Daypack choice/weight/gear

catorres1

I recently bought my first pack for a hunt that came up very quickly in West Texas. I bought it at Cabelas, so I can return it or exchange it and having used it this weekend, I am considering doing so, but need some advice on what to expect as this is new for me.

The pack I want is for an all day hunt, from a camp, so no need for 3 days or something. I do want to be able to haul meat back on it.

What I want to put in the pack is water, rifle, spotting scope and tripod, maybe shooting sticks, knife, meat bags, flashlight, small camera, and maybe a few other small things depending on the situation and the weather at the time of year.

I ended going to all the local stores (Cabelas, Gander, Bass Pro, REI), and what I found was fit with weight in it is king. The Cabelas pack I wanted was too short, so when I stuck 40 pounds of weight in it, it was all on my shoulders. I am tall enough that most off the shelf packs would not work.

Long story short, the only pack available that was long enough was a Badlands 2200 and the Clutch. I liked the gun carrier on the Eberlestock Gunrunner they had, but it was too short a pack for me. They sold the 2200 before I got back to get it, so I ended up with the Clutch, bigger and more expensive than I planned. But the sales guys said...try it, bring it back after your hunt if you don't like it. So I had to go that way.

The pack worked fine, but things got heavy fast. With all the stuff I had in it, it was in the area of 40 pounds (my rifle is 10 lbs with 10 rounds and sling).

Honestly, my shoulders never hurt,it was all on my waist, but it seemed a little crazy carrying all that weight just for a daypack to me. That said, the pack is 7.2 pounds, rifle is 10 and the 106 oz of water I carried was like 6.5. Is this what most of you guys end up carrying weight wise?

I ask because I am trying to determine what to expect realistically and whether I should keep this pack or move down to the 2200 (two pounds lighter), or some other pack in my price range. However, if this is just par for the course, I will stay with what I have as it seems very versatile and has most of what I want in a pack. What I like about the Clutch is it is described and seems to be a pack for multiple uses, from daypack to overnighter, and it has the kinds of pockets I want...especially for carrying a spotting scope etc.

What I don't like is it's 7.2 pounds....and if I don't ever overnight, then I don't need the larger size of the main compartment, so I could go down to the 2200.....and the rife carrying solution....too slow by far, both pack suffer this problem.

So how much weight and stuff do you guys carry for a day's use?

What should I be expecting realistically for a daypack and equipment to weight?

And what do you use to haul it?

Keep in mind, I have narrowed my choices to:
1) Ones I can afford....Kifaru and every mystery ranch except the Dragon Slayer are just too much for me. The Clutch would not have been possible without a bunch of Cabelas discounts I had saved up
2) those I can try on as I found fit while carry weight was critical to making my choice.

I do like all the pockets, I don't like packs with one big storage area. I would prefer a better rifle carry solution. I thought about the Kifaru gunbearer, but having the barrel in my face seemed awkward. I tried the Gunslinger Corral, but so far, that has not worked and it seems to squeek terribly.

Thanks!

I definitely believe that when it comes to packs you get what you pay for. I backpack hunt a lot and I am moving and hiking all day while hunting, sitting in a blind or tree stand seems extremely boring. I use an eberlestock J107 and the reason why is I usually pack in at least 3-4 miles. I then use the same pack as my day pack carrying about 30 pounds of gear including game bags, GPS, camera, skinning knives, basic survival gear, and water. The J107 also has a scabbard to carry my rifle when I am trying to cover ground quick and if I harvest an animal I don't have to return to camp to pack it out. Another bonus is that the top of the pack can be converted into a fanny pack.

I have used many packs in the past from military alice packs to some from cabelas and I finally gave in and spent the money on a quality pack and I don't regret it at all. I have had up to 90 pounds in the eberlestock and was very pleased.

Thanks for the reply! I am looking at some Eberlestock packs as well, been talking to them on the phone too. My problem is that I cannot try them on, the only one I can is the gunrunner, and that did not fit well at all. I called them about the Team Elk and the Just One (J34) today, and they tell me that it is fully adjustable for length, where the Team Elk is not, so I am considering that one. But its about the same size, weight, and cost as the Badlands Clutch I used, so not sure what I gain...it actually weighs slightly more, but has a better rifle carrying system...

