Which neck turning tool?

Oldschool280

Hello again,
Recently i have started converting brass from easy to find cartridges to the more obscure types we love to shoot. I have never neck turned a case but would like to be able to fine tune neck tension and also keep brass within safe limits. I would like to know what you guys use and recommend and perhaps i will be able to make a decision on which unit to buy. I don't want to just shoot from the hip

I have tried several different brands and types over the years and found advantages and disadvantages in all. The latest and best quality results Talley have been with the Sinclair that uses an Expander die setup that pre sizes the neck to better fit the neck for precision turning. There are several other makers that have this feature so look at all of them and decide.

The sizing mandrel feature has had the most significant improvement of all and has produced perfect trueness and concentricity. I highly recommend this type of neck turning tool if precision is your goal. The down side is that they take a little longer than the others that automatically feed the cutter.

I have the model 4000 kit with all of the needed mandrels and the hard case, but there are cheaper models that will do the same quality but just don't have all of the bells and whistles.

J E CUSTOM

Sinclair Reloading is a comprehensive one-stop-shop for neck turning gear.
From measurements to final results right there.

Different thickness does affect tension for sure. But I've never heard of anyone 'fine tuning' neck tension via neck thickness.
Tension is fine tuned via length of neck sizing.

I also use the 21st Century neck turning tool and am very happy with it. Very precise and consistent.

If you don't want to spend all the money on the mini lathe setup, just buy the case holder with drill adapter and run them in your cordless drill and neck turner by hand.

I also use the Redding concentricity gauge to measure and verify neck wall thickness. A must have for matching brass to a chamber if running a tight neck reamer.

I bought a F-class rifle at an estate sale. It came with a K&M mandrel die and a Hornady neck trimmer. I have turned a couple hundred rounds on brass with no issues.

I started neck turning with K&M. I shoot tight neck 6ppc,22BR and 222AI. You buy separate turning mandrel then expander mandrel so brass fit over turning mandrel.

I have separate turners for 22,6mm,270,280,30 cal,35cal so when I get one set up I don't have to change mandrels.

I use the Hornady neck turning tool and it's awesome. I don't have any complaints about it. I only neck turn if I have too, but it has done well on my Peterson .284 brass and my Dad's Norma 7mm Rem Mag brass.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.