JumpinLegs

I'm rebarreling my rifle after I accidentally damaged the rifling substantially. It's a Mossberg Patriot. Since it's a budget rifle and my first rebarrel, I'm going with a budget barrel brand. I'm looking at X-Caliber and McGowen right now. Which would you choose? They're within $30 of each other when optioned as I want. I've decided on rebarreling instead of buying a new rifle as I can't spend the cash on a new rifle of the quality that I want, but a new barrel (plus related tools that I would need) is doable. I also have wanted to get into gunsmithing more, and a prefit Savage-style barrel setup as the Mossberg has seems like a good start for learning.

So, McGowen or X-Caliber?

I'd flip a coin. As they're both relatively local to me I've done some looking into both. McGowan does make the blanks for Carbon6 if that means anything.

both make decent hunting barrels. both have a fair amount of complaints about the gunsmithing. X-caliber has the better customer service and will be easier to deal with
if your going to be shooting the rifle more than average go with X-caliber they have better barrel steel and will outlast Mcgowan in the accuracy department.

My Xcaliber in 22-250 AI shoots very well, especially considering their price. If you search around (especially on Rokslide) you'll see that McGowan has had quite a bit of QC issues and CS issues.

Xcaliber frequently runs a 20% off sale around the holidays. If not in a huge hurry, I'd wait for Black Friday.

My Xcaliber in 22-250 AI shoots very well, especially considering their price. If you search around (especially on Rokslide) you'll see that McGowan has had quite a bit of QC issues and CS issues.

Xcaliber frequently runs a 20% off sale around the holidays. If not in a huge hurry, I'd wait for Black Friday.
X-Caliber actually has a 20% off sale right now. After posting here and elsewhere, the vote has been heavily in favor of X-Caliber, so I put in an order. The estimate lead time was almost 4 weeks faster with X-Caliber compared to McGowen, which also played to their favor.

Those guys put out a lot of bad info about McGowen barrels among other things..

I've literally used 6 McGowens now and every single one shoots .5s or better.
My newest is a 300 NMai and I shot a 5/8" 3 round group at 200 yards over the weekend.

I've built a pile of rifles with top tier barrels costing $1000+ and none of them would out shoot a McGowen.

Those guys put out a lot of bad info about McGowen barrels among other things..

I've literally used 6 McGowens now and every single one shoots .5s or better.
My newest is a 300 NMai and I shot a 5/8" 3 round group at 200 yards over the weekend.

I've built a pile of rifles with top tier barrels costing $1000+ and none of them would out shoot a McGowen.

I'm not discounting your experience with McGowan at all as it sounds like you've had great luck with them. However, I'm not willing to take the gamble on them with recent reports of what is coming out of their shop.

I'm not discounting your experience with McGowan at all as it sounds like you've had great luck with them. However, I'm not willing to take the gamble on them with recent reports of what is coming out of their shop.
I hope you are pleased with your choice.

I would not want to be in the barrel manufacturing business because any disappointment or accuracy problems would be attributed to barrel quality and the barrel maker would receive heat.

There are an infinite number of reasons like shooter ability, ammo quality, & environmental conditions that cause frustration and dissapointment and the barrel is usually blamed.

I hope you are pleased with your choice.

I would not want to be in the barrel manufacturing business because any disappointment or accuracy problems would be attributed to barrel quality and the barrel maker would receive heat.

There are an infinite number of reasons like shooter ability, ammo quality, & environmental conditions that cause frustration and dissapointment and the barrel is usually blamed.
I agree with that....... I bought a Rem 700 in 7rum from a fella, CHEAP, as he said it wouldn't shoot. Bought for the action at cheap price, got it home cleaned it, loaded a few rounds for it, and it printed right at an inch for me @ 100. So, shooter ability
does have a bit to do with it, as does the ammo used......JMHO