My 6.5 x 284

Ok so out again this morning to 1000 yards to confirm with the VLD Hunting, before my wyoming trip. My last 1000 yard range session I was 15" low. I was using 22.5 MOA @ 2929fps. So today I was using what I thought were my corrected values. 24 MOA @ 2875. Well my first 5 shot group was 15" high! ***! So adjusted back down to 22.5 MOA and shot another 5 shot group. 3 out of 5 shots bullseye in a 4" circle. I guess I'm good to go! However, I'm still confused why the drop previously?

Mmm, that does seem strange. I think my card says 24 MOA, at 1000 yds, at 500ft elevation, at 2950 fps. But, I also haven't shot it past 800 yds yet.
________
Brent

My conditions yesterday:

1500 ft elevation
28.32 barometric pressure
45 degrees

I am currently at 138 rounds fired! Who knows, maybe my barrel picked up some speed! When I play with the numbers, 3040 fps, gives me 22.5 MOA at 1000 yards! The turrets don't lie!

You could easily get that velocity with your 28" barrel. The only other thing that could give you false corrections is your assumed/ actual turret travel. But you've got a nightforce so that's probably not an issue......

Mmm, that does seem strange. I think my card says 24 MOA, at 1000 yds, at 500ft elevation, at 2950 fps. But, I also haven't shot it past 800 yds yet.
________
Brent

I'm 23.4 elevation at 1000 yards at 500ft, 2965FPS with my Cooper. I will have to say that I have had a couple of sessions like CO just experienced when for some unknown reason I have been off at 1000 yards by 1 MOA. I wrote it off to any number of possibilities like wind, my shooting, etc. Next session I'm back on. Fortunately the rifle has hung together well on my long range hunting shots on game.

Your right Greyfox. The 24 MOA was early in my break in stage when the velocities where low. Now I'm between 2965-2975 and the corrected MOA elevation at 500ft is 23.4 MOA.

What ballistic app are you using? I found when entering enviro. Co ditions that if you use a kestrel to show corrected pressure to leave the altitude at zero and hit the absolute pressure button. If I put in my elevation and absolute pressure my drops were all screwy.

Good luck on your hunt.

I am using Ballistic AE and a Kestrel 3500 for conditions.

Looking back, with my hybrids, I was at 22.75 MOA for 1000 yards. I may have been wrong with my FPS before.

Haven't updated my thread in a while so I thought I would! Didn't want to post my mistakes, but I will!

Well to say I had a good Wyoming hunt (2014), I'd be lying! I thought I was ready, but I wasn't. I used all the tools I had and couldn't connect. It was a real eye opener and I questioned myself as a shooter.

Two different deer, two different days, both at 850. The first deer I fired at was 4 shots. I had a rock solid rest, rear bag, level was level, no wind that I could tell, but it was very calm. First shot he hunched up, ran about 20 yards and stood there with his head down staring, I was thinking he was gonna tip over. Nope! On the forth shot, he went *** over tin cups, feet in the air, white belly showing! I look through my spotter, he is laying there with his head up! ***! He gets up, hops the fence. I gave him two hours and then went on the trail. Get over the bank, looking around, flush him out and couldn't shoot. He runs all of 1000+ yards and stops on the side hill. Crack!!!! Another guy in camp shoots him. It is what it is, the deers still on his feet, he's fair game in my eyes. Plus he would have went on the neighbors property anyway and might not have seen him again. The guy that got him is good people, so I'm ok with that. So trying to tell my hunting partners I hit him, they called BS. They are not LR fans! Well while skinning the deer, a bullet hole was discovered! Right in the neck! (I got a picture). It passed between his vertebrae and his wind pipe! No expansion! I'm not real happy at this point, taking **** from others.

Next day, another buck, bigger probably 150". Same thing, rest, rear bag, solid, calm, I was relaxed. Two shots later, no deer. Went and looked, I ended up jumping the deer, runs 1000+ yards, no signs of being hit, began feeding, then lays down. Next day, waiting to see if he comes back, he didn't. Went over to the property line and scanned the neighbors fields. I see him up and feeding! So I feel better about that I guess!

I ended up shooting a scrub 11 point at 75 yards, he might go 100-120" if that.

I dunno........... I'm going back to the range and recheck the gun. I did shoot when I got there! I shot a playing card at 500 yards and was about .5" off from the club, in the 2 of clubs. Sorry to rant.

I did end up talking to Berger, they sent me a new box of bullets to try!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 104
Today: (First I shot since Wyoming)
1250 Yards
33.25 MOA
3.5 MOA L (3 mph)
3040 MV
55 degrees
First group/best of the day for me!
0930-1000