Mile shot

WoW practice at a mile! I used to shoot 1000 yards just to check the trajectory scale. But after many years I totally trust my scales. What is your rifles caliber? What is the cost of the shells?

Here in the West, from time to time, we have 1 mile matches and even people who shoot farther, formal and informal, so practicing at 1 mile is no big thing. Think of your practicing at 1,000 and just extend it.

With today's LRF, wind meters, barometers, cell phone ballistic apps, etc, trajectory is the more simple part of shooting LR/ELR on large game, for it is wind reading that really separates hits from misses.

As for ELR hunting calibers, usually, I use 300 RUMS and 338's, but just for fun, I have used a fast twist 22-250AI with heavy VLDs on the 1 mile gongs. Just to prove a point.

"Cost of shells"? I never consider that for my ELR shooting.

Last edited:
That is some amazing shooting, sir!

What kind of reactions do you get on facebook?

I'm like a lot of others- just wont go there. I saw Fb as a complete waste of my time on this rock so quit it years ago and wont go back.

Btw, welcome to Long Range Hunting- the forum. You've obviously been around long range hunting for awhile!

That is some amazing shooting, sir!

What kind of reactions do you get on facebook?

I'm like a lot of others- just wont go there. I saw Fb as a complete waste of my time on this rock so quit it years ago and wont go back.

Btw, welcome to Long Range Hunting- the forum. You've obviously been around long range hunting for awhile!
Thanks for the welcome. You can visit FB with out having an account. My account is open to public. Yes I have done long range for a long time, and yes I am old. Almost 60. I have helped many others take elk at long range, making memories.

Here in the West, from time to time, we have 1 mile matches and even people who shoot farther, formal and informal, so practicing at 1 mile is no big thing. Think of your practicing at 1,000 and just extend it.

With today's LRF, wind meters, barometers, cell phone ballistic apps, etc, trajectory is the more simple part of shooting LR/ELR on large game, for it is wind reading that really separates hits from misses.

As for ELR hunting calibers, usually, I use 300 RUMS and 338's, but just for fun, I have used a fast twist 22-250AI with heavy VLDs on the 1 mile gongs. Just to prove a point.

"Cost of shells"? I never consider that for my ELR shooting.
Thanks for the response. You have a lot of rifles to dial in. I will have to google those long range shoots. Sounds like fun.

Maybe I'm missing something....found you on FB scrolled through your page....nothing on the one mile Elk....But I did see your 2013 post.

Not sure if it's your posting style or the lack of pics or combo of both that is causing the skepticism. New account with claims of 5-6 shots in the boiler room at a mile with no pics or video is gonna raise some eyebrows on this page.

1669387443466.png

Maybe I'm missing something....found you on FB scrolled through your page....nothing on the one mile Elk....But I did see your 2013 post.

Not sure if it's your posting style or the lack of pics or combo of both that is causing the skepticism. New account with claims of 5-6 shots in the boiler room at a mile with no pics or video is gonna raise some eyebrows on this page.

View attachment 412473
You are missing something, I the first 6 post on my Facebook account are about the elk hunting this 2022 season.

Everyone knows I love long range but I'm gonna say it, 5 shots in the vitals at a mile, all 5 pencil through, 1.5 hour drive to find the animal, I personally would be rethinking what I'm doing
I have a funny filling in my gut on this story legit or not , I will leave those long shots for someone else my range limit is going to be 600 yds , with a bullet that won't pencil thru . No offense intended if this story is true all I can say is wow mission accomplished.

I've shot the 300 SMK enough at 1000 yrds not to doubt it. I shot 7 rounds with less than 2" vertical , 8" horizontal spread with a factory wbee (bedded) at 1000 yds last time I took it out. At a mile looks like Berger may be better choice?

Last edited: