Moving from 338 to 7mm.

Can 338 RUM brass be made/fire formed from another case

.404 Jeffery is the parent case for the RUM calibers. But like Rhian said, you should be able to form other RUM cases into .338 RUM.

Or, you cold just have your chamber opened up to .338-300 RUM (.338 Edge), that way you can simply open up the necks on regular .300 RUM cases, and fire-form.

You can even buy dies and a reamer at Midway...

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/52...on-ultra-magnum-338-edge?cm_vc=ProductFinding

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/86...ngton-ultra-magnum-match?cm_vc=ProductFinding

Thanks for the info. I love my 338 and shooting it at a16 inch plate at 1000 yards has almost become boring.... Almost. I wouldn't be getting rid of it if I could find brass. If I knew RUM brass would become so scarce I would built a lapua.

Here you go. It's more expensive than Remington, but it's better brass and it's available now. Make sure you drop your powder charge 2 grains when switching from Rem RUM brass to Nosler.

Nosler Brass 338 Rem Ultra Magnum (BLEM) - 25ct

If you're not interested in Blems, Cabelas has factory firsts. The Blems are the better buy though.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/nosler-reg-custom-8482-rifle-brass/731922.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3D338%252Bultra%252Bbrass%26x%3D10%26y%3D6%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%252BProducts&Ntt=338+ultra+brass

I've spent a little time today trying to figure out who in Remington to get ahold of to see about brass. So far all I know is there is no 338 or 300 RUM brass scheduled for this quarter and not on any known schedual. From the sounds of it the best method to let them know we need it is to light up the Remington info email asking for a run of brass. A guy may want to back of the loads and prolong case life.

I think Defensive Edge has some 338 Edge Bertram brass. Sized back and trimmed for a 338 RUM should make some very tough brass that will last a long time. Loaded a little below max and with good dies and proper annealing I would say well over a dozen firings.

Jeff

I shoot a 338 RUM and it's simply an elk hunters dream cartridge. But, I can understand not wanting the 338 if you don't hunt elk. It's a lot of gun to shoot exclusively at targets.

I have been using Nosler 338 RUM brass and it's been working great. Easy to find, weight sorted, and case life has been north of 10 firings in my rifle.

In terms of knocking over elk, I certainly agree with Broz... nothing smaller is going to compete with a big 338.

I've spent a little time today trying to figure out who in Remington to get ahold of to see about brass. So far all I know is there is no 338 or 300 RUM brass scheduled for this quarter and not on any known schedual. From the sounds of it the best method to let them know we need it is to light up the Remington info email asking for a run of brass. A guy may want to back of the loads and prolong case life.

I haven't cared that Remington stopped making component RUM brass. It's forced me to find better options. The stuff they've produced in the last couple years has been absolute junk.

I have had no issues with the 338 rum brass, we have some passing 6 firings and their all extremely accurate with no prep work. I do need to explore other offerings but I've had awesome results just using the plain old rem brass.

I have had no issues with the 338 rum brass, we have some passing 6 firings and their all extremely accurate with no prep work. I do need to explore other offerings but I've had awesome results just using the plain old rem brass.

I had good load performance results too. I just retired my last batch of RP 338 RUM brass after 4 firings due to loose pockets. My first batch of 25 Noslers is on their 6th firing without a single stretched pocket despite a few hard whacks finding the upper limits.

I've heard so many poor reports on the Nosler brass I've avoided it but maybe I should give it a run.

I heard the same things, but knowing a little background about where Nosler RUM brass comes from and my experiences with Norma WSM I was inclined to give it a try. I know I've said this before, but you can't just transfer RP loads over to Nosler in RUM brass, which I think is where people err when concluding the softness of Nosler/Norma.

Same issue with my rum brass. Very loose primer pockets after 4 loadings. I'll give nosler a try and back my loads down and work up. But I'm still thinking a rebarrel to 7mm is in the near future. The only other cartridge that catches my eye is the 338 Norma. I'd need to pick up a PTG bolt for that though.

I've heard so many poor reports on the Nosler brass I've avoided it but maybe I should give it a run.

I have heard the same thing, but I've got some 300rum (nosler) brass that I picked up for a song when my brother retired his first 300rum. It is holding its own beside the remmy brass I have. I see no real difference in good rem 300rum brass and the nosler 300rum offering... I spit and sputter tossing nearly $3 at a casing, but you've got to pay to play sometimes in this game.

Same issue with my rum brass. Very loose primer pockets after 4 loadings. I'll give nosler a try and back my loads down and work up. But I'm still thinking a rebarrel to 7mm is in the near future. The only other cartridge that catches my eye is the 338 Norma. I'd need to pick up a PTG bolt for that though.

The switch is easy. Drop two grains from your current load and you'll be close.