Mountain hunt daypack essentials

I agree with getting rid of the blue jeans, and all other cotton products, especially underwear that will get sweaty and chafe hell out of you. Cornstarch is godd for that-saved my butt more than once.. Once cotton is wet, wind and temperature will combine to make you miserable. Silk underwear and wool pants will keep you far warmer. 2 of the largest space blankets AND a space tent, along with your wool shirt,vest, midweight coat and pants and socks, will protect you in all but the most savage conditions. And a set of rain gear.Filson, IMHO, makes the best of this gear, and it'll last your granchildren a lifetime, properly cared for.

You need 200" of 550# paracord-then you can lash branhces or limbs to make a better and more storm resistant shelter. Or make a drag or braid into a rope. First aid for sure. AND a product from LaRue Tactical called Celox A. It's the same thing troops in Iraq and Afghanistan use to control severe bleeding. A little extra weight beats hell out of bleeding to death from an accidental gunshot wound, slip of a knife or hand axe, or open (compound) fracture. Extra pair of glasses if you wear them. I lost mine running through the woods one time and spent 5 days using dark glassses all the time. Got some strange looks, for sure

Try to find some British Lifeboat Matches-I think Brigade Quartermasters sells them. Regular torches they are. Kudos to the writer with the lightng end of the fusee. The rest of it could probably be started with a good windproof lighter. MRE's weigh practically nothing. Extra pair of shoelaces? #45 sunscreen at high elevations. At 64 I've had my third run of basal skin cancer from working outside all my life-lot's of fun, as you might guess. The Katadyne is excellent but carry some purification tablets too. Nothing worse than the runs and not enough toilet paper-2 rolls, please. None of this weighs much, and the water will be the heaviest, that or the rifle and ammo and scope. Think safety. Hunt safely. Keep a weather eye. Bed down early if you see you can't get back before dark. Carry several rounds of tracer ammo for your handgun. At night it can be seen a long way off.

The rest of these folks have a lot of good ideas. And just maybe the US Army's high mountain manual to read for fun. lightbulblightbulblightbulb:)

Respectfully

Donald Conner
[email protected]

I am really happy that this thread has kept going so long with so many good ideas. It seems that my list is not the only one that is constantly changing, and I think that is great. Thanks to everyone for the good ideas. Hopefully we never need to use any of this emergency gear, but I would sure rather be prepared than dead.

I will definitely be replacing the jeans for next year with wool, and have replaced the underlayer with polypropylene. I will never buy cotton long johns again for anything.

There are many great tips in this thread, but one should always remember the perhaps most important thing. Learn, try, practice, remember the relevant stuff and think, think, think while hunting (camping etc) in the great outdoors. Knowledge in our brain weights nothing.

I agree about the knowledge, it is vital. This post really got me thinking and reading to see what I can improve on.

Since starting this I bought the US army and SAS survival books, as well as several other surivival mauals. Much of the material overlaps, but there is something in every one to make you think, like the posts here.

Something I bought recently was a few Light My Fire brand Firesteel's. I got the army model for my big pack, and the smaller Scout model for the daypack. Reading reviews on many of the lighters they say butane doesn't always work at high elevation. The firesteel lights a vaseline'd cotton ball in a couple tries if you fray the cotton out a little and let the sparks fall right in the center. I put a small pill bottle of the cotton balls and a small lighter right on the cord for the steel so I have a fire kit all in one. I figure if I ever fall crossing a creek or something having everything in one place will be good.

I upped the cord I carry to 25yds of 150lb braided nylon cord and 15yds of 400lb cord. They work for boot laces and building shelter. They take up little room and don't weigh much. I rolled them up and wrapped them with a 1" wide strip of duck tape that can also be re-used for other things.

I also added a military emergency poncho that has grommets in the corners for use as a tarp. With that and the cord a shelter can be rigged. If the weather is bad I also have a Coglan's tube tent I can add that weighs about a pound. The rope that comes with the Coglan's tent isn't much so I use the 400lb braided cord I carry if I need it.

