Muzzle brakes...

I think the piercision muscle brake is what I'm after... a lot of great suggestions and after reviewing each myself I think that's the best option for me.
Good choice, you get the benefit of recoil reduction from the angled front ports, & concussive reduction from the rear 90* port. Simple but effective design.

And no sandblasting while prone.

I've owned 2 of them & they worked great.
That's a Fact.

Last edited:
I think the piercision muscle brake is what I'm after... a lot of great suggestions and after reviewing each myself I think that's the best option for me.

I have one too ...

Piercision 5-port muscle brake 1 of 2.jpg
Piercision 5-port muscle brake 2 of 2.jpg

Real question.
Sadly all opinions.....not being rude.
And a lot of info but.....
A pendulum test and a couple of sound meters would be the way.
Well, in the piercison description it says does not direct concussion towards shooter... in the description of my other product it clearly says that it does the opposite. I just wasn't sure how bad it would be and it just so happens to be more than I'm happy with. I'm not bashing or taking ANYTHING away from any product. It works exactly as described and does a heck of a job. Never shot another brake that handled recoil like the one I have does... we can't have the best of both worlds I don't guess unless we go the suppressor route.

Frederich Selous faced the same issue with his "Baby," an elephantine musket of 4-bore, throwing a 1/4lb round ball in front of whatever charge he dared to put behind it. His remedy for recoil was to allow some other fellow in his hunting party to "unload" the thing. And that's precisely the same way I feel about "muzzle brakes." Get a suppressor and a nice thick, soft trapshooter's sissy pad. The kind that goes 100-straight, not the thin leather covered hard pad. Work on the stock a bit too. The less it pounds your cheek and ears, the less will be your perception of recoil.If you really think you need a lot of smoke, noise, and recoil to make you think you're shooting a "man's" gun, then heaven help you, I'll be hunting a full drainage or two to the West and you're welcome to your entire territory.

Been out for the weekend but noticed some stuff on here where I was mentioned. The muscle brakes do have noticeably less concussion than alot of the other designs out there. And the recoil reduction is very good as well. The self timing 5 port in titanium has been a huge hit with the hunting crowd as its 3 oz lighter than its steel version and only $80 more than the stainless version. Thats the best bang for buck weight savings when it comes to titanium, at about $26 per oz. Usually titanium actions save 5-6 oz and are $500+ more. The stainless version is very popular in PRS. Guys are even running it on their dashers and creedmoors. Reticle doesn't leave the target for them while shooting free recoil on barricades etc. With the self timing 5 port on my 10.5 lb w optics hunting rifles I have no problem spotting hits with a 230 berger over 3000 fps. If your setup correctly on the bipod you can watch your vapor trail. I did do a titanium version of my cheytac brake also which ended up saving 6 oz, brake is now only 9 oz. Which is impressive considering its 1.500 diameter and round. Its a very big and effective brake that absolutely kills the recoil on the bigger magnums. For guys doing big .338s or bigger in a lighter setup its hands down the best option out there. My 14.5 lb w optics and bipod 33xc is pushing a 300 gr berger over 3200 fps and with the scope at 27x I have no issue watching vapor trail and spotting hits while shooting off the bipod. Below pic is the self timing 5 port on a proof sendero. Just give me a shout if you guys have any questions.

Attachments

• 117035467_298093357942320_3623383435971300287_n.jpg
    117035467_298093357942320_3623383435971300287_n.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 120
I have a 300WM Rem.700 Long Range. I shoot the 215 Berger with 77.0 gr. of H1000. It was recoiling stoutly to put it mildly. Off a concrete bench it would leave my right elbow bloody. Not fun at all. So after searching the web I chose the Witt Machine Co. 5 port clamp on brake. I did not want to have the barrel pulled and threaded because it just shoot a very tight group with my load combination. After installing this brake it tamed the recoil down to 308 felt recoil. I can honestly say that the brake does not send the gas rearward toward the shooter. Maybe the threaded brake would do better for you but this one I have is excellent in my opinion. The price was very good also, under $100.00

Been out for the weekend but noticed some stuff on here where I was mentioned. The muscle brakes do have noticeably less concussion than alot of the other designs out there. And the recoil reduction is very good as well. The self timing 5 port in titanium has been a huge hit with the hunting crowd as its 3 oz lighter than its steel version and only $80 more than the stainless version. Thats the best bang for buck weight savings when it comes to titanium, at about $26 per oz. Usually titanium actions save 5-6 oz and are $500+ more. The stainless version is very popular in PRS. Guys are even running it on their dashers and creedmoors. Reticle doesn't leave the target for them while shooting free recoil on barricades etc. With the self timing 5 port on my 10.5 lb w optics hunting rifles I have no problem spotting hits with a 230 berger over 3000 fps. If your setup correctly on the bipod you can watch your vapor trail. I did do a titanium version of my cheytac brake also which ended up saving 6 oz, brake is now only 9 oz. Which is impressive considering its 1.500 diameter and round. Its a very big and effective brake that absolutely kills the recoil on the bigger magnums. For guys doing big .338s or bigger in a lighter setup its hands down the best option out there. My 14.5 lb w optics and bipod 33xc is pushing a 300 gr berger over 3200 fps and with the scope at 27x I have no issue watching vapor trail and spotting hits while shooting off the bipod. Below pic is the self timing 5 port on a proof sendero. Just give me a shout if you guys have any questions.

Pm sent!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.