I sure with they were available for me to try on with some weight in them. I might just order it from Cabelas and try it and return the one I don't want.

But I guess one major question I want to know...how much weight do most people carry on their backs in their daypacks? Like I said, with rifle, I was at about 40 pounds, which seems excessive. Some of that was a camera system that was too bulky, but all I have right now. I also brought a small rear bag that actually weighed more than I thought at 1.5 pounds, so those two will have to go, and without them, the pack and gun are at 33 pounds or so. So we are talking a 23 pound pack. Still seems excessive, but maybe that's reality.

For reference, I usto just hunt out there with a fanny pack loaded with as much water as I could hold in it, binos, a knife, a compass and a flashlight. That and my rifle and that's it, so this is quite a change for me.

Sounds like you are running about 30 pounds in your daypack, which is about what I was running this weekend as well....

If that comes down to it, then it's just a question of the Estock or the Badlands....

I would say that I am running around 25 to 30 pounds but with the eberlestock it does feel like a burden at all. My J107 is adjustable and it fits me good I am 6'5" so on the taller side and now that I have it adjusted to me I like it. I wish it had a few more pockets to separate things but that isn't a huge priority to me. I have the same problem with not being able to try before I buy which is why I like cabelas (great with returns).

Well I think the type of hunt will have alot to do with what kind of pack your using..

If its a day hunt and you don't have to worry about packing out the meat cape skull and racks or horns then the badlands superday pack or eblerestock x1a1 WILL DO just fine

If your gonna be packing out the meat and cape rack and skull then the 2200 isnt the right pack .. I will suggest the eblerstock team elk pack

If you can save some money or sell some useless equipment try to go for the Mr crewcab it will serve you well but may be way out of your price range but as one reply said the one expense that shouldn't be cut short is on a good pack

I'm trying to figure out just where in West Texas you are hunting that you'll have a need to pack meat out very far at all?

Generally the problem with finding a good "day pack" that doubles for hauling gear and meat is that they are two different applications.

It's really hard to beat just a good frame pack with a shelf for hauling meat. Add whatever meat bags you prefer, just ensure that it's breathable and strap it on.

For a dedicated daypack that will also carry a rifle I've been giving consideration to the Tenzing 1400.

Tenzing TC SP14 Shooter's Pack Hunting Backpack Realtree Max Xtra 9 Compartments | eBay

Adequate room for a day's gear, food, and water along with a center mounted rifle that can be fired without even taking it off of the pack.

I've hunted West Texas though for over 40 years and can't remember yet having to haul meat out or a whole carcass for that matter more than a couple of hundred yards to get to where I could load it directly into a truck, or onto a horse or four wheeler.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I have been reading etc. for a few days, going to talk with Aron from Kifaru today to get some advice as well.

But at the moment, it really looks like I may wait a while and save up and get a daypack I can strap to a Kifaru frame and go that route. I returned my BL Clutch, too heavy and to much unneeded space. But I want a frame to carry out meat etc, so I am thinking a smaller pack, like a Kuiu 1850, strapped on the Kifaru frame. Kifaru bags are just too much money for me right now, but their reputation for comfort, durability and expandability are something I like.

As to the use, that's one reason I'm probably going to wait. We had plans to hunt a bunch this year, and then go to Montana next fall. But I'm laying here on the couch having had ankle surgery, so plans are delayed at this point.

But ultimately, I want something that will work for many if not all situations. I try to buy the best I can that will fit for all uses.

Wildrose, technically, where we hunt is not West Texas. But I live in Austin, so everything west of SA is West Texas for posting purposes. We are actually west of Rocksprings a ways. It's an unusual ranch in that much of the area is fairly flat, but this ranch sits in a valley between two fairly extensive sets of canyons/hill areas. It's that thornbrush/cedar covered stuff, super rocky, lots of loose rocks and boulders, but very steep, with some parts being impassable because the walls are vertical.

It's an interesting part of land as most of the land in the area is pretty flat, but this ranch and a few around it got lots of canyons etc...which is why, I guess, the Mouflon and Auodad have moved in happily.