I replaced one space blanket with a Adventure medical emergency bivy as was advised here, thanks for the good tip. I still carry one cheap mylar blanket to use as a groundsheet or improve an improvised shelter.

I also added a Quickclot sponge and a roll of vet-wrap to the first aid kit. With that plus the tape and cord I could make a decent bandage or splint to get off the mountain.

I added 3 mid-size trash bags rolled tight also, as was advised here. They don't weigh much, can be used for sitting on, carrying water, staying dry, or lining my pack for packing meat.

I started carrying a 3" Schrade firebird lockback knife in my pocket. It can be used as a backup for processing game, is nice for caping, and only weighs 1.4oz.

I also bought one of the SOG field pup knives to replace my Gerber. It weighs the same and is a sturdier fixed blade design. It's a really nice knife with good AUS 8 steel that is easy to resharpen.

After reading the advice on down I bought a Cabela's synthetic down pack vest to replace the bulkier wooltimate vest I had. It is warm, packs small, and is light.

I bought lightweight Patagonia 1/4 zip undershirts and Medalist light bottoms and loved them on the last hunt, they were way better than the old cotton one's I'd used. Thanks for the advice.

I'm planning to buy some Sitka bottoms, probably the mountain pants, for this fall. I'm watching a website called Camofire where they have Sitka gear on sale cheaper than anywhere else I've looked. I'm also looking at down jackets with a hood. If I find one I like I might take it in place of the down vest in colder weater.

I ended up using the Camelback stryker pack most of the time instead of the Eberlestock packs last hunt. The weather was warm and we were hunting timber most of the time so the scabbard wouldn't have helped much. The styker is lighter and holds more than I need at 1280CI. I didn't use the water bladder much, it holds two 20oz bottles on the side pockets and I prefered that. I wouldn't have needed that much water with the Katadyn filter, I never ended up using the filter or running out of water. The total pack weight was under 14lbs, I added some items but the stryker is much lighter than the eberlestocks. It still carried out a muley hind quarter and the backstraps without problems.

That's about what I've figured out to date. Thanks again to all those who have posted ideas to help me so far, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully others have learned from the ideas also.

That's about what I've figured out to date. Thanks again to all those who have posted ideas to help me so far, I really appreciate your help. Hopefully others have learned from the ideas also.

There is a vast amount of knowledge and in our world, some of it gone but a good deal alive. Hunting out of your backpack in midst of the wilderness is a great way to refresh your sense of live.

Something I rarely see is a discussion on the way how to carry game home. Arguably the ideal carrier is a Kraxen (external frame pack) which dates at least back into the Alpine Bronze or possible Copper Age. However you have often only our light ruck with you, so you have to improvise.

Medium size game is IMHO best carried "Swiss style" as seen in this picture: http://www.aargauerzeitung.ch/schwe...er-wild-11784313/asset/0/@@teaserImage/detail

Ropes are indeed always helpful. Deer will have to be portioned, but large parts might be carried in a similar way, for example with the help of your broad padded rifle sling easing the pressure against your front. Large, strong litterbags can be improvised into a long hood which helps to keep the blood out of your cloths.

P.S: These "shoes" invite extreme mockery, but IMHO there is no better stalking shoe for relative warm and quite dry weather. You feel the ground very well indeed, moving more silently and smoothly. Great grip over rocks and almost flying feet. Some, me included love them, however some who tried them just hate them. For longer stalks in colder and wetter weather I simply carry a pair of warm wool socks and if come to a good spotting place I get out of them, rub my feet put the socks on and put my feet on something or into a litter bag. Needless to say, if it really gets cold and wet you need proper boots. You also need to adjust slowly to them to train up your feet muscles. http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/barefoot-sports/

Last edited:
Something that I picked up from Tikkamike that I'm surprised no one has mentioned here, is Hot Hands. They're pretty nice to slip in your gloves or boots when things start to get cold and miserable. Also, I plan on buying a Havalon knife. They are light and use disposable blades so you don't have to carry heavy fixed blades with sharpening tools.

