornady neck turners. This is a case of, you get what you pay for. Some will agree and some will disagree, but, it depends on the degree of precision you require. I have bought cheap reloading tools in the beginning, only to have to spend out again to get the tools that really do the job right the first time around,"no fuss" and what is most important. IT'S REPEATABLE.

I use Sinclair. Works great. I measure the neck on all new-to- me brass at four points. If at SAMMI spec and all the same, annotate size it and move on. If any are different, I turn to consistent size.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.