neck turning tool ?

I use the K&M,as it is easier to set/reset than the Sinclair, and it is actually rather inexpensive to have one set up for each rifle. Like everything,you get out what you put into it.JMHO

Whatever your choice is, remember this: You're buying this tool to make case necks very uniform. Right down to the thousandth. Get a tool that will give you that accuracy. Spend a little more money and you will be much better off. Look at what the benchrest shooters use. Serious benchresters demand accuracy.

I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.
K&M!! K&M Percision is of such high quality, I can't imagine using anything else. AND... their tools are so pleasant to use. BUT... most important is the superb job they do. Accuracy is superb and the finish is incomparable. Looks like the necks were polished, when in fact a slow feed produced superb quality. AND... the tools hold their settings. LAST... there's no neck ID galling as has been reported with lesser brands, which is important for bullet release. That's really important.
K&M turning gear is somewhat pricier than some of the others, but you get what you pay for. Incidentally, I was able to virtually eliminate fliers by turning necks.
I'm in the market for a neck turning tool, Hornaday or RCBS is what I'm considering Are they ok, what works best for you. Don't want to spend a fortune. Hornaday looks good, but I don't know how good it is. Please help me make a good choice.

You can avoid scrapping brass for setup by simply loosening the cutter and first adjusting the length of cut (just touch the shoulder) then remove the brass and adjust the depth of cut with a simple feeler gauge.

I have the Forster and RCBS. The RCBS works well for most cartridges except the 22 Hornet (case holder issues I resolved with modification). I've used the K&M and the PMA owned by friends and I like the PMA better. For 80% uniforming case necks though the RCBS is perfectly fine.

I use the 21st century turning lathe. I use it with a hand drill but they have a new motor setup that looks pretty sweet.

I know I'm high jacking the OP's thread, but it could help other make a decision on what tool, if any they might buy.

Ok...I'm going to lay out the numbers I took off the brass this morning.

The 270 Hornady brass has been fired two times and after the second firing (I measured three cases with the carbon removed...000 steel wool).
. 297

All my fired 25-06 cases are all loaded...

I measure 5 loaded cases of the 270 Hornady brass. I've already labeled the box that these are hunting loads...that why they are loaded with Hornady 129gr SST... 0.2915

Now the shocker...

The Hornady 25-06 loaded cases measure almost the exact same. 130gr Nosler RDF. I measured 10 cases at 0.2910 there was one that was 0.2915

I would not have believed they would be the same...I have trimmed the 270 cases three times...after sizing to .264 and after each firing...

Hello, I shall try to add some light here on this subject. If you cannot load an no neck turned loaded case into your chamber, you do need to turn the neck at least .002, for starters. My background was long range benchrest shooting at 600-1,000 yards. and if you do have such a tight neck you simply have to deal precisely with that challenge or you gain no benefit at all.
You had to turn necks long ago since the brass was simply not as uniform as you can buy nowadays. If Lapua brass existed commonly in the U.S. in the 1960's there never would have been any need to turn necks in the first place.
Go on the Internet and type in Pumpkin neck turner- you will see and orange turner that does this job better than any other. Most people really interested in precise work and very small groups use this turner. I have others and simply can see and , with a .0001 "mike" can measure the consistent difference. I have turned God knows how many necks over the decades, and if I had a choice now would be an unturned neck, with minimal clearance. If you have a tightnecked chamber, you have no choice, but to turn to some comfortable clearance and I think .004 ( total-each side) would give you the maximum benefit for turning, with a safety amount so this weapon can be used in the field.

I have neck turned, the RCBS, Lyman, and some others are just about all the same. the Sinclair's is the one that I have used that actually works well and I have a secret weapon in neck turning when I do it. a small lathe. that makes the necks turn out more smooth. but for the best neck truing.. RCBS neck reaming set up is the best. it's more expensive but I have had the best results with neck reaming.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.