Can't decide on a daypack

romad97

I am in the market for a daypack. I just looked at and tried on the tenzing 2220 and I liked the way it fit and looked. Obviously I have no idea how it packs but it looked like it would be ok. My ideal features are that the pack is small for day use but big enough to possibly carry out some meat from a deer or small hog size animal. I want the ability to cary a rifle on the pack for long hikes. I have searched and read a ton of stuff on this subject on numerous forums. There is just so much info its hard to decide. Other packs I have researched but not seen in person are the eberlestock gunrunner and the x1e. I just dont want to end up with a bigger pack than I need as I intend on purchasing a larger elk hunting pack in the future.

Mystery Ranch has a weapons carry pack at 3000 cu-i. I like the fact that the rifle is carried at a 45 deg. angle versus straight up and down.

It is going to be my next pack. I currently carry a crew cab but haven't liked the way I have to carry my rifle. Other than that it's a great day pack (crew-cab).

I have the Tenzing 2220 and have been very happy with it. Big enough to carry most necessities for a day hunt. The other thing I wanted (and it has) is a 'pouch' to carry my rifle strapped in if I don't want it on my shoulder.

Recently got the Eberlestock Team Elk from Len and Andy and is working out very well.
Gun scabbard center of back and lots of room. Metal frame should help in carrying meat although I have yet to do that.

How much money do you want to spend? What features do you really want in the pack? For instance do you really want it to be a weight-bearing pack or do you just want a standard day pack that can carry meet once in a while if you have to?

You are right there is so much information out there and so many options this is a really tough issue if you can't try out packs yourself.

I can tell you what I've done. I tried most packs out there. I ended up with a stone glacier solo pack which is the best day pack ive ever owned. Super light, narrow, super tough, and high quality with lots of features. It also morphs into a meat hauler if you need it to so you can go in light and come out heavy on the first trip. I've had a small rear elk quarter in the back of mine. You couldn't get much bigger than that Which is fine for me since I have a dedicated meat Pack at camp with me at all times. Or if I'm far in the back country I'm boning it out anyway and my stone glacier works fine. I have also had two elk front quarters in the load shelf at the same time. This is a great pack if the price doesn't scare you away.

Also, the rifle carry is really nice. It carries on the side but stays super tight and you have instant access to your rifle with one pull of the strap. No taking your pack off or anything to have access. I love it!

he has added lots of bag options since I bought mine so you have all kinds of sizes,shapes, and design concepts to choose from.

Good luck!

It is tough like many things nowadays as there are so many choices and good packs to choose from. I bought a KUIU 1850 pack as well as their 6000 ultra (light) bag. I can backpack my gear in with the 6000 and take it off the frame in camp and put on the 1850. They are unbelievably light. The 2 packs are way lighter than my previous Cableas Alaskan guide. I packed out a hind quarter and about 30 lbs of gear on the first trip and it was really comfortable. I used my 1850 pack all day and used it probably about 35 days this fall and absolutely loved it! I like the versatility to most as I can bow or rifle hunt with it. Good packs are not cheap but I thought the KUIU's were the most reasonably priced and it was exactly what I wanted. I too don't like the idea of using a "big" pack as a daypack as some packs promote this idea. Not that it doesn't work but I'd rather have a smaller pack for my normal day hunts and use the big bag just for packing in camp.

It is hard to try them on but I went to the Utah Hunt Expo in Feb last year as they had many pack mfg. there so you could try on many hunting packs. Good luck on your decision.

I decided to go with the tenzing 2200 mostly becouse I found a really good deal on one.. So far I have only had it out on 1 hunt. It seems like its a good pack but only more time with it will tell. I truly wanted a day pack becouse I am the type of person that will talk themselves into carrying more and more stuff if I have the room. Ultimately I would have liked a multi use pack that could be compacted down but I just know my personality and I would end up stuffing it full of stuff I don't need for day use. I will purchase a nice big meat hauler at some point but, for now I hope this tenzing fills my needs. For the most part I am just tree stand hunting for whitetail and some spot and stalk for hogs so I think this bag should fill this need. Thanks for all the responses.

I have the Kuiu 1800 Ultra, I love it. Its one of the lightest packs out, has a carbon fiber frame and has a sling system so you can haul out meat or more gear out side the pack bag. you can also switch out pack sizes onto the frame in a couple of minutes. also has a gun sling/strap system you can attach.

I have an eberlestock x1. I like it real well for carrying my rifle. It works well for items I feel I need for a day pack, I do wish that it had a couple more smaller compartments, feel it would keep me from digging in the large compartment for items. Not sure but think they make small pouches that you can add to the pack. For packing meat I use a pack called Black Jack (he's a 15 hand mule) and as long as I share my lunch he seems to pack anything I can put on him. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.