6.5 PRC Extraction Problem

Carbon on the necks is not uncommon. I get it all the time but you need to clean it off the brass before reloading it. Running suppressed will increase back pressure into the chamber some. My brass in both my PRCs is completely different looking suppressed vs unsuppressed. Try shooting it without the suppressor and see what happens, process of elimination. Be sure you're cleaning your brass real good. Get that Carbon off the necks and clean your chamber real good with a chamber mop. The PRC chamber can be a pain with ADG brass, then add a suppressor, dirty brass, etc, and it gets even worse. I ended up modifying mine to the 6.5PRC AW2 and no more clicker or extraction issues.

I would like to get some advice on a problem I am having with my 6.5 PRC. My load is 156 Berger, 215M, ADG brass, and 59.1 Retumbo at 2.975 (long action). I am on my 2nd-3rd reload on this brass. I am having no pressure signs at all, but I am having some severe extraction problems. No heavy bolt lift or effects on accuracy, but I am having a problem getting the bolt to pull back after lifting it. I have tried to measure for differences, but I cannot find any real differences. I thought it was a carbon ring, so I cleaned with CLR to try to remove it. It was good for a few shots, and then the extraction problem started again. Any ideas on what might be causing this?
Lot's of people have had issues with the ADG brass in the 6.5PRC.

The shortest and quickest answer is you probably need a small base body die because your factory dies are not resizing it enough from the web up about half way on the body.

A carbon ring isn't going to cause issues with extraction generally.

Take some virgin brass and measure the diameter just above the case head, then again about half an inch up and about an inch or inch and a quarter up.

Compare that to the same measurements on your 3x fired brass and see how much growth there is in the case body.

Most factory dies simply won't work that portion of the case sufficiently and eventually then it starts fitting too tight.

Be sure when you start resizing it to have patience and have it well lubricated. When it starts feeling like you're using too much pressure back off, rotate the case about a quarter inch, and repeat slowly working it all the way down and it should solve your issues.

Tagging in.
I have the exact same problem with a 300prc except I'm shooting factory hornady match ammo?? I can lift the bolt but must tap handle open to extract the brass.

Christensen long action with OMR (mcgowen blank and chamber) Remage barrel
Take a look at this thread. I also have an OMR, Oregon Mountain Rifles, barrel. I'm the 3rd person that has discovered this issue. Lee is rough reaming his chambers which is causing issue. Not sure if this is your issue, but it sounds IDENTICAL to mine!!!

Take the bolt out and shine a light into the chamber and see if it's smooth or rough.

Here's the video with my borescope so you can see the chamber issues.

Last edited:
Update on the problem: the chamber is super rough. Looks like it never had a finish reamer run in it. Going to email OMR and see what they can do about it.

Update on the problem: the chamber is super rough. Looks like it never had a finish reamer run in it. Going to email OMR and see what they can do about it.
I told you! Tell Lee that Gian said hello and I'm still waiting for him to resolve my issue or maybe he "lost" my e-mail.

Last edited:
I reload fo my boss and his son Christensen ridgeline 6.5prc
my boss left it with me to shoot some reloads,and he had just cleaned the bore.
I notices he had hoppes or some other kind of oil on the magazine follower,inside chamber,and I think in the bore.
I always heard no oil in bore and chamber,correct?
because this morning I was experiencing the same thing as what you guys are talking about,can't extract the fired round

I notices he had hoppes or some other kind of oil on the magazine follower,inside chamber,and I think in the bore.
because this morning I was experiencing the same thing as what you guys are talking about,can't extract the fired round

Do a search on here about "6.5PRC extraction issues or clickers". There's tons of info.

Here you go. It's a known issue with the PRC cartridges.

because this morning I was experiencing the same thing as what you guys are talking about,can't extract the fir... .

Any oil at all in the bore can cause you catastrophic pressure spikes.

Run a dry patch through a time or two to remove it before firing.

It is not partially extracted so I'm having to smack the hold rearward with increasing difficulty. I am shooting suppressed, and this rifle has had carbon on the necks since day one, suppressed and unsuppressed.
Carbon in the neck area is not a problem. You almost certainly have a carbon ring build up a few inches into the bore. This is not an uncommon problem at all.

Your biggest issue however is going to be the rough chamber. A little extra pressure and the brass marries itself into those grooves making extraction extremely difficult.

Last edited:

Recent Posts