Mountain hunt daypack essentials

My Dad and I went through this type of exercise before we went to Alaska for a DIY caribou hunt. The BIGGEST mistake we made was thinking like we were hunting alone. We BOTH doubled up on essential stuff and had 4X what we needed in some cases. We could of carried half what we did and been fine in any emergency.

But when it came time to stay out overnight unexpectedly, Dad had left his emergency foil blanket at camp. I was MUCH more comfortable that night than he was. No danger, but a good couple hours sleep can make a huge difference in your outlook on life. He took a nap in the sunshine later on in the morning and was MUCH better off.

The few things we used that really helped-
-advil
-ACE bandage, we used horse wrap
-emergency blanket
-Gatorade powder to add to water *** big help when you need a boost
-small folding saw

Also-USE your gear first and know if and how it works. It's always fun messing with gear and doing trial runs anyway. Even if it's in the backyard!

TheRoaminRaider, welcome, glad to have you here. Lots of good folks and lots of good info. Thanks for the tips. Enjoy.

One more thing to think about. I always keep aspirin in a ziplock under my water bottle in my pack. In an emergency situation where you or your buddy is having a heart attack, slipping an aspirin under the tongue may save a life. Aspirin is a blood thinner and can dissolve blood clots

Thanks everyone for the great ideas and websites. I will be updating my list with several of your suggestions. This is the best way to find out what I am missing or what I can make better. When this thread has been up a while I plan to show it to the guy I hunt with so we can make a list of what we each will carry. I think we can both get much more efficient in what we carry.

Another thing I forgot to add that I carry is my Leupold scope tool. Having that and a few extra rounds of ammo can save a hunt if something gets loose and you lose your zero.

Thanks for the welcome Chas1. I stumbled across this site a few weeks ago and spent so much time reading the threads, I figured why not join and chime in once and a while. This is actually the first time I've ever joined a forum, so that should say something about the info yall are putting out. Not many people in my life share my interests, so its been really helpful getting answers and information instead of the blank stares and strange looks I'm used to.

And while it's not really something that you would pack, I thought of something else thats new on my "essentials list". After reading an article a few weeks ago about using cedar chips and ziplock bags to store camo, I figured there was no reason it wouldnt work for ALL of my hunting gear. Now when I get home after removing anything perishable from my pack, I put a cedar block (like in the closet) in each pocket, than lay out the rain cover with some thin planks of cedar from the hardware store (like the thickness of the sides of a cigar box). Lay the pack down and cinch it up. No musty closet odors on the bag, no messy scent blockers, and if you set the pack down in the field you wont get any creepy crawlies hitching a ride back with you.

Great thread, mcseal! I think you're on the right track. It sounds like you're hitting a good balance between being prepared and being weighed down. Great suggestions added as well.

I know it isn't specific to your pack but you mentioned wearing jeans when you hunt. In terms of survival and comfort if the weather turns sour, I'd suggest looking at some light wool pants or better yet one of the lighter weight Sitka pants. They are expensive but they are a much better choice if the weather changes on you. Wool is quieter but doesn't stop the wind as well. Wet jeans are worse than nothing if you have to spend the night out. Just a thought.

Really enjoyed the thread.

tt

Great thread, mcseal! I think you're on the right track. It sounds like you're hitting a good balance between being prepared and being weighed down. Great suggestions added as well.

I know it isn't specific to your pack but you mentioned wearing jeans when you hunt. In terms of survival and comfort if the weather turns sour, I'd suggest looking at some light wool pants or better yet one of the lighter weight Sitka pants. They are expensive but they are a much better choice if the weather changes on you. Wool is quieter but doesn't stop the wind as well. Wet jeans are worse than nothing if you have to spend the night out. Just a thought.

Really enjoyed the thread.

tt

Thanks for the comments, glad others have enjoyed the thread as well. I've been wearing some lighter 6 pocket denim pants while hiking that allow much more freedom of movement than the jeans I'd worn in the past. I was considering using those and the Medalist lightweight silvermax long underwear for a bottom layer. With this set-up I could replace the polypropylene long johns in the pack with a warmer pair of pants just in case. Who makes lightweight wool pants?

