My 284 win

I dont have a torque wrench but i will see if i can borrow one. The mounts and bases are tight, loaded ammo measures less than .001" for runout, i am using Lapua brass. I think once my benchsource gets here i am going to anneal the brass.
EDIT: i just called my gunsmith and he recommended seating the bullets farther off the lands and free floating the tang if it isnt already, he said he has had problems with savages when the tang is tight against the stock.

I made it out shooting today and the gun is shooting MUCH better now, i seated them farther off the lands and tested them with fed 215s gm and wlr primers, i will get pics up tomorrow.

I made it out shooting today and the gun is shooting MUCH better now, i seated them farther off the lands and tested them with fed 215s gm and wlr primers, i will get pics up tomorrow.

I'm assuming you have "floated" the recoil lug AND seated for more jump to get this improvement.

Another suggestion is to move away or try non-magnum primers. I've been pleasantly surprised when changing from say CCI 250s to CCI 200s in '06 family cases. 270 Win in particular. The change worked for me with 4350 tho it wasn't the powder I ended up using.

If you want to walk a bit on the wild side give PP 4000 MR a go, if you can find any. :)

I'm assuming you have "floated" the recoil lug AND seated for more jump to get this improvement.

Another suggestion is to move away or try non-magnum primers. I've been pleasantly surprised when changing from say CCI 250s to CCI 200s in '06 family cases. 270 Win in particular. The change worked for me with 4350 tho it wasn't the powder I ended up using.

If you want to walk a bit on the wild side give PP 4000 MR a go, if you can find any. :)
Roy, i didnt change anything except for seating the bullets off the lands farther, and also the fact that these cases are now fire formed.

Order of pics:
3 shot groups were shot on saturday, ( the first three pictures) the jump length and primer are written on the bottom.

5 shot groups were shot today, i took the three loads above and shot five shot groups today (jump and primer also written on the bottom), NOTE: the last group i didnt allow much time to cool so this may or may not be the reason for the split groups? And shot #3 i called a pull right (reticle was about 1/2" right of center when shot broke)

Attachments

• IMG_4818.JPG
    IMG_4818.JPG
    44.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_4819.JPG
    IMG_4819.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_4822.JPG
    IMG_4822.JPG
    48.4 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_4814.JPG
    IMG_4814.JPG
    47.3 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_4815.JPG
    IMG_4815.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4816.JPG
    IMG_4816.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 94
Hi guys shot at 300 yards today, absolutly no wind and no mirage. I am going to the Townsend shoot on June 15 and need to load up some ammo, what load do you guys suggest i use? Primer and seating depth written on target. These were the four loads that shot the best at 100 yards.

NOTE: the group with the 2 shots in one hole were shots #3,4, and 5 from a warm bore that had only powder fouling removed followed by a wet patch of kroil, #3 was upper right, #4 was low left, and #5 was up in the upper right in the same hole as shot #3.

Shot these at 300 yards yesterday, very little wind and mirage. I did make a mistake on the two groups shot with the WLR primers on my last post, i got the distance off the lands mixed up, so .040 is .050 and the .050 is actually .040. Clear as mud. :rolleyes: The three groups shot below are .043" off the lands, .046" off the lands, and .049" off the lands in that order.

Attachments

• IMG_4924.JPG
    IMG_4924.JPG
    40.1 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_4925.JPG
    IMG_4925.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_4926.JPG
    IMG_4926.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 96
Well, i decided to start all over again, i went back to 90 yards and started with powder charge. All info is on the target, i am thinking 52.6 grains is the ticket since the charge above and below it hit on the same vertical plane. Now i will play with the seating depth a bit.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.