Which neck turning tool?

I started turning necks back in 1992 and at that time there weren't too many neck turners available. I took my RCBS case trimmer and bought the RCBS outside neck turning adapter. It's like a mini lathe. Absolutely no problems ever with it.
Lately I just have Hart Barrel machine a no turn neck chamber and buy Lapua brass. Nothing more than a skimming of the neck just to knock down any high spot. Many cases don't have even 50% of the circumference touched.

Last edited:
Read and read more before buying your first turning tool. I use the Sinclair tool to trim die formed 7mm WBM to 270 WBM with good results. There is a lot to learn about doing it correctly. Also be aware of the dreaded doughnut on the inside of the neck, which you may need an inside neck reamer for. I have the tools to do the reaming coming in the mail. K&M is a good tool also very good. If I can you can, so dive in and turn some necks. Sinclair International has an on line catalog.

I started out with a rcbs neck turner and I'm have issues with inside doughnuts so I sold the rcbs to get a K&M neck turner with a carbide pilot with cutting teeth on it to take the inside neck doughnuts out as I turn....haven't tried it yet but should work good. Also bought a forester trimmer too as it can do pretty much anything and has a lot of attachments to do various things. But the Hornady neck turner would be on my short list for sure.
The carbide pilot effectively removes the "donut" and has fine adjustments that are repeatable. I now prefer this over the 21st Century for necked down brass.
I've read discussions over whether one would prefer imperfections pushed in or out. I prefer neither. True both ways is my preference.

The carbide pilot effectively removes the "donut" and has fine adjustments that are repeatable. I now prefer this over the 21st Century for necked down brass.
I've read discussions over whether one would prefer imperfections pushed in or out. I prefer neither. True both ways is my preference.
A accomplished F class shooter helped me on some issues I'm having, so I changed some of my set up, procedures and tools.
I do have to say that the K&M is pretty awesome. Reams the inside and has a very good clean finish outside. Well worth it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.