Moving from 6.5 PRC to 300 PRC

Whats the point of tracking if you can't see it it clearly.First rule of hunting/shooting is n are sure you can see what you are going to shoot.No need to pull trigger on what you can't see it.
I'd say good clear glass 1st, tracking 2nd.But all are equally important in target shooting.In hunting If the 1st shot placement is good there is no need to worry about tracking .
That's my opinion anyway
How are you supposed to sight a rifle in if it don't track? One shot hits bullseye and the next shot hits a 1' or so this way or that way…….what's the point of good clear glass because you won't be shooting far.

Just how many scopes out there on the market now are so unclear that you can't see through?? Sure your not going to shoot to 1000+ yards with a tasco because of tracking, but I'm sure you can see the target. If you dial for your corrections glass is not going to help you and if your a good hunter/shooter you should know your limitations with the equipment you have.

A $50 tasco, simmons, nc star etc can get things done well enough for the casual hunters with brush guns, I know plenty of them.

If you had a scope that didn't track and you use it for long range target 500 yards+ and mid range hunting <500 yards but had awesome glass would you use it?

What if you had a scope that tracked 98% to accuracy but the glass was mediocre, would you use it and just use it to the best of your abilities and know your limitations because of the glass?

What is the most important aspect of a scope review by genuine scope reviewers focus on? Tracking

It would be an interesting poll here to see how many would choose glass over tracking.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

Last edited:
How are you supposed to sight a rifle in if it don't track? One shot hits bullseye and the next shot hits a 1' or so this way or that way…….what's the point of good clear glass because you won't be shooting far.

Just how many scopes out there on the market now are so unclear that you can't see through?? Sure your not going to shoot to 1000+ yards with a tasco because of tracking, but I'm sure you can see the target. If you dial for your corrections glass is not going to help you and if your a good hunter/shooter you should know your limitations with the equipment you have.

A $50 tasco, simmons, nc star etc can get things done well enough for the casual hunters with brush guns, I know plenty of them.

If you had a scope that didn't track and you use it for long range target 500 yards+ and mid range hunting <500 yards but had awesome glass would you use it?

What if you had a scope that tracked 98% to accuracy but the glass was mediocre, would you use it and just use it to the best of your abilities and know your limitations because of the glass?

What is the most important aspect of a scope review by genuine scope reviewers focus on? Tracking

It would be an interesting poll here to see how many would choose glass over tracking.

This year I will be using the cds system for the first time. I plan to sight my rifles (3) in for a 300 yd zero. I will hold over or under as needed without turning the dial for shots up to 400 to 450 yds which accounts for 90+% of my shots on game. Although I have confidence in the HD5, there's always a chance that the tracking will be a little off. But my selection of these scopes was originally due to clarity and that is what is needed as my eyes age. My 1" tubed scopes are slowly being swapped out to 30MM tubes.

I wouldnt know about those cheap scopes you mentioned.I dont buy that kind of stuff.
Who would talk about Tracking on a scope that wont even bore & sight in.Thats a ridiculous assumption.
I just dont junk that yuou have to worry about.
Either way you are entitled to your opinion just as I am mine.
Buy Once Cry Once in Optics.
Everyone knows you always buy the best optics you can afford. Even if it is on a mediocre priced rifle.
Who on here on a LONG RANGE site would be buying a $50.00 scope any way. !!!

Last edited:

Recent Posts