My recent build cost vs prefits?

Prefits are the way to go if available for your action. I've done numerous now. Origin Bighorn, Defiance Tenacty, 2 Kelby Atlas, Etc… The tolerances on these actions are so precise and repeatable. I used shouldered barrel prefits on all mine and all head spaced perfectly. The only issue that can arise is when you want a chamber throated for a specific bullet. Most prefits are going to be throated to SAAMI specs. Proof now offers some, PBB and RaggedHole do them as do numerous others.

The issue you run into after truing-blueprinting the newer RR prefix Remington actions is a PITA. They lack primary extraction and after truing it gets even worse. Correcting it can get costly. Did it once and never again.

Last edited:
Had a rifle but recently. Here is the breakdown of cost. Makes me think prefits and custom actions are the way to go for the majority of my builds

Rem700 action 450
Barrel blank 250
True, fit and chamber 350
Thread muzzle 100
Flute barrel 150
Flute bolt 75
Cerakote 150

1525 into a Rem 700 build

For not much more I could build an origin or tikka and use a carbon prefit and have a better platform.
no truing cost on the action no pinned rail over sized lug pinned and what was the wait time for the work shoulder fit on a custom action with rail and lug milled in on wait if all parts can be had 20-40 mins to put to gether and head out to range

Prefits are the way to go if available for your action. I've done numerous now. Origin Bighorn, Defiance Tenacty, 2 Kelby Atlas, Etc… The tolerances on these actions are so precise and repeatable. I used shouldered barrel prefits on all mine and all head spaced perfectly. The only issue that can arise is when you want a chamber throated for a specific bullet. Most prefits are going to be throated to SAAMI specs. Proof now offers some, PBB and RaggedHole do them as do numerous others.

The issue you run into after truing-blueprinting the newer RR prefix Remington actions is a PITA. They lack primary extraction and after truing it gets even worse. Correcting it can get costly. Did it once and never again.

Patriot Valley Arms does other than SAAMI chambering a also.

Patriot Valley Arms does other than SAAMI chambering a also.
Yup, they are out there for sure as long as you're willing to wait it out. Personally after my last experience I'll never use PVA again for anything but that's a entirely different story and don't want to derail the OPs thread.

Yup, they are out there for sure as long as you're willing to wait it out. Personally after my last experience I'll never use PVA again for anything but that's a entirely different story and don't want to derail the OPs thread.

Guessing that was a while ago. They are getting them out much faster now and with their Osprey barrels they can be in stock at times but you can order a custom out of in stock blanks.

Guessing that was a while ago. They are getting them out much faster now and with their Osprey barrels they can be in stock at times but you can order a custom out of in stock blanks.

It had nothing to do about the speed of the order and it was about 4 years ago. It was the numerous mistakes on their end, one that could've resulted in a dangerous situation if I didn't catch it.

What actions in truing reduces primary extraction?

I mentioned it above in my comment. My Remington serial "RR" prefix 700 had issue from the beginning but after blueprinting it was exasperated noticeably more. Sent to LRI to have corrected and also added a m16 type extractor. No more issue.
Gotcha, I for some reason thought you were a smith and was asking like actually what in the process causes that phenomenon as I don't understand how it could change the contact of the handle on the extraction cam. Just curious on how that happened

Gotcha, I for some reason thought you were a smith and was asking like actually what in the process causes that phenomenon as I don't understand how it could change the contact of the handle on the extraction cam. Just curious on how that happened
I believe when you remove some of the material from the face of the action and other parts in the process it ever so slightly modifies that dimension. If a action has poor PE to start with, which RR 700s do, it then makes it even worse to the point that it fails the primary extraction. Correct, I'm not a Smith but just mentioned as this was my experience. I imagine some of the older 700s with excellent PE may not experience this. Probably also is determined by the Smith doing the work, is it trued or fully blueprinted? I know some do much more thorough processes than others. Here is LRI explanation.

Last edited: