300wsm brass, sticky extraction question

lotek

my new "to me" Savage 300wsm. Is having a little resistance extracting both 180g Win rounds and 150g Rem. But no problems with the 165g Fed. Fusion
I'm thinking there are 2 considerations for this problem. 1: Temps are mid 90s, and the Win and Rem are near max loads. 2: The Federal Fusion is listed as 3100 for 165g, so may not be as hot. No flattened primers on any of them
when I re-chamber the spent brass, the Fed. is smooth but the others are stiff when closing the bolt. I'm guessing full resizing will be ok.

I have FC brass be about .001 or so smaller in outside diameter than other brands like Remington. It can also be a little shorter at the shoulder. This may be why it is easier to camber after the one firing than the others. I think full length sizing will fix the Rem and Win brass.

I have noticed the sticky extraction issue too. . The cases of the WSMs, RCMs, RUMs are thicker and all seem to have this problem. I believe it is due to less springback which can show up with a little as one firing. Some cases don't show this issue till second or third firings. Some layout fluid or a sharpie applied to the case will show where the case is hanging up.

I have heard of sanding and polishing the rear of the chamber larger but it would seem to me the real correction would be to have die's internal dimension made slightly smaller than what the manufacturer's are currently using. There seems to be a standard difference in dimension between chamber and die for all cases regardless of thickness. ( I talked to Dave Kiff about this once and he admitted that there is a standard dimension difference which I can't quote as I forgot) IMO the sizer dies don't reduce the OD of the web area which has less spring back.

I have posted this numerous times on several threads. I had whidden make me a special FL die to suit my needs and the 338 RCM no longer has sticky extraction. Also made a ''sizer sleeve'' by cutting off the top and bottom of a FL sizer die. To date I have a 338 RCM and 300 RUM sleeve. If I ever get a WSM I'll make one for that as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.