My family has several Carbon6 barrels and whether it was their machining or the McGowen barrel itself we have not been particularly happy with any of them. Bad chambers, some pressure out with several less grains than other rifles, average accuracy, they just generally haven't
The chambering is a C6 issue and nothing to do with McGowen, also CF wrapped barrels are generally more prone to issues than traditional steel. This is from first hand experience

I was trying to find the chamber length using a bullet with empty brass. Bullet got stuck in the chamber, it wouldn't knock free with tapping the butt on the ground, I only had wooden dowels available to try to push the bullet out, and those dowels got stuck in the bore. After freeing the bullet a couple days later by drilling into the back of it, I tried carefully drilling out some of the dowels, but I ended up touching the rifling with the drill bit after the bit split the dowels. It was a big learning experience full of moments when I knew I should have slowed down to think a little more, but I ignored that thought in favor of getting things done "quicker". Now I get to spend hundreds of dollars instead.
In addition to the Hornady tool, pick up a 5/16-36 tap and a 7.3mm drill bit so you can make your own brass that fits the tool, since they don't make every cartridge for it.
Then get yourself some cleaning rods, or a whole cleaning set. They tap the bullet out fine if it gets stuck.

Rather than a new barrel, a gunsmith can probably cut and re-chamber that barrel, or if it's on the other end, just cut and crown, or ideally go ahead and thread it. You'll loose a few inches, but probably money ahead. Especially on a patriot.

In addition to the Hornady tool, pick up a 5/16-36 tap and a 7.3mm drill bit so you can make your own brass that fits the tool, since they don't make every cartridge for it.
Then get yourself some cleaning rods, or a whole cleaning set. They tap the bullet out fine if it gets stuck.

Rather than a new barrel, a gunsmith can probably cut and re-chamber that barrel, or if it's on the other end, just cut and crown, or ideally go ahead and thread it. You'll loose a few inches, but probably money ahead. Especially on a patriot.
The damage is kinda in the middle of the barrel, so there's no cutting that could legally be done. Got the cleaning rod already, that's what finally ended up pushing the dowels out. Also, I already ordered a barrel, so I guess I'm committed.

The damage is kinda in the middle of the barrel, so there's no cutting that could legally be done. Got the cleaning rod already, that's what finally ended up pushing the dowels out. Also, I already ordered a barrel, so I guess I'm committed.
Let us know how it turns out. It'd be interesting to hear how the Mossy does!

Went with X-Caliber. It was the slightly cheaper one, and lead times were 4 weeks faster.
Guns N Roses GIF

Hotel California Quote GIF by CBC

Welcome to the barrel swappers club, get ready to order a few more once you get a feel for how easy they go together!

Now my biggest issue is finding an action wrench that will fit. I'm reaching out to PT&G and Wheelers to see if their Remington 700 wrenches will work. SAC can't confirm if any of theirs will work, though I imagine if I can send them dimensions of the bolt lugs, etc., they could probably help out.

I prefer interior wrenches, but Wheeler does make an external wrench that would be something at least. Might not be bad for breaking a factory barrel off:

I'm looking at their Action Wrench #2, which is for round body receivers. I too would prefer an interior wrench, hence reaching out to PT&G and SAC.
I have one, not a fan unless I need to break a really old barrel off. Now for some tips on breaking an old barrel off. I have changed out barrels on 721's and 722's and man are they a bitch. I have the wheeler barrel vise and it sucks. If you are trying to take off an old barrel they just spin in the vise, even with rosin. If you want to try and save the barrel, first try to heat them up to get that thread locking guuuu they put in there eons ago to turn to liquid again. I try not to go too hot as I worry about warping the receiver. I never want to save the factory REM barrels so what I do is weld it to an I-beam, C-channel or anything else big and stationary. Then I can typically break them off with some he-man heroics. When I say these suckers are stuck on there, I mean it. I have done about half a dozen or so REM 700, 721, 722 barrel changes and all were really hard to get off without welding them to something. I then proceed to true them up, open up the feed ramps for more COL, re-finish them, etc. If you want to change newer barrels get the Short Action Customs modular action wrench, It is the bees knees. It has interchangeable heads and puts the stress on the inside of the action and helps keep your finish. If using the Wheeler, use plenty of drywall tape around the areas of contact and don't tighten the bolts down too much. I am going to buy the SAC barrel vise too. It looks way better than the ****** wheeler one with the wood blocks that tend to split. SAC makes a lot of nice gizmos and gadgets.

I'm very happy with X Caliber barrels. I'm up to 14 barrels from them. All have shot very well 4 of them are used in NRL Hunter competitions. I have had two sent back. One was a 270 WSM that was leaving a ring around the center of the case and the other was a 6mm ARC that the chamber was to tight. Both times they sent new barrels back to me. Great people to work with

Recent Posts