I can not believe no one has mentioned it already or maybe they did and I simply missed it but one of the most important pieces I would add to your current list is a compass.

A GPS can die/freak out/hangup/get wet etc... Its always recommended to have a basic compass backup. Cost almost no weight and space and can be a true life saver. If you need a GPS you also need a compass. Many modern day survival situatons come from being either under prepared for changing conditions or relying on modern electronic gear that quits working.

I do always carry a compass, but I must have left it off my original post. It never leaves the daypack. Good spot on my error, Thanks.

Here is my latest revised list after adding items mentioned and switching a few around. I don't have an accurate current weight because some of the items are in my vehicle emergency kits for the winter, but it's still around 14-15lbs. I want to get extras bought this year so the hunting pack can stay packed. The clothing will have to be adjusted according to temperature and the plan for the day. I made this list after my Wyoming hunt and temps ranged from 30-70 while hunting.

Daypack

Main pocket
-Sog field pup & small sharpener w/ steel
-GPS with lithium AAA batteries & trailhead & key points marked
-blaze orange windshear fleece baclava
-GI rain poncho (has tiedown grommets in corners, unsnaps to make shelter)
-Cabelas synthetic down pack vest (light, packable, and warm, loved it)
-Cabelas windshear camo windbreaker jacket (wear or put it on after the walk in to keep from sweating)
-Pack liners (2 for seats in snow, rain, or packing meat)
-cabelas dry plus 40gr thinsulate gloves
Survival kit
-handwarmers (2 7hr packs)
-adventure medical "heatsheets emergency bivy)
-light mylar space blanket
-small butane lighter
-firesteel
-pill bottle of vaseline coated cotton balls (tinder)
-sandwich bag of lint (more tinder, very light)
-25 yds of 150lb braided nylon cord (boot laces or other uses)
-15yds of 400lb braided nylon cord
-cord wrapped in 1" wide strip of duck tape (can be used with vetwrap for bandages)
-Katadyn hiker water filter
-Esbit stove & fuel
-Snow peak .7L pot & lid with oatmeal and tea packets (6oz total)
-quickclot (1 small pouch)
-vet wrap (1 roll w/ 2 safety pins)
-4'x4' gauze pads (4)

Front pocket
-scope cloth
-Petzl headlamp (3 AAA) 200hr battery life low, 55hr high 100hr red
-Petzl headlamp (E+lite 1 ounce back-up light. Uses same battery as wind meter)
-compass
-spare lithium batteries (3AAA)
-camera w/ 2AA lithium batteries (can't find a AAA camera)
-10 rounds ammo in camo sleeve

- 20oz gatorade
- 20oz water
-4 Cliff bar energy bars and a bag of jerky. The jerky got the taste of the cliff bars out of my mouth, they are light and high energy but not the best tasting. I never ate more than 1 or 2 a day.

Stoney point rapid pivot bipod sitting & prone models

binoculars, rangefinder, wind meter, 4 rounds extra ammunition, Schrade 1.4oz firebird knife & compact lighter are carried on my person.

I saw that Cabelas has microtex light hunting pants on sale for $40, anyone tried these for a hunting pant? I've been looking at Sitka pants but these may be a cheaper option. The reviews say they are light, stop wind, and dry very fast.

