"my Monday morning rant"

shortgrass

Is "English Class" not required to graduate high school? I just made my morning run through the forum, reading several posts along the way. I encountered 'run on' sentences, no punctuation, and severe mis-spelling to the point of not being able to easily understand much of the message in several posts. Am I just 'living in the past'? Was I lied to when I was told "communication is the key"? Is it too much to ask others to slow down and type a legible question/message? Or,,, is this just a 'sign of the times' and if you cannot read 'jibberish' you'll be left behind? There's even a built-in "spell checker" download available at the top right of the legend. I guess I'll just call this "my Monday morning rant!":rolleyes: P.S. while I'm not perfect by any means, I certainly do try!

As long as this aren't gonna slo doun my bild, I'm rite ther with ya Ted, sum folks just gotta pull thier heds out ov thier buts wen they tipe or try an spell stuff......

Sorry buddy, I just couldn't resist:D
I've noticed it as well. Of course, my beef is with autocorrect on my posts from my phone.
Im, Id, & is, just randomly get changed around, no matter what I actually typed. Grrrr. Makes a guy look really un-edu-ma-cated.

Seriously tho guys, use spell check or anything you have to use, AT LEAST LONG ENOUGH for Ted to Finnish my build. I'm holding each and everyone of you responsible for its completion, & Teds sanity:D

Well as long as we are "ranting" how about repeated posts like this one? I know I am one of the worlds worst spellers. Never have taken a typing class or any type of computer class. My last excuse is this old cheapy laptop is over 7 years old and the key boad is worn to the point it skips some letters if you don't watch it. Oops, better be careful that last sentance was kinda run on.:rolleyes: Anyway, I apologize for my bad grammer, poor english and weak spelling to all that read my posts. I realize my weaknesses , as well as my strong points. But I choose to not judge as I am betting the ones with typing problems, at what ever age, have skills they can do better than I.

Jeff

I ain't got no recollection what I learnt in English.

(jk)

guess one of my biggest issues is when I see the misuse of then v. than

:D

In the cyber-word it's one thing, come on over to the college classroom and see what and how a good deal of written work is written. It's not too impressive by some. Not to shame everyone though, we still have quite a few talented kids out there.

I am with you shortgrass.

I can understand a incorrectly spelled word here and there. Not using a comma, where there should be one.

However, some of the posts are just completely and totally at a loss of the English language.

You don't need to have a major in english, but a comprehension of it sure helps.

I wouldn't want somebody tearing apart my best effort. But, at least there is an effort.

I look at this issue through the filter of, "There but for the grace of God go I".

Some are more gifted and talented than others. Is that the proper use of then/Than?:D LOL

I feel blessed that when I came to this earth, I was gifted with intellect that allows me to do many things well.

Tolerance is a trait I am trying to work on.......

I didn't grow up with computers and video games. I had to learn about computers later in life to maintain my business. I never took typing. I have a high school diploma and some college, but, no degree in anything that pays much. My computer isn't 'young', either. I have key stick every now and again. When communication degrades to the point it becomes not understandable, or it has to be read twice to get its meaning, it's no long 'communication'. Monday mornings are always rough!

9a570d51.jpg

Have a minor in technical writing, but its been a few years since it was applied.

Many times I re-read my posts and wonder if my tuition was a waste, or the cobwebs in my brain have reached terminal levels.

It seems the collective demographic of forums changes over time, we currently have a large proportion of international members and an ever broadening base of less serious long rangers.

Oddly the international members have understandable communication barriers, i.e. verb conjugation and sentence structure. However they are usually quite easy to read.

It does cause some concern personally, long range hunting is in its very nature a precision sport. Makes one wonder "if yer inglis is merginal, hows yer showtin?"

Catholic gradeschool education here. Perfect grammar and near perfect spelling --- until I gett carless.

Catholic gradeschool education here. Perfect grammar and near perfect spelling --- until I gett carless.

I think you just answered the original question! I recall being graded low on one paper for using the rules taught by another teacher. Many public school teachers are teaching subjects in which they lack the requisite background.
I subjected my children to K-12 Catholic schools, and neither required remedial classes to enter college.
My eldest had an interesting experience writing a collegiate level paper. She chose health care as a topic, and apparently the content was not well received. Worst grade she ever got, and nearly cost her a scholarship. This kid doesn't think can write, she knows she can. She also had a liberal arts advisor that didn't think she would need chemistry to attend pharmacy school. She did not take that advice, wrote more PC papers, and has one more year to achieve her Pharmacy Doctorate.
Just one public high school here achieved the state "mandated" testing scores. Of the dozen or so girls my daughter started kindergarten with, 4 I know of will be Veterinarians, and Doctors of one type or another. It's probably more but I've not kept track of the entire class.
Catholic schools quit using testing from public schools as comparison because it lowers the bar to the point of meaningless.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.