Model 700 extraction issue

Chambers and dies vary in size, you need to measure the case body at three points after firing and full length resizing.

Note on a semi-auto the resized case should be .003 to .005 smaller in diameter than its fired diameter. This allows the case to spring back from the chamber walls and extract reliably.

Your problem could be as simple as a skinny chamber and a fat die that does not reduce case diameter enough.

New cases chamber fine and fired cases don't whether resized or not.

Wouldn't a bulge be taken care of by the resizing die?

Don't get me wrong here guys, I appreciate all the feedback. It's just not adding up to me. I seem to be able to shoot holes in every idea except maybe the chamber polishing.

I've heard of gunsmiths who roughen up the chamber some, such that it reduces rearward thrust on the bolt. Can you feel roughness with a dental pick?

I had issues with the bolt on my 700lr in 300 rum with fired cases... Did they mill the extractor rivet on your rifle for clearance? They sure didn't on my rifle... A quick hit with a dremmel to mill the rivet down fixed my issues.

I had issues with the bolt on my 700lr in 300 rum with fired cases... Did they mill the extractor rivet on your rifle for clearance? They sure didn't on my rifle... A quick hit with a dremmel to mill the rivet down fixed my issues.

If I remember correctly, it looked to Have been ground off on the bottom of the bolt. Is that what you are referring to? Doesn't look milled lol

He did say that unfired new ammo/cases extracted/cycled just fine.

He did say that unfired new ammo/cases extracted/cycled just fine.
that's exactly how my rifle acted... new stuff was fine, but fired stuff didn't do either way worth a crap and wanted to stick in the bolt. The 300 rum is fatter above the rim so they need to watch clearance more than they need to with the belted mags; trouble is, if it works with factory it is fine as far as Remington is concerned.

that's exactly how my rifle acted... new stuff was fine, but fired stuff didn't do either way worth a crap and wanted to stick in the bolt. The 300 rum is fatter above the rim so they need to watch clearance more than they need to with the belted mags; trouble is, if it works with factory it is fine as far as Remington is concerned.

Lefty- Was yours sticking in the bolt, or the chamber? Once mine "breaks free from the chamber" it ejects fine. It doesn't stick in the bolt that I can tell. Are you referring to them milling the extractor river on the inside of the bolt or the bottom of he outside?

New cases chamber fine and fired cases don't whether resized or not.

What is the case body diameter after firing and again after sizing? Meaning is the die reducing the case body diameter enough. You might just have a oversized die.

no more than .550 at the base (I like to see a bit less)... I had an oversized 7rum chamber that would split sizing dies at .556" or so... You can't fool around with bad dimensions too much with the rums or stuff either doesn't work or breaks.

I think that I had a similar problem with a Rem 700 in 25/06. With new brass there was no problem all. After firing and full resizing the brass may or may not chamber. Rotate brass just a little to find the correct position and round would chamber. I tried 3 different sizing dies and never did find a solution. Chamber was egg shaped some way. I sold rifle to someone at a much reduced price. He replaced barrel.
Regards

I guess that's possible, where would I begin to look for measurements to compare my die to?

You measure the resized case body and see how much smaller in diameter it is from its fired diameter.

Color the entire case with a black felt tip marker after sizing and see where the case is rubbing or binding in the chamber.

1. Is the die oversized and not reducing the case diameter.
2. Is the case body bulging and rubbing in one area.
3. If the case is bulging on one side is it the chamber or bad brass.

A case with unequal case wall thickness can warp when fired. The thin side of the case expands more and the case becomes egg shaped. The case can even become banana shaped with the base of the case no longer 90 degrees to the axis of the bore.

I have seen warped cases but they were all fired in large diameter military chambers.

NECO Case Gauge
https://www.neconos.com/item/Concentricity-Wall-Thickness-and-Runout-Gauge-12
"The NECO, patented, Case Gauge is the most versatile instrument available for measuring the various accuracy determining factors of cartridge cases, bullets and loaded ammunition. No other gauge can measure all of the following: 1.Banana curvature of case. 2.Wall and neck thickness variations. 3.Case head squareness. 4.Banana curvature and out-of-round shape of individual bullets. 5.Runout of seated bullet. 6.Total runout of loaded cartridge."

Last edited:
I think that I had a similar problem with a Rem 700 in 25/06. With new brass there was no problem all. After firing and full resizing the brass may or may not chamber. Rotate brass just a little to find the correct position and round would chamber. I tried 3 different sizing dies and never did find a solution. Chamber was egg shaped some way. I sold rifle to someone at a much reduced price. He replaced barrel.
Regards
How much would a smith charge to clean up the chamber and set things back a bit and true the action while he's at it?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.