Which neck turning tool?

I began turning necks with the K&M turner and mandrels. A few years ago, a friend got me interested in the PMA. Now that is all I use. Should sell the K&M's.

E667880A-D0A2-4DF8-9EAC-A79347157943.jpeg
I use the Hornady neck turning tool and it's awesome. I don't have any complaints about it. I only neck turn if I have too, but it has done well on my Peterson .284 brass and my Dad's Norma 7mm Rem Mag brass.
I also use the Hornaday neck turning tool I think it's great never had any problems with my 65x284 Norma or my 338 Lapua brass I start with the sinClaire turning mandrel to push all the imperfections to the outside then they are trimmed off with the neck turning tool I also have a small cordless screwdriver due to it's lightweight also forward and reverse controls right on the Trigger make it very easy

I use the k&m with dial indicator installed and small cordless drill. Works well for me. No experience with the 21st century but looks nice. I have there run out indicator and like it a lot.

Attachments

• D080A282-9A16-4214-B9CC-5E9CA7DD43B9.jpeg
    D080A282-9A16-4214-B9CC-5E9CA7DD43B9.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 120
I also use the K&M tools and have no complaints. Get their case adapter and a cordless drill. Your hands will thank you.

Anybody try the km stuff?
Yep, I started with Forster & ended up with K&M. K&M's mandrel for sizing brass to pilot size works well. Also cutters are radius-ed to match my 300 WM shoulder angle too. I use a 'slow' battery powered screw driver unit too, which helps with consistency of cuts.

I started out with a rcbs neck turner and I'm have issues with inside doughnuts so I sold the rcbs to get a K&M neck turner with a carbide pilot with cutting teeth on it to take the inside neck doughnuts out as I turn....haven't tried it yet but should work good. Also bought a forester trimmer too as it can do pretty much anything and has a lot of attachments to do various things. But the Hornady neck turner would be on my short list for sure.

I started with the Forster also; found it is a ***
Basically the only reason for buying the forester was for the availability of different attachments and the main reason was for full blown inside neck turning and I can have custom inside neck turning bits made otherwise that is it....it was that or the Wilson, which I probably should've gotten, but the forester has more functionality in my eyes. I have a Frank Ford Arsenal case prep machine but if the power happens to go out I can still fall back on a manual setup.

Why is the forester a ***?

Why is the forester a ***?

It is difficult to set up, does not cut smoothly, the stop is a small metal tab that must be bent into position, and more. I still use the Forster for case trimming; that is all it is good for.

Read and read more before buying your first turning tool. I use the Sinclair tool to trim die formed 7mm WBM to 270 WBM with good results. There is a lot to learn about doing it correctly. Also be aware of the dreaded doughnut on the inside of the neck, which you may need an inside neck reamer for. I have the tools to do the reaming coming in the mail. K&M is a good tool also very good. If I can you can, so dive in and turn some necks. Sinclair International has an on line catalog.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts