My son's Xmas present is shooting 25 moa! Help!

I need the help of the Braintrust here. My in-laws bought my son his first rifle for Christmas and it just will not shoot. I did not do a proper break in because he was so eager to start shooting. Is there a chance I damaged the rifle? Where would you guys start? Right now it has a heavy Factory trigger and I'm shooting Factory ammo.

This may help.

I need the help of the Braintrust here. My in-laws bought my son his first rifle for Christmas and it just will not shoot. I did not do a proper break in because he was so eager to start shooting. Is there a chance I damaged the rifle? Where would you guys start? Right now it has a heavy Factory trigger and I'm shooting Factory ammo.

Did he get the "official Red Ryder, carbine action, two-hundred shot range model air rifle" ?
Probably not cause then he'd shoot his eye out !

We're you wearing your Radio Orphan Annie's Secret Society decoder pin while shooting? That might help.

And be sure he drinks his Ovaltine

Which model does he have? Maybe he has the new AR version--- those lever action semi-full autos arent near as accurate as the originals.

View attachment 329754
Das ist einen pnematis ear splitten louden boomer. :cool:

The real question is did you just buy one type of ammo? Sixty years ago I was told that all rifles have an affinity/ sweet spot for a bullet/ammo. The trick is to find it. What are you planning to hunt? Pick a cartridge that has the type of bullet you think you want to use and the grains. Buy four or five boxes of similar manufacturers bullets that match. Typically this will help you to find the one that loves the barrel and performs to your satisfaction. Just remember that just because your buddy loves a certain load for his rifle, yours may hate it. Good luck!

The real question is did you just buy one type of ammo? Sixty years ago I was told that all rifles have an affinity/ sweet spot for a bullet/ammo. The trick is to find it. What are you planning to hunt? Pick a cartridge that has the type of bullet you think you want to use and the grains. Buy four or five boxes of similar manufacturers bullets that match. Typically this will help you to find the one that loves the barrel and performs to your satisfaction. Just remember that just because your buddy loves a certain load for his rifle, yours may hate it. Good luck!
Luckily, with all the shortages out there, this gun came with ammo. I'll have to look into some different brands. Maybe that will help tighten things up.

I've also been considering one of those Eric Cortina muzzle brake / Barrel tuners. That way I can reduce recoil and possibly tune the rifle to better accuracy.

After reading the info provided, seems that someone is not doing something right. OR maybe doing something wrong. Have you tried sighting it in at 25 yeards and see what you get?

You guys keep calling it a rifle. Is the barrel on the Red Ryder rifled? I bet it is smoothbore!

Luckily, with all the shortages out there, this gun came with ammo. I'll have to look into some different brands. Maybe that will help tighten things up.

I've also been considering one of those Eric Cortina muzzle brake / Barrel tuners. That way I can reduce recoil and possibly tune the rifle to better accuracy.
Make sure you get the Tuner Brake from EC! you want to dial it in🤣