We can get a four wheeler to the start of the canyons, but from there it's all walking and sidehilling through the maze of thornbrush. My buddy, whose uncle owns the ranch, said no one but his dad hunts there because no one wants to try and haul out a kill. They just hunt the valley and the lower hills where they can get the 4 wheelers through.

But that's not where the Auodad are, and anyway, that's not the practice and experience I am looking for.

I hope to figure out a way to hunt true West Texas for Aoudad in the next year or so. Money is the issue, well that and my surgery. But that will heal soon enough, so I just have to come up with the coin.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

I have been reading etc. for a few days, going to talk with Aron from Kifaru today to get some advice as well.

But at the moment, it really looks like I may wait a while and save up and get a daypack I can strap to a Kifaru frame and go that route. I returned my BL Clutch, too heavy and to much unneeded space. But I want a frame to carry out meat etc, so I am thinking a smaller pack, like a Kuiu 1850, strapped on the Kifaru frame. Kifaru bags are just too much money for me right now, but their reputation for comfort, durability and expandability are something I like.

As to the use, that's one reason I'm probably going to wait. We had plans to hunt a bunch this year, and then go to Montana next fall. But I'm laying here on the couch having had ankle surgery, so plans are delayed at this point.

But ultimately, I want something that will work for many if not all situations. I try to buy the best I can that will fit for all uses.

Wildrose, technically, where we hunt is not West Texas. But I live in Austin, so everything west of SA is West Texas for posting purposes. We are actually west of Rocksprings a ways. It's an unusual ranch in that much of the area is fairly flat, but this ranch sits in a valley between two fairly extensive sets of canyons/hill areas. It's that thornbrush/cedar covered stuff, super rocky, lots of loose rocks and boulders, but very steep, with some parts being impassable because the walls are vertical.

It's an interesting part of land as most of the land in the area is pretty flat, but this ranch and a few around it got lots of canyons etc...which is why, I guess, the Mouflon and Auodad have moved in happily.

We can get a four wheeler to the start of the canyons, but from there it's all walking and sidehilling through the maze of thornbrush. My buddy, whose uncle owns the ranch, said no one but his dad hunts there because no one wants to try and haul out a kill. They just hunt the valley and the lower hills where they can get the 4 wheelers through.

But that's not where the Auodad are, and anyway, that's not the practice and experience I am looking for.

I hope to figure out a way to hunt true West Texas for Aoudad in the next year or so. Money is the issue, well that and my surgery. But that will heal soon enough, so I just have to come up with the coin.
Sounds like a really neat place. Let this be a bit of inspiration for you. I had to have a complete reconstruction of my right ankle two years ago and I do mean "complete". One year to the day following that surgery I was in New Mexico at 9500ft helping Mario carry out his Elk.

You might want to consider looking at the Eberlestock F1-F2 combo along with their meat bags. For a single unit to meet all your needs that might be the way to go.

Wildrose,

Thanks for the kind words. Laying on the couch just now, it's something to look forward to. The hardest part has been figuring out how to do it. I connected with a guy in Montana sometime back who was going to show us the ropes and get us started up there, but lost my connection with him. So it's kind of like knocking on a locked door. You know where to go and how to get there, but can't get through once you are there. We just don't know how to hunt, to put it frankly, and I can't figure out how to get the skills short of paying for expensive guided trips that I cannot afford. But not giving up on it, a way will be found.

So on those hopes, I'll check into those packs. That might be a good solution that is more feasible than the Kifaru route.

Wildrose,

Thanks for the kind words. Laying on the couch just now, it's something to look forward to. The hardest part has been figuring out how to do it. I connected with a guy in Montana sometime back who was going to show us the ropes and get us started up there, but lost my connection with him. So it's kind of like knocking on a locked door. You know where to go and how to get there, but can't get through once you are there. We just don't know how to hunt, to put it frankly, and I can't figure out how to get the skills short of paying for expensive guided trips that I cannot afford. But not giving up on it, a way will be found.

So on those hopes, I'll check into those packs. That might be a good solution that is more feasible than the Kifaru route.
While you're recuperating spend as much time as you can increase your knowledge base dramatically as well as do a lot of networking with members who have a wealth of experience to share.

Best of luck on the recovery.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.