Current revised list

-100oz hydration bladder (usually 1/2 full)
-Gerber knife/saw set
-insulated baclava
-dry-plus insulated gloves
-extra socks
-polypropylene long underwear
-wooltimate fleece vest
-lightweight leather gloves
-cell phone
-140hr life headlamp with lithium batteries
-GPS with lithium batteries & trailhead marked
-2 space blankets (the biggest size)
-15ft of braided nylon cord 150lb test
- butane lighter
-magnesium firestarter
-pill bottle of cotton balls coated with vaseline (firestarter)
-6 energy bars
-Katadyn exstream water bottle
-small knife sharpener
-game tag/license & a copy of the rules/regs

The only other suggestion that I can add is a very lightweight isopro burner and a small fuel canister. I carry a MSR burner that attaches directly to the fuel can and is a blowtourch to heat a can of soup/ramen noodles/hot chocolate/coffee. Cold energy bars just don't cut the mustard when you are cold and maybe a little wet and you have to make it until am. It is light weight and gives you an extra feeling of warmth. BTW, I like carrying an issue medium size ALICE ruck. The external pouches also work well to lay a rifle in between for a rest.

The only other suggestion that I can add is a very lightweight isopro burner and a small fuel canister. I carry a MSR burner that attaches directly to the fuel can and is a blowtourch to heat a can of soup/ramen noodles/hot chocolate/coffee. Cold energy bars just don't cut the mustard when you are cold and maybe a little wet and you have to make it until am. It is light weight and gives you an extra feeling of warmth. BTW, I like carrying an issue medium size ALICE ruck. The external pouches also work well to lay a rifle in between for a rest.

Stove mentioned above, I believe:

MSR® PocketRocket™ ultralight canister-fuel stove

Great option for super compact overnighting. Combined with the MSR Titan Teakettle (pot, kettle and cup in one, more or less) you've got an extrememly light, compact cookset. The Pocket Rocket and 4oz. cannister and butane lighter will fit inside the Titan Teakettle.

Thanks for the comments, glad others have enjoyed the thread as well. I've been wearing some lighter 6 pocket denim pants while hiking that allow much more freedom of movement than the jeans I'd worn in the past. I was considering using those and the Medalist lightweight silvermax long underwear for a bottom layer. With this set-up I could replace the polypropylene long johns in the pack with a warmer pair of pants just in case. Who makes lightweight wool pants?

Current revised list

-100oz hydration bladder (usually 1/2 full)
-Gerber knife/saw set
-insulated baclava
-dry-plus insulated gloves
-extra socks
-polypropylene long underwear
-wooltimate fleece vest
-lightweight leather gloves
-cell phone
-140hr life headlamp with lithium batteries
-GPS with lithium batteries & trailhead marked
-2 space blankets (the biggest size)
-15ft of braided nylon cord 150lb test
- butane lighter
-magnesium firestarter
-pill bottle of cotton balls coated with vaseline (firestarter)
-6 energy bars
-Katadyn exstream water bottle
-small knife sharpener
-game tag/license & a copy of the rules/regs

A coupla more suggestions:

--zippered emergency bivvy sac in place of space blankets...this will work much better to heat a small space around you to keep you warma and dry and out of the wind/rain than space blankets--I've spent a few wet cold nights in space blankets and would much rather have had something like this. I can almost guarantee that it would be more comfortable. Several versions out there--get a zippered one to help 'seal' you in and the elements out.

ADVENTURE MEDICAL KITS Heatsheets Emergency Bivy - Eastern Mountain Sports

Thermo-Lite 2.0 Bivy Sack, 89033 | Emergency Shelters & Blankets | Survival | GEAR | items from Campmor.

These are probably not meant to be used repeatedly and you seem to indicate you do with your space blankets. In place of the use you mentioned you typically use your space blankets, I'd suggest a good

--waterproof/breathable/windproof jacket (w/ at least hood, hem cinch, pitzips) and pants with very warm w/b gloves and a warm hat. The warm balaclava's do an amazing job (as you've found) because they keep nearly you entire head and neck warm. We always talk about losing the majority of body heat out of our heads, but I bet an exposed neck loses a tremendous amount of heat as well and a

--balaclava helps with that immensely.

--jettison carrying the regs and either jot down a few notes or commit to memory what is needed. If you carry a PPC as many here at lrh.com do for lrh, then you can often download a .pdf version of the regs to your PPC and that version of the regs doesn't weigh too much and doesn't take up a whole lot of room. Just work with it before you leave and make sure you know what pages in the file you might need to get to so that you're not wasting a bunch of battery power searching for what you want in the document.

--butane performance really starts to drop off below 32F. If you might use it, keep in in a pocket next to skin for awhile before you do. I forgot to do this one night in the tent and woke up to 12F and could not get a flame until I warmed it up first.

--still carry waterproof 'storm' matches in waterproof container in case the butane lighter craps out for some other (mechanical) reason...make sure you have a dry surface (side of matchbox) that will ignite them

--absolutely no cotton in the mountains... There's a very old and time honored saying that 'cotton kills'. Probalem with cotton is that the entire fiber soaks in water to the very core and takes a tremendous amount of heat (yours) to dry it out. Which setting is highest on your dryer? Cotton, typically. Most 'wicking' fibers have what's called a hydrophobic core such that the moisture moves along the outside of the fiber, but does not soak into the core. For instance, you can take a fleece (or other 'wicking' fibers) garment completely soak it in water and swing it violently around your head to wring the water out and it will feel much drier to the touch and ready to trap heat in all its little airspaces immediately. Try that with cotton. Wool is great, but once it gets wet, it is also takes alot of heat to completely dry out. For this reason, I'd take fleece over wool any day.

--make sure your socks aren't cotton and this is one area that I'll use wool. It's a very durable fiber and not much else will make a good sock and hold up to hard use. The old advice is 2pr socks. A thin, tight fitting, wicking (keep that foot skin dry!) inner pair under a thicker, insulating pair. My current favorites: http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/products/1843/Bridgedale-Coolmax-Liner-Sock-2pack-Mens.html and http://www.altrec.com/bridgedale-socks/mens-endurance-summit-socks Bridgedale is known in the outdoor industry as likely the best sock out there.

The inner pair will almost act like a second skin if sized properly, helping to prevent hotspots/blisters. And get those socks off and dry them and your feet and boots out every night if possible, which reminds me of something else--

--Thinsulate seems like a great insulation, but my experience with it in boots anyway is that it seems to hold moisture and if you aren't diligent to dry those boots out every night, they will get wetter and heavier and colder. I'm not so sure the same thing doesn't happen it Thinsulate insulated gloves that get wet. This is how I deal with it: Kifaru Parastove with special order 7' stove pipe pictures from hiking & backpacking photos on webshots . :)

--leather is heavy and will just soak up water typically.

--Since one of the most important things (if not just about the number one rule) about mtn. travel is to stay dry, I don't like having materials with me that literally soak up water and dry very slowly. Bad combination if the survival push ever came to a shove.

--ALWAYS make sure you have the '10 Essentials' with you at all times- Ten Essentials - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ...besides the sunglasses and sunscreen, unles your hunting early season.

--I'm a big fan of down jackets with shells with a DWR (durable water repellent). The North Face, Marmot and Patagonia make some good ones. There is nothing that is as light as down and insulates as well for it's weight like down that will keep you warm and comfortable and help you survive a night out. But you MUST keep it dry. Being very lightweight and very compressilbe, it is the backpacker's friend. Look for at least 700 fill power. I jettisoned my heavy, not very compressible fleece jacket for a down jacket some years ago and have never looked back.

Just some more stuff to think about. I figure that even if I'm out for a day, if I don't have the stuff to be somewhat comfortable for a night out or be able to help someone else out for a night, I'm packing too lean. Just me. Opinions vary, but with as far as you are getting from the truck, I'd lean very heavily to this philosophy. Just me. Happy hunting!

Edit: I wear a pair of wool pants as well, I should say, as they are durable and warm. Haven't checked out the Sitka pants yet and probably won't with the price they are asking---for a pair of pants!! Gimme a break.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.