Rant

I would like to think its teenagers doing these but I doudt it, probably adults Or so called adults!!!
Sad to say it but I suspect you're right. The most memorably offensive, inconsiderate, straight up selfish and rude things I've personally witnessed have been perpetrated by well off middle aged "important" (or self-important) people that assume you'll do what they say and also that no one can tell them what to do - and these types are also the ones blaming kids for everything and treating seniors like an inconvenience. Where I live (Saskatchewan) these types are quick to look down on anyone younger or older than them, to say nothing of how they talk about/make assumptions about the native people. I worked at a Dairy Queen to help pay the bills for a full decade of my life here…every single incident involving an "adult" being so rude or even screaming and swearing at 14-16 year olds over store policies or minor inconveniences that I can recall was perpetrated by entitled, financially comfortable middle aged white people, not the teenagers, seniors, and natives they talk down about all the time.

Please don't think this is what I think of all middle aged white folks haha, I'm soon to be one of them as are most of my friends. But all this to say you're right, it often isn't the people everyone finds convenient to blame that are actually being jerks.

To add to this affirmation that adults who are waaaay to old to not know better are often the most inconsiderate people…I'm a minister in town here and it has happened on MORE THAN ONE OCCASION that somebody has whipped past a funeral procession as we're headed to the cemetery. It's never been "stupid teenagers" or "demented seniors"…it's been well dressed adults who I guess simply feel that they and their plans are more important than respect for the dead and the living who are grieving (to say nothing of the safety of passing 8 or more vehicles at once).

This honestly just comes down to a disturbing, ever increasing lack of respect and human decency.

Sad to say it but I suspect you're right. The most memorably offensive, inconsiderate, straight up selfish and rude things I've personally witnessed have been perpetrated by well off middle aged "important" (or self-important) people that assume you'll do what they say and also that no one can tell them what to do - and these types are also the ones blaming kids for everything and treating seniors like an inconvenience. Where I live (Saskatchewan) these types are quick to look down on anyone younger or older than them, to say nothing of how they talk about/make assumptions about the native people. I worked at a Dairy Queen to help pay the bills for a full decade of my life here…every single incident involving an "adult" being so rude or even screaming and swearing at 14-16 year olds over store policies or minor inconveniences that I can recall was perpetrated by entitled, financially comfortable middle aged white people, not the teenagers, seniors, and natives they talk down about all the time.

Please don't think this is what I think of all middle aged white folks haha, I'm soon to be one of them as are most of my friends. But all this to say you're right, it often isn't the people everyone finds convenient to blame that are actually being jerks.

To add to this affirmation that adults who are waaaay to old to not know better are often the most inconsiderate people…I'm a minister in town here and it has happened on MORE THAN ONE OCCASION that somebody has whipped past a funeral procession as we're headed to the cemetery. It's never been "stupid teenagers" or "demented seniors"…it's been well dressed adults who I guess simply feel that they and their plans are more important than respect for the dead and the living who are grieving (to say nothing of the safety of passing 8 or more vehicles at once).

This honestly just comes down to a disturbing, ever increasing lack of respect and human decency.
Here I thought it was just Americans that were slipping their morality. 65 years of this experience and I hardly recognize my country today.

Nasty people!
I spent a few days this past week scouting in the high country.
There is a 10 day gap between the end of archery and the beginning of rifle season. So most of the camps are empty. People are nasty. They make their bathroom facilities about 12 feet from the campfire pit. The smell of human feces and used toilet paper litter the ground right where most people would set up a tent or an eating table. The makeshift firepits are full of cans, aluminum foil, cigarette butts, and melted plastic.
One of my camp spots is so nasty it will take a few hours to clean it up.
Nasty people!

