My Rifle Build

laweidauer

I am looking to build a long range hunting rig. The plan now is a savage action with shilen heavy sporter barrel. I will add a rifle basix trigger and bed the action. What are your thoughts on this set up and where can I find a stock for the heavy sporter. Also should I go 7mm rem mag or 300 win mag. Thanks in advance

Check Stocky's Stocks to see what's easily available stock wise.

Between the 7mm Rem and 300wm's hands down the 300wm is the superior caliber. There's nothing at all wrong with the 7mm Mag, it's just not capable of the same kind of performance as the 300wm due to ballistic coefficients of the available bullets.

I shoot both the 7mm STW and 300wm and love them both but I recognize the capabilities of each for what they are.

Your setup is pretty good.

You have to decide if you want flatter shooting or more kinetic energy at long range.
7mm - 180gr
or
30 cal: 230gr

Both are still good and pretty close. Heavier bullet "tend" to kick you hard.

Boyds: has Savage specific stocks also. Do a web search so you know exactly which action you have. It is possible to DIY open up a barrel channel but I can understand if you don't want to try it. Being a old time carpenter wood is putty in my hands.

KB

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.