My recent build cost vs prefits?

grouse

Had a rifle but recently. Here is the breakdown of cost. Makes me think prefits and custom actions are the way to go for the majority of my builds

Rem700 action 450
Barrel blank 250
True, fit and chamber 350
Thread muzzle 100
Flute barrel 150
Flute bolt 75
Cerakote 150
Recoil lug 25

1550 into a Rem 700 build

For not much more I could build an origin or tikka and use a carbon prefit and have a better platform.

Last edited:
I have built on Rem 700 and Tikka. I have decided that any builds going forward will be on Tikka actions. They don't need truing and the factory trigger is fantastic with a $10 spring. That's about a $500 savings. Plus, I like bing able to lock the bolt with the safety on.
I don't know didly about Tikka actions. But you have me intrigued… is it all Tikka actions or specific model # ? Why don't they need to be trued? Floating bolt head like a Savage?

Last edited:
Font know didly about Tikka actions. But you have me intrigued… is it all Tikka actions or specific model # ? Why don't they need to be trued? Floating bolt head like a Savage?
You can have them trued, but the ones I've had built didn't need it. I have built on both the T3 and the T3x. I prefer the T3x with the widened ejection port.

You can have them trued, but the ones I've had built didn't need it. I have built on both the T3 and the T3x. I prefer the T3x with the widened ejection port.
Tikkas don't need trued, they're a super precise timed action like the high end custom jobs.
I agree, with med length cartridges they're unbeatable for the price

I own 4 tikkas.1-300wsm.,2-243,1-308.... more rem. 700,s.a prolly a doz.A few Mauser builds.I do all my own work.
On your rem. build.his prices are not outa line.
assuming action,bolt and reciever threads were done.... proper.
However.....
Do not flute a barrel after final lapping... order barrel fluted and lapped.
fluting a bolt for weight reduction is not worth the trouble for what you gain.
Tikkas are a great factory rifle.smooth,function well.are light.pretty accurate.One that I own is a .250" gun the others are 1"MOA.
In my opinion a rem.700 trued proper with a good custom barrel properly bedded with a good stock,will be more accurate.
OMHO..... let the flames begin.
bill

Had a rifle but recently. Here is the breakdown of cost. Makes me think prefits and custom actions are the way to go for the majority of my builds

Rem700 action 450
Barrel blank 250
True, fit and chamber 350
Thread muzzle 100
Flute barrel 150
Flute bolt 75
Cerakote 150

1525 into a Rem 700 build

For not much more I could build an origin or tikka and use a carbon prefit and have a better platform.
Done the exact same thing and looking at a custom action and prefits now.

The day of putting a lot of work into a 700 action is over. Now with all the good custom actions and shouldered prefit barrels there is no reason to start with a 700 action. You will be dressing up a pig and won't get your money back in case you plan to sell. I have had 700s and had them tried 20 years ago but in the past 5-10 years it's not something I would ever do again. I only have one rifle now with a 700 action and it's my original 700VS from 30 years ago but the only thing original about it now is the action. It's on it's 9th .308 barrel. Kept for sentimental reasons now only.

For someone buying now and wanting to keep the cost down a Bighorn Origin is always my recommendation. They are excellent actions and at $900 come with a 20 MOA base, large bolt knob and recoil lug, which are all things people pay to add to a 700 besides the work trying to make it true, and takes shouldered prefits. Also you can easily change the bolt face from a .223 size to .308 size to magnum size. That way you can have a .223 rifle, any number of 6, 6.5 or .308 rifle and a short mag on the same set up with all that needs to change is barrel and boltface. A huge money saver. You can get a Origin for $900 and a shouldered prefit for about $600 and you are good for about the same price as putting a tone of work into a 700.

I think it depends on what length action is optimal for cartridge would be a variable needed in this consideration. If for say a 300 WM where COAL lengths could 3.6XX then a Remington would be my choice over a Tikka. Shorter cartridges I hate to say it, a Tikka would most likely be a better choice. I love my Remingtons but the tolerances, depending on the vintage Remington, can be tighter on Tikkas. I'm getting old and stubborn so I'll probably stick with me Remingtons, for now lol.