Case trimming

johngibbs222

I have two ruger single shots that I reload for, a #1 in 308 win and a #3 in 223 rem.
I do trim them but they don't really need it, I just manage to make the case mouth shiny. II believe this is down to the fact that I only ever neck size the cases, always have. Some of the federal 308 brass I've just retired after the 15th reload, they have never been annealed and sometimes I let them go 3 loadings without even trying to trim them.
Initially I wasn't happy with the 223 remington brass, but a change of powder to D073.6 lovex has expanded the cases to fit my chamber nicely, the cfe 223 I used before always exhibited signs of low pressure in that the primers were pushed back slightly but they, too, didn't need much trimming.
Is this unusual?

Yeah sounds pretty normal to me.
With 223Rem I don't do a lot of trimming or annealing. Just neck sizing with shoulder bumping as needed.
Have never needed to replace a case.

Johngibbs22 good for you that you don't have to trim much and only neck size. If you have good accuracy and SD ED AND your brass holds up you have a good system. Are you reloading for hunting or target?
Personally I anneal with a AMP then FL size every case and then run each case through our Henderson Trimmer at the same length (always). To begin with all neck thickness is the same by turning necks. Sure it may take a little longer reloading, but every case that we reload is the same in dimensions. So when we reload the "CASES" are the same. Then we just need to look at Powder weight, neck tension, and bullet seating. You can also talk about case weight & H2O capacity, but I found out using Lapua Brass, the cases are so close that I don't sort. Measured a lot of them with a NECO Case Gauge and Lapua are really close. Accuracy has a lot to do with the knowledge of shooting in your environment!

I do target and hunting, I suppose it's true to say that most of my rounds hit paper or metal whilst the others are game shots, with the 223 the most is less than the 308 and more ammo gets shot at game. Even so, I suppose I shoot a total of less than 50 rounds of centre fire at game in a good year, especially now as I lurch towards my 78th birthday and my blood lust is diminishing.
Also, earlier this week, I tripped and fell flat on my face for the first time, sober as a judge, I gotta say it dinted my confidence quite a bit. Just a bit of scraped skin and some bruises to my hands and knees but the morale effect is quite unquantifiable and definitely a work in progress.

I do target and hunting, I suppose it's true to say that most of my rounds hit paper or metal whilst the others are game shots, with the 223 the most is less than the 308 and more ammo gets shot at game. Even so, I suppose I shoot a total of less than 50 rounds of centre fire at game in a good year, especially now as I lurch towards my 78th birthday and my blood lust is diminishing.
Also, earlier this week, I tripped and fell flat on my face for the first time, sober as a judge, I gotta say it dinted my confidence quite a bit. Just a bit of scraped skin and some bruises to my hands and knees but the morale effect is quite unquantifiable and definitely a work in progress.
Hey John
God Bless you for your 78th Birthday.

Sorry hear that you fell, and glad that you were not hurt seriously...

We all can trip/fall.

Several months ago I missed the last step going to the basement. I had my hands full with some reloading components. I took the last step into nothingness and the next feeling of falling was my face hitting the concrete floor and one hand arm.
Luckily I only had bruises and pain-nothing broken except my feeling of failure miss the step.

Makes my heart happy that you, at 78, are still reloading and shooting.
If Jill and I can ever help you out with anything for reloading/shooting/gunsmithing please contact us.
God Bless
Len & Jill

I have been shooting and reloading since 1972 on a 30.06. Springfield brass in a Winchester Model 70. Have over 13 firings on the brass with no deformation or evidence of deterioration. I have only neck resized these and measure length at every reload. If memory serves me right they have only needed to be trimmed once or twice in that time. The more full length resizing and working the brass will push the neck length to require trimming. Have not needed to anneal the brass as it fits nice and snug when closing the bolt. The only draw back is that the ammo can not be shared with other shooters due to being form fitted to this specific chamber. Cheers.

May you heal quickly and God grants you many more healthy years enjoying family, shooting, and whatever else brings you happiness.

I have been shooting and reloading since 1972 on a 30.06. Springfield brass in a Winchester Model 70. Have over 13 firings on the brass with no deformation or evidence of deterioration. I have only neck resized these and measure length at every reload. If memory serves me right they have only needed to be trimmed once or twice in that time. The more full length resizing and working the brass will push the neck length to require trimming. Have not needed to anneal the brass as it fits nice and snug when closing the bolt. The only draw back is that the ammo can not be shared with other shooters due to being form fitted to this specific chamber. Cheers.
Sheldon, I don't see that as a drawback, how can you know if your friends guns or your second/third/fourth rifles are up to handling your own reloads.
I never offer my reloads or ask to use other peoples. I take care of mine but with the best will in the world I don't know how much effort anyone else applies nor they me. Just my 2 cents.

Thank God you weren't hurt bad. A bit of bruised ego, maybe? Get well quickly. Still shooting and reloading at 78 is very cool! 223 and 308 are my main stays also. I don't need to trim all that often either. Lucky on that point. Take care. Stay safe and have fun!