Metplat trimming

D Scott

anyone out there using a Metplat trimmer or bullet pointer , to improve consistency with their hollowpoints ? thanks Scott

I don't trim meplats, but others do. I don't see how it would make that much difference, but you could try a before and after and let us know how you get on.

Cheers.
gun)

IMO Kevin of Montour County Rifles makes one of the best meplat uniformers, with better uniformity and using a pointer with Bergers, JLKs, Matrix, etc.. vlds there is a possible 5-7% gain in ballistic coefficient. Uniforming alone will lower the bc, and as for consistency it won't show much of a difference until 1k and farther.

Berger changed their dies on 6mm vld. Now the regular boattail 105gr has better b.c. than the vld. Would probably better to point these new vld.

I've dabbled with meplat uniforming (MCR Tool) on a 100 or so 300grn SMK's. They sure look good afterward :D I scrapped my 338 before I was able to test them on anything fuzzy. Expansion should be a little more prevalent with the the meplats trimmed as the hollow point is a little larger.

Pointing is a different bag, pointing does tend to increase BC by quite a bit however, I cringe when I think of the terminal ballistics a FMJ would offer in a hunting scenario.

t

Just a guess they'll probably start tumbling internally instead of fracturing. But I think they'll stay stable a lot longer in flight.

Does pointing and trimming make a difference? I think so for long range target shooting where ½" at 1000 can make all the difference with a close score after a few days shooting and where expansion means squat to paper. I don't think a deer will notice the small BC improvement with pointing but will take notice to a bullet not expanding. Trimming is usually conducted in conjunction with pointing to uniform the BC. There is little advantage by conducting these reloading procedures for big game hunting. Maybe so if you are ELR hunting and know when to do one or both to improve results. I point and trim when necessary only for target shooting and ELR testing.

Take care to understand what you're really doing with meplat trimming. There can be detriment to it.
You're not uniforming meplats to a standard diameter, you're trimming noses to length based on datums varying by ogive radius.
Meplat diameters, and their variance has a really big effect on BC/BC variance.

To prevent creating variance -with trimming, you need to first qualify bullets by ogive radius. This is qualifying datums for nose trimming.

I agree that Kevin Cram's trimmer is excellent, and Hoover's pointer is excellent.

I totally agree and think trimming only would be better for game.
But for paper I'd be willing to try trimming pointing but unfortunately my reloads are already better than my shooting!

I have shot 10 deer and 2 coyotes with the Hornady 285gr BTHP .338 bullet which came pointed from the factory. All the animals showed massive tissue damage. Shot with a .338 EDGE at 2980fps. The fact that the bullets were pointed did not seem to hurt the bullet's performance. I have pointed some 300gr Bergers and they shot about 1 moa flatter at 1200yds, but have not shot any game with the pointed Bergers. Gary

Yeh a .277 pointed is probably less desire able. ANYTHING .338 has so much *** (s.d.) it aint goin to matter much.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.