Case Trimming

desertbull

I have 300 WM that I am using Nosler brass and fairly stiff loads. I have about 6 firings on the brass and still have no need to trim. It has not grown at all. I using full length dies and bumping the shoulder .002.

Is this common?

I had the the head space on the barrel set with my Nosler brass that was sized in my die, and then double checked with go/no go gages. I think this is why I getting no brass growth, but I am not an expert on that kind of stuff.

I just want to make sure there is not an underlying problem I should be concerned with.

Thanks

Last edited:
I agree. U anneal? I usually do magnums every firing and non magnum every 2 or 3. It's seems to me that your case neck is prolly hard as a brick by now if u have not annealed therefore will not get much growth. Typically from what I have seen from nosler brass the OAL is about .010 shorter than a majority of published trim to lengths. That would get u a firing or two before needing to trim anyhow and if u are not annealing then by that point in my experience that case neck is already started to get hard. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck brother

I don't see how there is any problem at all.
I routinely have this with every one of my cartridges, and have never lost one to reloading cycles.

Chambers and resizing dies vary in size, meaning diameter and headspace length.
When full length resizing the brass can only flow upward into the neck increasing the case length.
Your chamber and die are a close match and not excessively squeezing the case.
Congratulations you have a "custom die" that fits your chamber dimensions and didn't know it.
If you want to see your cases grow then buy a small base die and you can trim your cases all the time. :)

wm05ArY.gif

Another reason to only bump the shoulders instead of pushing it back to the rat turd in a violin case or whatever that ridiculous saying is... I am amazed at how rare it is for my trimmer to sit anywhere but below my reloading bench since I started neck sizing and bumping.

If you are pushing stiff loads regardless of no length increase still might be a good idea to measure above the rim and then 1/4 up the case head.

I am a annealing fool. All my cases get run thru

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.