Long Range shot gun???

o2bwest

I was just day dreaming about a shotgun that could shoot #4 buck out 200yds with a tight enough pattern to kill a coyote. What would it take? Every thing I find online is guys shooting slugs.

I've shot through walls and car doors with bird shot at 200 yards with a 16 inch bbl. sawed off. Not at a live animal, mind you, but at old buildings, old cars, ect... Punch a hole right through the first wall and destroys everything behind it.

I've shot through walls and car doors with bird shot at 200 yards with a 16 inch bbl. sawed off. Not at a live animal, mind you, but at old buildings, old cars, ect... Punch a hole right through the first wall and destroys everything behind it.
Are you kidding me? I've been shot (or as we call it "peppered") several times on the dove fields from 100-150 yards away with 28-30" barreled shotguns shooting high-brass, and I don't have any lead ingrained in me. There's absolutely NO way you shot a 16" shotgun 200 yards accurately, and it not bounce off the walls.

Are you kidding me? I've been shot (or as we call it "peppered") several times on the dove fields from 100-150 yards away with 28-30" barreled shotguns shooting high-brass, and I don't have any lead ingrained in me. There's absolutely NO way you shot a 16" shotgun 200 yards accurately, and it not bounce off the walls.

To me it sounds like one of two things: Typo -- buckshot instead of birdshot.

or

cut shells, which have their own nightmarish set of problems. :)

For #4 buck on target at 200 yards, I think you'd need a custom .24 cal blackpowder rifle. ;)

Matt

We used to play around with opening up the shell and pouring melted deer tallow in and adding extra shot and let get hard. We shot to about 100 yards with shot.

being from Ohio we know shotguns and I'm hear to tell u that your not going to shoot thru any wall or car door with birdshot at 200yrds with any length barrel especially not a sawed of 16 even if you used 00 buckshot with a 16in sawed off you might get one maybe two pellet in a car door at 200

I'm sorry but no you haven't. It isn't even within the realm of what is possible.

being from Ohio we know shotguns and I'm hear to tell u that your not going to shoot thru any wall or car door with birdshot at 200yrds with any length barrel especially not a sawed of 16 even if you used 00 buckshot with a 16in sawed off you might get one maybe two pellet in a car door at 200
No the energy simply isn't there. You might be able to crack a window but that's about it.

No the energy simply isn't there. You might be able to crack a window but that's about it.
your exactly right, I should've worded it differently I should have said "you might hit the door but not penetrate with maybe one or two 00 pellets"

Whats that????? You must have a super shotgun and shells made by God himself!!!! Let me know if you ever want to get rid of that shotgun because i want it! But seriously there is no way that you did that.... sorry but that is impossible.

To me it sounds like one of two things: Typo -- buckshot instead of birdshot.

or

cut shells, which have their own nightmarish set of problems. :)

For #4 buck on target at 200 yards, I think you'd need a custom .24 cal blackpowder rifle. ;)

Matt

Wow...you guessed it right off the bat....CUT SHELLS.....no choke. I won a lot of bets with that one.

Not to practicle or accurate though.....just for showin off.

So, anyone go out this weekend and try the "cut shell" deal....maybe out of morbid curiousity?

Like I said, you can win a lot of bets with that one!!

we call it ringing a shell its an old fox hunting trick from years past done it for years it will kill anything you point at if your gun shoots strait I must say though that I don't think a smooth bore 16in with a ringed shell would be effective at 200 yards maybe 100 and that would be just by chance ...

we call it ringing a shell its an old fox hunting trick from years past done it for years it will kill anything you point at if your gun shoots strait I must say though that I don't think a smooth bore 16in with a ringed shell would be effective at 200 yards maybe 100 and that would be just by chance ...

Like I said.....not practical and not accurate. Just a good way to win a bet...nothing more. You just need to be able to "hit the side of a barn" to prove your point. :D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.