The list is still under construction, I've considered replacing the plain mylar bag with one of my 5'x7' Grabber heavy duty emergency blankets that are much sturdier. They weigh about 10oz more, but are far better built, more like a tarp. I would also like to get a Kifaru Supertarp but it costs $310 and adds 1lb for something I'd hope not to use. I'll get one eventually, they look like a great light shelter for 1 or 2 people, but it hasn't fit the budget yet. I did get a couple Coglan's tube tents for the vehicle kits and they can be thrown in for now if snow or rain looks likely for a little more shelter. No list will ever be perfect, clothing and shelter options will need to be based on the hunting plan and weather. This thread really has taught me alot and got me thinking about what is and isn't necessary under different conditions. I'm looking at doing a backpack hunt with a friend this fall and my research for that really opened my eyes about what is available and recommended. That list will be posted for critique also when it is a little further along.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Glad someone finally mentioned a compass. I'd add a good topo map of the area to go along with the compass. The baby wipes and extra socks are both good ideas. Nothing like wiping down after a sweaty hike up the mountain. Maybe an extra tee/undershirt in case one gets sweat soaked. The extra socks are great. I learn this hiking. At the half way point on a hike, we'd take off our boots and socks, let our feet air out or even soak in a stream if available, then put on fresh socks and continue. Amazing how this almost seems to re-energize you!
I also carry band-aids in a ziplock. I'm forever somehow cutting my finger. Also, an "Afterbite" pen for mosquito bites or bee stings can be handy.

Excellent posts. I have done backpack hunting off and on for over 25 years and I have picked up many good tips. I have just one for you: Tweezers. I don't know about Wyoming as I have never had the pleasure of hunting there, but when I used to hunt Utah there was cactus, and that stuff stalked me! A pair weighs nothing but when you need them they can save you a lot of pain.

I'll add one more thing...don't laugh. I carry a few of these in my car(actually my wife put them there).

A "feminine pad".

I leave them in my car. I believe they would be great for stopping bleeding in an emergency. If you were injured and bleeding from a cut in the back country, one of these taped tightly or compressed over a badly bleeding wound would beat a piece of gauze, paper towel, hankerchief, bandaid etc.
Plus, you can buy them sealed, they're compact, lightweight and they are sanitary.

edit: Of course you'll have to "borrow" a couple from your wife or girlfriend. Never seen a man yet that would actually go into a store and buy these "things"!

I'll add one more thing...don't laugh. I carry a few of these in my car(actually my wife put them there).

A "feminine pad".

I leave them in my car. I believe they would be great for stopping bleeding in an emergency. If you were injured and bleeding from a cut in the back country, one of these taped tightly or compressed over a badly bleeding wound would beat a piece of gauze, paper towel, hankerchief, bandaid etc.
Plus, you can buy them sealed, they're compact, lightweight and they are sanitary.

edit: Of course you'll have to "borrow" a couple from your wife or girlfriend. Never seen a man yet that would actually go into a store and buy these "things"!

Must have been 10 years ago I realized that if I, or we, got shot, stabed on a sharp limb or a bad broken bone we would bleed to death before reaching the truck. Saw a story in F & Stream about Quick Clot. Its like coolaid...just pour it in the opening and pack it in and it will stop all bleeding and they will cut it out at the Hosp.

Thank GOD I still pack it around un used for me or anyone else! Saw a mention earlier of the newer spounge QuickClot and it should be lighter and more effective. (My original stuff has no EXP Date ...called mfg several times and same answer.)
As I tell my self....." you don't want to die cause you are stupid".

Good Luck and safe hunting.

A couple of things I could suggest as an add on to the O/P list would be is waterproof matches in a sealed container with a striker and an assortment of field stripped MRE's with the heaters. You never know when the lighters that you carry are going to crap out on you and some of the long burn waterproof matches would get the job done better on a wet windy day trying to get that tinder started. The MRE's after being field stripped out of the original bag and boxes dont take up too much room and you cant imagine how good a warm meal is til you have had to miss one. The MRE heaters use a small amount of water to heat the food so you dont have to have any kind of cooking vessel. If you are going to carry a compass, which I also suggest you do, you need to know how to use one. Dont just go buy one and pack it along, take the time to learn how to use it, if you ever need it you'll be glad you did.

Safe hunting, BK.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.