My perfect Wyoming Mountain rifle build thread

The element was in stock at Bat Machine for the Vampire action. I did order an XLR Atom magnesium for a rem 700 inlet however, the wait for that was 8 weeks

Curious, what is the H20 capacity of your 30 sm?

Ya, from reports I have seen from other 30 noslers and the 30 sm, 2850-3000 with a 200-215 like my original plan was should be very doable. Thanks for your data!
97.4gr H20 for the 30 SM

I was in the same boat as you deciding between a lighter 30 nos and 30 SM after shooting a 338 EDGE IMP for so long. I eventually chose the SM. My biggest worry was that it wouldn't feed as smooth with the 40* shoulder. But running both, 300 PRC factory ammo with a 30* shoulder and running formed 30 SM rounds you can't tell a difference between the 2 somehow. Feeds very smooth. I was a little surprised since my 6.5SS doesn't feed as smoothly as my 25SST . The SS is still reliable but not as smooth as the SST. This was not the case with the 30SM running accurate, acis, and MDT mags with Hawkins hunter BM.

Nothing wrong with the 30 nos though both are great rounds with good brass. I think I instinctively went with the 30SM because I knew the dies would be set up correctly for the reamer, although Rich did have to tweak the dies slightly at first.

This rifle sounds awesome. I literally have been wanting this exact build minus the chassis. Just never really used one. I just can't bring myself to sell some rifles to get it going. Look forward to pics and range report.

***, 20" barrels on big 30 cals??!!!

Kind of like putting a 2 barrel carb on a 426 hemi. Why would you waste 80 plus grains of expensive hard to get powder and only use 3/4 of it.
Just use an 06 then 🙄
Wait I know, get a monster 06, the 50BMG. That might work

Cody it's good to know there are people capable of thinking outside the box of "normal" and actually figuring out how things really work. Not just "that's what everyone does" so it must be right and make alot of assumptions that are not true.

After going through a few different rifles, trying to figure out my wants and needs for what I consider the perfect rifle for the way I hunt, I think this will finally be the one, so I'm starting another build thread.

Some people won't like this rifle, and I don't care, not even a little, because they won't be using it! This build is coming from my personal, hands on experience, and the knowledge of others with personal, hands on experience. And I already love it, and I don't even have all the parts!

So, here is my component list!

For the heart of the build:
Bat Vampire mag bolt face action, probably a TT trigger, because I have it on hand. This may change. 28 oz with trigger

For the stock:
XLR Element 4.0 Magnesium chassis, folding adapter, Carbon stock, Ergo vertical grip. 43 oz all in counting 5 oz AICS 5 rd magazine.

For the Barrel:
Bartlien #4 carbon, 20", 8 twist, .308 cal. Fairly set on 30 nosler and will probably run heavy monos, with a couple other considerations. Only other chambering I would consider is the 30 Sherman Mag. 42 oz estimated.

For the optic and rings:
March 2.5-25x52, Vortex precision (Seekins) rings. Will have them on hand, may change. 29 oz combined.

Extras:
Silencerco Harvester 30. 11 oz according to their site, will have it in hand in a month or two.

With my weight calculations, I should be about 9 lbs 9 oz all up, unloaded if I direct thread my supressor on, add a few oz if I use my qd system, and a few more oz for 5 rounds. I'm aiming for 2900 or better with the 205 grain SBD, optimally hoping for closer to 3000.

It should fit in a pack nicely, will have plenty of energy for 1000+ yard elk, will be a manageable weight, will be quiet, and won't feel like holding a heavy 9' fly rod with the can on.

The action and chassis were in stock, and being delivered. I'll have the optic back soon from some warranty work, I should have my stamp for my can within about 2 months, and everything else is in hand, minus the barrel.....projected time frame on that is some time in May.

Will use ADG brass, and I have some H1000, Ramshot LRT, Ramshot Magnum, Retumbo, N565, and a little N570. I'm sure I will be able to find a load somewhere in there. I will update this thread as the updates come! I love this part!!
Are you going to chamber to SAAMI or extend the lead to move the bullet out some?

***, 20" barrels on big 30 cals??!!!

Kind of like putting a 2 barrel carb on a 426 hemi. Why would you waste 80 plus grains of expensive hard to get powder and only use 3/4 of it.
Just use an 06 then 🙄
Wait I know, get a monster 06, the 50BMG. That might work
I know the guys at unknown munitions built a 20"(OMFG RIGHT?!) 300rum, carbon6 9tw barrel, Bat Vampire action, Mesa Altitude stock, Hawkins bdl, wyatts cfe9 box. They're running a saami chamber with 215 bergers and N570 in adg brass, 3.93coal @ 3100fps!
These are purpose driven rifles. Easy to pack, carry, and be handy in woods or from a scabbard. An all around multi purpose kill anything in N America rifle, that has no limits. Yeah there is performance left on the table by using less barrel, but if that comes at a tradeoff that's WORTH it from the buyer/shooter, then let em do their thing! Keep shooting your -06. The modern day hunter has/should utilize technology(new powders, better brass, new bullet tech, alum or Ti action, carbon or mag stocks) that extends or inproves their ability to do a job in the field if they can afford it. If someone wants to be different, let em, don't chastise them for it.