That stinks. I've been shooting across from MacGregor lake and found piles of trash there too.
I think it has to do with people who feel entitled or are too lazy to clean up after themselves. You see them at my club, people of all ages leaving their brass all over the place, as if their trash had value to others. (in the case of brass, it does)
Here in the PNW we have a non-profit group called Trash No Land. They have organized dozens and dozens of cleanups of shooting areas in OR and WA, and work with DNR from both states to set up official shooting areas with backstops, berms and parking.
I've been to a few. Great people, camaraderie, cookouts and shooting afterward, and lots of fun to be had.
Also, when I head out to the state or national forest lands to hike or shoot, I try to bring boxes or trash bags to pick up the inevitable heaps of trash that slobs leave behind. It's pathetic.
I encounter numerous areas while out where people have dumped off anything and everything. Tires, trash, pallets, plywood, old appliances, construction debris, a roof in one case. You need a front loader and dump truck for some of the junk these m'fers leave behind.
Then you get into the areas where people are living off the grid, in a lawless fashion. We call them "fringers."
Pizzes me off.
People I know will question why I will stop and fetch a shopping cart on the side of the road and deliver it back to the store it came from, a few miles away. Just the right thing to do.

Putting an age cap may be right or wrong. As a tail end "Boomer", I like to point a finger at Millennials, it seems the thing to do. But I am with you, it is not age specific. People I worked with for 30 yrs now seem to think it is their right to take the path of least resistance, I guess the dues have been paid. Let's buy a house in a Del Webb community, we'll just buy our friends too.

You pay to belong to a range, now you have a small sense of ownership and everything on a range can become a target. I myself think if you find a place on public land, you should leave it in better condition than when you found it, which theoretically is impossible.
One really only needs to jump in his vehicle and drive to realize we have not progressed as a society.

I'm with you guys on littering to a point of getting the range shut down! It's a disgrace and the good have to pay for the bad!
Maybe paint and put up a couple of "pick up your ****" signs around the place.
I know its some extra effort and may or may not help but it may help the land owner or gov't realize that someone cares and is trying to keep things tidy and open for use.

Roughrice the range spent 80.00 dollars putting up signs to keep the area clean and replacement back stops for rifle shooters this year and someone shot not only the back stops to pieces but also the signs.I think camera's are our best bet to stop this as well as fines.

milo-2 I myself think if you find a place on public land, you should leave it in better condition than when you found it, which theoretically is impossible.
Great post! If everyone did this we would not have a problem

Roughrice the range spent 80.00 dollars putting up signs to keep the area clean and replacement back stops for rifle shooters this year and someone shot not only the back stops to pieces but also the signs.I think camera's are our best bet to stop this as well as fines.

milo-2 I myself think if you find a place on public land, you should leave it in better condition than when you found it, which theoretically is impossible.
Great post! If everyone did this we would not have a problem
Wow! That's definitely a problem! Unbelievable how some idiots can be so disrespectful and trash a place that is provided for us to enjoy a sport that requires discipline and respect due to the nature of shooting.
Those people shouldn't even own a gun since they obviously lack the intelligence to recognize the importance of keeping a good local range up so it would remain exactly that... "local"! Ranges are becoming scarce. The next range might be hours away. Of course they don't think about that, but...they will be the first to cry about not having one close by.
Cameras is a good idea and seems the last resort to combat the situation before the its too late and gets the padlock.

Have had the same issues with people's toilet issues around campsites.
We had a place I will no longer go to because no hole had been dug and there was toilet paper and poo EVERYWHERE! Not just in one area, but EVERYWHERE! It was a deliberate act to have done that. It was PRIVATE PROPERTY and you had to have the KEY to get in. I informed the owner of the state of the place.
I paid for that key!
Then everyone was told by text that the padlocks had been changed and only a select few were going to get the new key. I was one to get the new key, but I declined.
This property backs onto one the best stretches of our MIGHTY MURRAY RIVER!
Absolutely PRISTINE until those slobs did what they did. I bet they thought it was funny….and no teenagers had keys for the place, the owner knows who did it but wouldn't say, but there were NO KIDS in this group, only 40+ adults!
Just goes to show the mentality of people.

Cheers.

The number of mentally challenged people who PAY to go to the club I'm a member of, then tear it up while they're there, astounds me. The club implemented a policy of requiring a CHL or background check to become a member and a lot of the riff raff went away, which makes it worse that the people doing this are the ones that are left.