Muzzel break blew off on the first shot!

A new first!!!!

Some ought to calc the physics on the brake travel:)

Looks like a Holland QD. Maybe Darrell could chime in:D though I'd bet he has zero experience with that sort of thing :rolleyes:

OH!! Not even I would consider super glue as a fix. . .

definitely under cut. You can clearly see from the picture the smith new he made a mistake and tried to patch the mistake. I am a heavy duty diesel mechanic and I know my thread pitch's! I deal with stripped threads on a daily basis and re-threading is nothing new as-well.

Darrels brakes are 28 threads per inch rather then the more common 24. This creates a shallower thread depth, very strong when fit correctly. It appears the thread tenon diameter is undersized. Possibly, he threaded it 24 threads per inch and wrenched it on. When we fit muzzle brakes we fit the threads for very tight tolerances. A properly threaded brake could be shot half unscrewed without clearance issues or blowing off. Whoever did this was aware he wasn't doing things right. It looks like he made a mistake and followed it up with another mistake by trying to save his labor.

If you would like me to look at it before you deal with your smith give me a ring.. I'm in Santaquin.

Lorenzo Young, Deadly Precision Gunsmithing
801 735-4829

The shoulder, where the brake butt's up against the barrel, should be square as well. It looks tapered in the picture and it could of flared the rear of the brake if the brake was tightened down much with the brake as thin as it is. That would give you even less thread contact. I agree that the threads are way undersize as well. It barely rolled the top of the threads when it blew off so there was very little contact from the start. It doesn't look like it was the wrong thread pitch because you usually see threads with cuts across them when it's the wrong pitch. I can't imagine how sloppy it was threading the brake on and off.

Someone got in a hurry and rather than fess up to the mistake they tried to patch it up. It sucks but can you imagine the crown you would have received if he would have cut it off and re-threaded it to try and make it right with work like that?

Re: Muzzle break blew off on the first shot!

The shoulder, where the brake butt's up against the barrel, should be square as well. It looks tapered in the picture and it could of flared the rear of the brake if the brake was tightened down much with the brake as thin as it is. That would give you even less thread contact. I agree that the threads are way under size as well. It barely rolled the top of the threads when it blew off so there was very little contact from the start. It doesn't look like it was the wrong thread pitch because you usually see threads with cuts across them when it's the wrong pitch. I can't imagine how sloppy it was threading the brake on and off.

Someone got in a hurry and rather than fess up to the mistake they tried to patch it up. It sucks but can you imagine the crown you would have received if he would have cut it off and re-threaded it to try and make it right with work like that?

I didn't notice the shoulder at first glance. After a second look at the pictures, "What the hell"? Maybe that taper was his idea of how to deal with Darrel's thinly tapered wall. It'd be nice if Darrel wouldn't send the brakes with a "finished" taper.

These things add up to some pretty sloppy smithing followed by an immature attempt to patch things on. Not a good mind set for someone in firearms work.

No class three FFL is needed to fit muzzle brakes. I'm curious where this fits in. Do you intend to have a suppressor installed later? Were these threads possibly fit to the suppressor? Can't imagine this would make a difference, but ???

Can you imagine what would have happened if he had fitted a suppressor, that would have been expensive!!! I was kinda wondering if this guy had cut the entire tenon and shoulder with the threading tool?

So is there any way to rethread a new muzzle break and salvage the barrel at it's current length? Does that barrel have to be cut shorter, recrowned, and rethreaded? If so, I'd say the smith owes you a new barrel too!

The threads look like they were done using a die nut (Not the way to do it) instead of being done on
a lathe. I have seen this before and the "Smith" did not want to break the barrel out or did not have
the tools to do it properly.

You can save the barrel by reducing the barrel threads one size and buying a new break with the
smaller thread dia.

The other way to fix it is to have a reputable smith remove the threaded portion and re thread
it correctly to save the muzzle break. This will shorten the barrel about 3/4 ".

I would recomend a new smith and at least get my money back for the work he did.

J E CUSTOM

Did you at least get the muzzle velocity and calculate the BC for that brake?

I'd make him buy me some new underwear as well. I guarantee you I would've **** my pants.

-- richard

I took the rifle and brake to another smith. He said it looked like the threads were just under sized on the barrel, he said the brake is in good shape and can be used again. Then I took it to the guy that did it the first time. He humbly asked me to to give him the chance to make it right. I did not want to give him a second chance... He was almost begging me to give him a chance to fix the issue. I told him ok. But take it out and shoot it before you call me when it is done... He Called me the next afternoon saying it was done. So I went and checked it out. it looked much better. He showed me the half empty box of shells test fired with. I thanked him and went on my way.

Brake1.jpg

Brake2.jpg

Good for you. I think you did the right thing. I'm curios, did he offer an explanation and a repair plan?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.